Drama and Theatre discussion

Help please

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah E. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Sarah E. | 2 comments I am reading a play and I have to write an 8-10 page paper describing how I would present it to a theatre group to get it approved for the next season. Anybody have some ideas because I have no clue what goes into this process. Anything would help!

message 2: by Nikki (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Nikki | 3 comments It would help to know which play :) Basically point out why -this- play should be staged, why the audience will love it, why the cast will love playing these roles, etc. Also point out things like easy/cheap stage sets/costumes - basically put yourself into the director's/group leader's position and figure out what matters to you when you have to decide on a play.

message 3: by KC (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

KC | 4 comments It also depends on the group you're pitching to. If it's a community theatre, pitch the cast - more women's roles than men, easy set/costumes. If the group has a mission statement - staging American plays, staging the classics, etc, - pitch that angle. Don't go into deep dramatic analysis. These are people who already love theatre. Just tell them why this play will work for them - and for their audience.

message 4: by Sarah E. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Sarah E. | 2 comments The play is The Heidi Chronicles and the theatre group is hypothetical. I'm helping my sister out with a project so she doesn't self-combust with stress and this is a subject I have no idea about. I made a list yesterday of a few things that I felt would be important. I see I'm on the right track and you gave a few more. Your thoughts thusfar are helpful. Thank you and I might be asking more a long the way because, sheesh, what did I get myself into?

message 5: by Amy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Amy | 32 comments I've been on both sides of this question -- both making the pitch and making the decision.

Budget is very important and it should be as detailed as you can get it, with line items for each area you think you may spend in. Don't forget to include PR and royalties in the budget.

Is the hypothetical group going to read the script? Or will they just make their decision based on your presentation alone? This will make a difference in how much detail you include.

As Kc mentioned, it is important to establish what kind of group you are pitching and what their intended audience will ultimately be. This should be given much consideration.

Its kind of difficult to give more specific advice without knowing more about the organization and its intended audience. Do you get to designate this yourself?

Tell us more, and ask more questions....

message 6: by Joseph (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Joseph | 12 comments Hi Sarah. Since you're writing about an already established play, you can spend less time "selling" the script and focus on how you will produce the script. What is your vision for the play, and why is it the right play for you, for them, and for this moment in time.

Of course, you'll need to provide a reminder, in digest form, of the plot, number of characters, and primary themes (as you interpret them).

Also--very important--you'll want to answer practical budgeting questions. How much is it going to cost them to produce your vision of the play: set, costumes, props, personnel, royalties, PR, etc.

Good luck with your project!