Axis Mundi X discussion

Homeless pets...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments awww that is so sad - it is the same over here at the moment - we have a tv programme called The Paul O'Grady Show and every few weeks he brings in dogs from animal shelters and he does an adoption run - if you live in the area you can call the animal shelter adn adopt the dog. I think thats a good way of letting people know there are animals out there needing a good home.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Homeless pets are extremely sad. People who don't like animals or believe animals are our responsibility...let's just say I don't get them.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
Right there with you on that one. I think they let Vick off way too easy. Truth be told many (not all) breeders are just as bad.

message 5: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) A woman came into work yesterday (I work at the Humane Society) and adopted 4 cute puppies. I was told that she resells them for $200 a piece and makes a "profit." I think it's sick and can't believe that they let her do it.

message 6: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) Summer I thought they wouldn't let her do such a thing.
We adopted our dog from a local pet rescue group and they are very strict about their adoptions, they have an interview and everything. It was a great experience because they even help you get the pet that is right for your personality and life style. We love our coco!

I am pretty upset that they let her do that as well. It's good that you received your companion from a Good rescue. With a little effort they maximize the animal’s chances of being in the right home, by proxy ensuring it keeps its home.

message 8: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) Evidently the director knows her pretty well personally, so I suppose they trust that she sells them to "good people." Regardless, I think it goes against the Humane Society's foundation of beliefs.

My favorite aspect of the job is helping people figure out which animal best suits them. I may not know the animals' stats, but I surely know their personalities.

message 9: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments I used to have a little Yorkshire Terrier and he was the cutest dog in the world but I must admit I have a very queasy stomach and the smell of dog food makes me want to throw-up and so does the thought of clearing dog poo. I was only a kid when we had the dog so my mum and dad did those things.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I hate dog breeders and I hate when people buy designer dogs. There are too many in shelters and rescues who need homes. My pup is a rescue pup.

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth We used to live up on a ridge along the edge of town. For some reason it was an attractive area for people who didn't want to go to the trouble of finding new homes for their pets. "Oh, let's just go on up to Sunset Drive and dump them."

Lovely. Now we were the adoption agency.

message 12: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Jul 01, 2008 10:34AM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Does the woman who sells the puppies train them first? Housebreak them, teach them how to heel, sit, stay? Then, I could kind of understand...

message 13: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
My sister was evicted from her home of 12 years because the landlord sold it to a developer who is tearing it down. She has 4 cats and had been paying $900/month for a two bedroom with a big yard. They thought they were going to have to give up the cats because they couldn't find anything for months that was cheap enough and would take pets.

Luckily they finally found a place, which is rent to own, with a yard and she has all 4 cats with her still. But I had started to wonder what was going to happen with all the foreclosures. That is so sad.

Down at the river yesterday I say a family of 8 kittens who are maybe 8 weeks old, living under a deck on a restaurant, feral. They were all so skinny it almost made me cry. I'm planning on calling up the animal shelter and seeing if they need help on catching and neutering them. They do a catch, neuter and release program.

Oh man... they were so damn cute.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) There are a couple of feral cats outside our theatre. We feed them and made a sort of shelter place for them to get out of the heat and/or rain.

message 15: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) I have never had a cat, have had several dogs and birds, a turtle, fishes, but not a cat.

message 16: by Ruth (new)

Ruth People don't have cats. Cats have people.

message 17: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) Jackie, I don't know if she does or not. Somehow I doubt it.

Catch, neuter, and release does sound great. Our shelter has a low-income spay/neuter clinic which gets a lot of business, and all our animals are "fixed" before they go up for adoption. We work directly with Animal Control, which is also good for the animals.

Sarah, nothing grinds my gills worse than when someone comes in to the Humane Society and asks me if we have [blank] purebred there. My answer is always, "No, but we have plenty of other animals who need homes badly."

message 18: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) Summer a lot of times people really want to have a pet but want/need some of the characteristic that some breeds display, that others might not. Our family for example need it a dog that would shed minimal hair, because my husband is sensitive to their dandruf but not allergic, so we requested to be notified when a breed, or a mix breed that had "long" hair was available for adoption (poodle, lhapsa Apso, etc). The guys at the center were more than happy to do so, and now we are happy because we have a dog that fits our family perfectly.

message 19: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) Lorena, I do understand that need; there's a difference between that and the kind of people I'm talking about...Guess you'd have to be there to understand.

message 20: by Lori (last edited Jul 01, 2008 06:07PM) (new)

Lori Now I feel guilty for buying a purebred, don't do this to me! He's the first I've ever bought, all my others came straight from the street, not even the shelter. But my son really wanted a German Shepherd, and I wanted to be sure of the lineage (they are hip displacia poster dog) so I found a small breeder who is in it for the love of the dogs, and the line. She's mixing the American with the German - the German's are better built, no fucked up inbreeding but a much higher energy dog that must be worked, and the Americans tend to be sweeter temperamentally.

But we go to the dog park all the time and oh, the horror stories I've heard about the background of some of the dogs there. They are the lucky ones, they now have great owners and are happy dogs.

