A History of Royals discussion

Royalty In Film > England: Natalie Dormer as Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (2011)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
Natalie Dormer to play the Queen Mother in Madonna’s new film

4 July 2010 8:42 AM, PDT | Hollywoodnews.com | See recent Hollywoodnews.com news »

HollywoodNews.com: Madonna has cast Natalie Dormer as Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, in a new film on the 1936 Edward VIII abdication crisis, said to be critical of the Queen and sympathetic toward Wallis Simpson, the American woman Edward VIII abdicated the throne to marry, the Telegraph reports.

Dormer, known for her portrayal of Henry VIII’s second and arguably most infamous wife, Anne Boleyn, on Showtime’s “The Tudors”, says of her real-life character, “This country tends to remember the Queen Mother as a rather wrinkly 97 year-old, but I am playing her when she was quite an enchanting, engaging twenty and thirty-something. She was quite a savage and savvy game player.” Quite like Anne Boleyn, then–clearly this is a role that Dormer will be right at home in playing.
- Whitney Milam

I think I am excited about this...

message 2: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 86 comments Yikes,
didn't know Madonna liked English history. Though she did a great job playing the Argentine Bad Girl Eva Peron.

message 3: by Kate. (new)

Kate. | 174 comments I love ND, I have a girl crush on her.

message 4: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Manuel wrote: "Yikes,
didn't know Madonna liked English history. Though she did a great job playing the Argentine Bad Girl Eva Peron."

She did! And I love her and ND, as well. I'm just having a hard time picturing Madonna in production or ND as the Queen Mum!

message 5: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Kate. wrote: "I love ND, I have a girl crush on her."

LOL IKR?

message 6: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 174 comments Madonna likes English history because she likes to pretend she is English LOL

I LOVE ND too!! She rocks!

message 7: by Marie Z (new)

Marie Z Johansen (mzjohansen) | 6 comments WOW! something to look forward to for certain!

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 71 comments So who is playing the part of Wallis Simpson? I read recently two bios, Shawcross's one about the Queen Mother, and Greg King's about WS. Very interesting to compare the two women.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh oh oh, this has gotten me sooooo excited!!!!!
I love Madonna, and I thought ND was awsome as AB!!!!!
Its going to be interesting to see the Queen Mother being played by such a young person... we do all just look at her when she was already old. I cant wait to see this!

message 10: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Rebecca wrote: "So who is playing the part of Wallis Simpson? I read recently two bios, Shawcross's one about the Queen Mother, and Greg King's about WS. Very interesting to compare the two women."

An actress named Andrea Riseborough is playing Wallis. (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ent...) and James D'Arcy is playing Edward (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0195439/).

message 11: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) Oh I am very excited by this! ND is amazing! Can't wait to see this :)

message 12: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

I'm so on the fence on this one. I want so badly for it to be good but I'm wondering if Madonna can actually direct?

Speaking of E8... anyone read The Woman He Loved by Ralph G. Martin?

message 13: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 345 comments Mod
I am defs interested in this movie but I also wonder if Madonna can direct...

Jennifer, I have not read that book; have you?

message 14: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

No but I own it. It used to be mom's so I've always had it but never gotten around to reading it. It's supposed to be quite good though.

message 15: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 345 comments Mod
I added it to my TBR :)

message 16: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) I saw it. Natalie has a very small part. It's very different. It paralleled two lives. A woman in the current day, who was named after Wallis and felt a connection with her. It felt a little like a Susanna Kearsley novel. The acting was great, but a little slow moving. I didn't realize half the movie was about present day.

message 17: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) I enjoyed this movie more about them:
http://www.amazon.com/Wallis-Edward-J...

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellelisa) | 12 comments I have that book and have read it many time..it is such an informative and interesting book.I loved it and have read it several times.I am very into the story of Wallis and Edward.
Madonna already has a new movie about the couple that was just released in Jan called W.E. for Wallis and Edward. Hven't seen it yet though.Many great movies about them.Is Madonna still talking in her fake british accent?