Delirity discussion

Author H > The Kite Runner- K. Hosseini

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (new)

message 2: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I'm reading this right now, and I'm only on page 90 and I've already teared up. It so good so far, but so sad! And I really hate Amir right now for his behavior and how selfish he his! My favorite character by far is Hassan, and I feel horrible for him because of what he had to go through. He's one of those rare people that are way to selfless and nice. I had a hunch about what was going to happen to him. . .but still. I was wishing that I'd be wrong.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
I read this in January of '08. This was the comment I made back then:

Most people applaud this book as being amazing, as do I. The Kite Runner gives you a brief glimpse at the Russian and Taliban occupation of Afghanistan. (It's not the primary theme of the book, but a significant part of the book). I think it's so important because it shows people that not every Afghan is pro Taliban, anti-America, etc. Not that I haven't understood that since the beginning, but I can't believe the amount of people out there that don't believe that Afghans are capable of independent thought and that they're all out to get "us." Well, they can think for themselves, and not everyone is pro violence. They've grown up in an era of violence and that's negatively influenced a lot of people, some just failed to cope with it properly.

Anyway, the basic plot is one that a lot of people can understand and I think it's both gut-wrenching and heart-warming at the same time.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 120 comments Loved this book. Also, loved Thousand Splendid Suns. I am very happy to see this on the reading list for High School students... hopefully it will be an eye opener.

message 5: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I'm glad that I've finally gotten around to it, but I feel like having it as a school book takes away from the experience. I keep worrying about the notes I'm taking on it and the test that's coming up in september instead of just enjoying it.

The Hunger Games and The Book Thief are a part of my school's senior year corriculum and I'm dreading having to do those, because they are some of my all-time favorites and I'm scared my schools going to ruin them for me.

message 6: by Heather (new)

I'm amazed they can assign it. The one scene in it would make some parents complain.

I hated The Iliad when I had to read it in high school. I got it assigned again in college and I loved going through it.

message 7: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I think this is the first year they are doing it at my school, and no one has complained. . .yet.

I don't think I've ever read the Iliad, but I did read The Odyssey, who I think is by the same author, in elementary school or 5th grade. I remember being very bored throughout it.

message 8: by Heather (new)

The Odyssey bored me to death. I liked The Iliad, but you have to skip over all of the lists of names that are so common in epics and just read the story itself.

message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments This book was SOOOO GOOD. I really liked how it talked about the effects of the war in Afghanistan on the people of the country. I feel like I have a lot better insight and knowledge of it then I did before.

message 10: by Jess (new)

Jess | 120 comments Jasmine ☮ ♡ ♔ wrote: "This book was SOOOO GOOD. I really liked how it talked about the effects of the war in Afghanistan on the people of the country. I feel like I have a lot better insight and knowledge of it then I d..."

I think that this was such a well written book that enabled us to see us what their life is like. Heartbreaking to say the least. I follow a revolutionary group of women online that are trying to fight back against the Taliban and I just can't imagine facing what they face on a daily basis.
Glad that the younger generations are going to be able read about current events in school.

message 11: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I didn't think this book was THAT sad. I did tear up, but I found The Book Thief a lot sadder. I was simply bawling in that book.