People are abusive or are even careless with their companion pets are disgusting. You don't get a dog so you can tie it up in the backyard all day. Never mind the other things people do.

message 21: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell <-----Half-breed

message 22: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) I had a German Shepherd growing up, he was the best companion ever, so sweet and protective. Now we have a Poodle/Lhapsa Apso little thing, he is so cute, he sits in my lap all the time and has a doggie bed in my daughter's bedroom and one in ours, he is like another kid in the house.

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Seriously, I'd never get another type of dog now.

message 24: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) I think it's good that a responsible owner takes care of the purebreds. Breeders will breed regardless, so at least they're going to a good place. We had a Golden Retriever growing up; he was purebred, but not well. His temperament was questionable at times, but as he aged, he got to be more mellow.

Quick observation, though: it seems that whenever people start talking about adopting pets, they never talk about cats! What does that mean? Do people not like cats as much, or is it that cats just wander up to houses and become pets that way? We adopt out 10x as many dogs/puppies as cats/kittens.

message 25: by Lori (last edited Jul 01, 2008 07:18PM) (new)

Lori Hmm, it may be easier to rescue stray cats than dogs, Summer. And the strays have a habit of picking their future home well. That's how I've gotten most of my cats. My 2 present ones were young feral kittens rescued by a friend of mine.

message 26: by Sarah (last edited Jul 01, 2008 07:55PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ooh, goodie! I get to show off my baby. Meet Riley:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

message 27: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) Both are so cute! Sarah, we have a dog at the shelter right now that looks just like Riley.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) How big is it? Riley is 60 lbs!!

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) She. Thanks!! The first 2 pictures are from her puppyhood. We think she might have Harrier in her because of her long legs.

<---My Dinah came from a rescue. She had just turned 3 when we got her from her foster home. We were shocked to discover that she had already had 2 litters of puppies. AT THAT AGE!

After a little investigation are spirits were raised though. The Breeder was convicted of animal cruelty and a few other charges. All of his Bitches we kennel kept. I am not talking about a 4 foot by 6 foot cage. I’m talking about the little crates. The only time they were out of the crates was to mate. Sadly Most of the puppies we so un-socialized that they would attack other animals at the rescue. Many of them were put down. But We Got Dinah and she was a handful at first. But She is happy balanced and healthy today. Next summer we are planning on getting her a friend. Probably another mastiff. Mastiff owners really need to know what they are doing, and a lot of people just don’t know how to deal with them.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) 2 litters in 3 years isn't that unusual is it?

2 litters by the time she was 3 years old.

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori That's really not that bad, Nick. But the circumstances were disgusting!

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori That's true. Hadn't thought of that.

It's a lot like pimping your 11 year old daughter out to buy drugs. Yeah sure she can physically have kids. It might kill her but you know, you will still be able to sell the kids.

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori Doggies in AV theme!

Yeah, she is doing well today. Hopefully even better next summer. I'm going to take an extra week off if we find another Mastiff. Dinah still wants to "correct" other dogs from time to time. So I need to be there to correct her. Establish that the new puppy is part of the household, and her friend.

Sleepy dog :) I wish I would be happy just sleeping all day.

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori How long have you had her now Nick?

Also, it's normal for an older dog to correct the youngsters. It depends on how it's done of course. But Dinah may really come into her own! I'd suggest a male.

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori Donna, in that pic your dude has such a fox-like face! So sweet.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,3...

This is just ridiculous...IMO

Lori, We have had her for a few years… Not sure exactly how long.

And yes, whatever our next dog is must be a boy, and pretty young. From a couple of Dog whisper types I know it is the best way to introduce a new friend into the house. With luck the transition will go smoothly if she sees him as her own.

message 42: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) How big is Dinah, Nick? My boss has a Mastiff that weighs 190 pounds--the biggest dog I've ever seen in person, but so cute!

Sarah, if Riley is 60 pounds, then she's definitely bigger than our little guy in the shelter. Definitely deceiving!

Dinah, is 206. She was 220-230 when we got her but a lot of walks and she firmed up and lost some wieght. Now she is 206 lb. of cuddly beast.

message 44: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments wow, Nick your dog weighs nearly twice as much as me. She'd knocked me flying if she jumped on me lol.

Eh, No worries, she doesn't jump. Actually if she doesn't know you she won't even let you get near her, or feed her. How many dogs do you know of that turn down food? But really she is a gentle giant, unless of course you run; move aggressively, toward me or Ann. Then watch out, because she will plant herself in the middle and I assure you, you don't want that. Something to put your nerves at easy, Mastiffs are not maulers. They pin. When you quit fighting they will quit fighting. They will still hold you down until called off, but you have to stop fighting first.

message 46: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments She sounds well sweet - my old dog was a Yorkshire Terrier and he was tiny but thought he was a rottwieler(sp), it was so fun, his bit didn't even hurt, it was like having some pinch you.

Lap dogs always think they are giants. :-D

Alright, I'm off, need sleep, getting weak, can't... see... losing... aaggghhhhhhhhh...

I love monty python. Have a good day everyone.

message 49: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments haha, he definitley thought that, we called him Scamp and he was the cutest dog ever - I miss him and he's been gone about 10 years now.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Summer, Riley looks like a Jack Russell Terrier only huge! Is the dog in your shelter a JRT?

Nick, that pup in that ad is too cute.

« previous 1