The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Ghibli's animated film of Wizard of Earthsea released in US

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Released in 2006 in Japan, Studio Ghibli's animated film version of Ursula K Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea had its US premier last Friday (the 13th - dun dun dunnnn!).

Called Tales from Earthsea and distributed in the US by Disney, the film apparently takes some major liberties with the Earthsea plot and mood that Le Guin was not happy with.

I love Ghibili (Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro and Porco Rosso are still some of my favorite animated films), but what I've read about the plot changes makes me a bit nervous about this film. It's also worth noting that it's not directed by Hayao Miyazaki who's helmed most Ghibli films, but instead is the feature film debut of his son Gorō Miyazaki as director, a passing of the baton of sorts.

Despite some misgivings, I'll probably still give it a try.

message 2: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 17, 2010 11:20AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6252 comments Le Guin didn't like it either. (That's pronounced 'le-gwin' Tom.)

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments My understanding is that LeGuin liked it as a movie that has nothing to do with anything she wrote, unlike the SciFi Channel version, which was crap no matter how you look at it.

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6252 comments "Much of it was exciting. The excitement was maintained by violence, to a degree that I find deeply untrue to the spirit of the books."

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/GedoSenk...