Much Ado About Hobbits discussion

The Library > Anime & Manga

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate , Supreme Ruler (new)

Kate  | 647 comments Mod
Hey guys, I know some of you are really in to anime and manga so here's where you can discuss your favorites.

message 2: by Bibliophile (new)

Bibliophile | 148 comments thanks

message 3: by Kate , Supreme Ruler (new)

Kate  | 647 comments Mod
Yep. So I personally, don't really read any manga, but I just realized that I do watch Avatar: The Last Airbender which is an anime show. Does anyone else watch it?

message 4: by Bibliophile (new)

Bibliophile | 148 comments My sis was obsessed with it...
I found it interesting...
Have you tried reading Katekyo Hitman Reborn? It's intended to be a gag manga and later becomes filled with battles...

Bakuman is one I also recommend. It is one that is of the beaten path, more realistic than battles. It also shows how difficult it is to be a mangaka (manga author and/or manga artist).

message 5: by Kate , Supreme Ruler (last edited Aug 29, 2010 03:18PM) (new)

Kate  | 647 comments Mod
Yeah a lot of my Goodreadian friends tell me that Bakuman is one I have to see. Wait, it is a show right? Or is it a book?

message 6: by Bibliophile (last edited Aug 29, 2010 06:12PM) (new)

Bibliophile | 148 comments It is a manga that could very well be on verge of becoming an anime.

Here's some spoilers to the first few chapters. Be warned!!!

It is partially a romance, with one of the main characters, Mashiro, in love with Azuki, another main character. Takagi, a straight-A student on the fast track, has loved manga since he was little. When Takagi sees Mashiro's drawings (which are all awesome sketches of Azuki), he instantly wants Mashiro to be his partner in writing manga.

Mashiro doesn't want to and Takagi understands. But he won't let Mashiro just waste time admiring Azuki, so he pressures Mashiro into confessing. When Mashiro confesses his love, Azuki says she feels the same, but has a dream to be a singer/voice actress.

Mashiro, not realizing what he's saying, blurts out his dream, being a mangaka, or manga author. Azuki says that they can be together when they both reach their dreams. Mashiro responds by asking if they can marry when he is good enough to have an anime for his manga and she can star in it. They agree on those terms.
And so Mashiro's goal looms in the future, with Takagi as his partner.

message 7: by Kate , Supreme Ruler (new)

Kate  | 647 comments Mod
Oh, so it's like a manga about a...manga...

message 8: by Bibliophile (new)

Bibliophile | 148 comments more than one, actually... They have many ideas, not all of them work.

There are currently about 100 chapters in the Bakuman series.

message 9: by Kate , Supreme Ruler (new)

Kate  | 647 comments Mod
oh wow! That's a lot!

message 10: by Bibliophile (new)

Bibliophile | 148 comments not as many as Detective Conan, it has over 700!

message 11: by Kate , Supreme Ruler (new)

Kate  | 647 comments Mod
jeez you really know you Anime/manga!

message 12: by Bibliophile (new)

Bibliophile | 148 comments I read a few of the better ones...

I am not what is considered an "otaku" though.

message 13: by Kate , Supreme Ruler (new)

Kate  | 647 comments Mod
what's an otaku?

message 14: by Bibliophile (new)

Bibliophile | 148 comments a geek.

see wapanese...