Wellspring Prep Reads! discussion

the boy who harnessed the wind

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bria (new)

Bria Tatum | 3 comments "if you want to make it, All you have to do is try". what i fell this passage means is that. anything is possible if you just try and never give up. i can relate to this because because when i wanted to write my own lyrics to my song. it took thought and knowledge because you had to know what you were talking about and it was very frusturating. i thought that i should maybe quit and then my mom just told me to keep trying, ever since then i kept trying and trying and i finally got a whole three songs down. in the story william kamkwamba used a simple prop to change a whole way of living.he was determined to make a windmill he read about them alot and decided he had what it took to make one. his parents and towns people thought he was going insane for wanting to do something like that. he didnt let that get him down he made a small project which was light. he used a small car bulb to hung from the ceiling and created light from the wind. soon he was proud of his success and he decided to go bigger than that so he got together some metal, tractor parts, switches that were homemade, and a circuit breaker, he read books about how Using Energy described how windmills could be used to generate electricity. Only two percent of Malawians have electricity, and the service is notoriously unreliable. William decided an electric windmill was something he wanted to make. Illuminating his house and the other houses in his village would mean that people could read at night after work. A windmill to pump water would mean that they could grow two crops a year rather than one, grow vegetable gardens, and not have to spend two hours a day hauling water. “A windmill meant more than just power,” he wrote, “it was freedom.”

For an educated adult living in a developed nation, designing and building a wind turbine that generates electricity is something to be proud of. For a half-starved, uneducated boy living in a country plagued with drought, famine, poverty, disease, a cruelly corrupt government, crippling superstitions, and low expectations, it’s another thing altogether. It’s nothing short of monumental.
nd a windmill pump. he used a bike to create energy. and he never gave up no matter what happened and no matter what anybody said. my overall expression of the book was that it was an inspiring book and it will teach anyone who reads it that you can do anything if you put your mind to it. i enjoyed the whole book and how it was a bout following your dreams. i would recommend this book to anyone who has a dream and would love to live it to the fullest. they would enjoy a book with such passion for their future, carear and there life. the story is a remarkable one and warrants the attention it is getting.
It confirmed a fundamental belief that the best we can do for Africa is provide access to information. Without the small library you might not have ever come across the windmill diagram...your achievement is a testament to the glaring need for access to information for all. the projest was a clean energy project. With no hope of getting the funds to go back to school, William continued his education by teaching himself, borrowing books from the small library at the elementary school in his village. One day, when William was 14, he went to the library searching for an English-Chichewa dictionary to find out what the English word “grapes” meant, and came across a fifth-grade science book called Using Energy. Describing this moment in his autobiography, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind (co-written with Bryan Mealer), William wrote, “The book has since changed others lives.” so this book is very inspiring

Annalise Venhuizen Kontras (annalisevkontras) | 32 comments Mod
Bria, I'm finding that a lot of this post is taking from webpages about the book and about Africa. Could you please write a post in your own words that answers theses four questions in order to get full credit:

1. What was your overall impression of the book?
2. Did you enjoy the plot, the messages, the author’s style, the characters, the ending? Why?
3. Who would you recommend this book for? Why?
4. What questions do you have about the book?

You can add quotes (things you didn't write) but just remember to put quotes around them. Thank you!

message 3: by Bria (new)

Bria Tatum | 3 comments 1.My overall impression of the book was that it was inspiring, but boring. The inspiring part was that he made electricity out of nothing but a bunch of props, and even though people thought he was crazy he worked hard and succeeded.
2. I'd say, yes, I enjoyed the message and the end. It was inspiring and made me think you can accomplish anything you want and maybe even get famous for it like he did.
3. I recommend the book for anyone who things they can't succeed, people who need suppport, encouragement, and self esteem.
4.The only question I have is how did it feel to be succesful and famous, was it easy to forget the hard work?

Annalise Venhuizen Kontras (annalisevkontras) | 32 comments Mod
Thanks, Bria!