Horror Aficionados discussion

Getting to Know You > Are There Any Horror Movies/Books That Royally Irked You?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 242 (242 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart | 140 comments When I first saw the movie Paranormal Activity, I was awe struck. The advertisements that I had seen claimed "actual footage, actual people, true events". My sister-in-law and I watched it, both afraid to be anywhere near our beds and the dark. However, as we did research, not only did we find out that there was an alternate ending, but that there were CAST INTERVIEWS with the ACTORS!!!!! Both of us lost all respect for the movie, and have not watched it or even spoken about it since. LOL.
Also, some books have made me mad simply because of the fact that I have to wait for the sequel to come out a year later. :)
Has it ever happened to you?

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott You thought it was real?

message 3: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart | 140 comments Yeah. *BLUSH* I'm a real sucker for paranormal phenomena.
All of the advertisements that I saw for it claimed that it was actual footage, and real people. But, when we figured out that it wasn't, we threw the movie out. LOL. Probably a little bit extensive, but it felt fun. LOL.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott Aw... I still want to see it. I think it is coming on Netflix instant watch soon.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Mr. Shivers - boring and repetitive.

The Brief History of the Dead - boring and confusing.

Castaways - predictable.

Apeshit - so bizarre it outdid bizarro and so I couldn't even enjoy a group of twentysomethings getting gored and eviscerated as I normally would.

The Resurrectionist - great premise but some of the dumbest characters that ever graced a page.

Super Giant Monster Time! - cute premise and well written, but gimmicky with the "make your own adventure" style and I couldn't keep track of which story I had already read.

message 6: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart | 140 comments It's a good movie if you overlook the fact that it's fake. Most of the movie is seen through a video camera, like a documentary, which gave a visual aspect to it that was pretty cool. But, we were HIGHLY disappointed to find out that it was fake.

Tressa, I could never get into the "make your own adventure". However, that was probably because at every turn, I had to go back to the beginning. I would never surivive a horror movie. :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one that was bored with Castaways. Same old, same old.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott I loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was a kid.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I can't stand those books.

message 9: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart | 140 comments I always end up making the wrong move. But some of them give you no choice: "Do you follow the monster into the cave, or do you go home and watch that movie that will make you die in 7 days?" LOL.

message 10: by Maciek (last edited Aug 17, 2010 10:48AM) (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Paranormal Activity/The Blair Witch Project

I heard that these two were one of the scaries movies ever. I found PA to be an unintentional comedy and TBWP bored me - but I loved the visuals (the whole movie takes place in a forest, which looks amazing) so I sat patiently till the end which was bad.

message 11: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Also the 2006 remake of The Wicker Man is great, but not as a horror movie. Nic Cage saw that and played his character in a way that is so camp that you just can't help but liking this movie after all.

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I tried watching the original Wicker Man and thought it was campy. The over-the-top acting by the main chracter; Britt Eklund's (?) naked dance around the room; the locals who stop talking with a non-local steps into the pub, it's just too much. I think I still have my NF copy at home and maybe I'll finish it.

message 13: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Well, it is supposed to be about a weird pagan cult on a secluded island. And if you think that the original is over the top, see the 2006 remake. I honestly couldn't stop laughing at certain scenes.

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Nicholas Cage always makes me laugh, and not only in his comedies. Plus, his huge, fake Chicklet teeth scare me.

message 15: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Then you'll love this movie. Go see it.

message 16: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments Ugh, I hated all those movies. Blair Witch, P.A., and the remake of Wicker Man. Awful, awful, ultra awful.

There you go ... that's what royally irks me. Those three. XD

Actually, the last one I was really upset about was Drag Me to Hell. I was all psyched for it -- being a fan of Sam Raimi, Justin Long, and horror flicks in general. And it was just terrible. Stupid, even. Not campy enough to be funny, too silly to be serious, with some awful effects gaffs and painfully drawn-out terrible scenes...SUCH a horrible disappointment. *sigh*

message 17: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Zuzanna, come on. Wicker Man is pure brilliance if you look at it the right way.

message 18: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Paranormal Activity was awesome, made us both jump and Helen wouldn't watch it on her own.
Now a book that irked me was a book by Shaun Hutson, an early piece of drivel about worms I think. It was just so bad, full of typos and the main character's nqame changed part way thru! Never picked another Hutson up since.

message 19: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments Maciek wrote: "Zuzanna, come on. Wicker Man is pure brilliance if you look at it the right way."

If you mean the original, absolutely! It is brilliant! The remake was schlock and senseless drivel.

But I don't have an opinion about it or anything... :D

message 20: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) | 235 comments Zuzana wrote: "Actually, the last one I was really upset about was Drag Me to Hell. I was all psyched for it -- being a fan of Sam Raimi, Justin Long, and horror flicks in general. And it was just terrible. Stupid, even. Not campy enough to be funny, too silly to be serious, with some awful effects gaffs and painfully drawn-out terrible scenes...SUCH a horrible disappointment. *sigh* "

It's almost eerie how exactly my opinions of this movie reflect yours. I love Sam Raimi (a hometown guy so I will see and usually adore everything he puts out just to support the locals) and Justin Long is one of my favorite actors out there right now. This movie just failed to hit any mark with me though. This is another one I want to give another chance to, but haven't yet.

Larry, out of curiosity, do you remember which Shaun Hutson novel it was?

message 21: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Branden, I think it was called Worms. Was a long time ago-sometime in the 90s

message 22: by Zuzana (last edited Aug 17, 2010 04:46PM) (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments Well, Wyrms by Orson Scott Card is good! :D

(Yes, I'm having the end-of-the-day, losing-my-mind jollies.)

message 23: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) | 235 comments Larry wrote: "Branden, I think it was called Worms. Was a long time ago-sometime in the 90s"

Could it be Slugs? I don't see one called Worms.

message 24: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Zuzana wrote: "Maciek wrote: "Zuzanna, come on. Wicker Man is pure brilliance if you look at it the right way."

If you mean the original, absolutely! It is brilliant! The remake was schlock and senseless drive..."

I meant the remake. It's one of the best camp movies.
HOW'D IT GET BURNED?!?!?

message 25: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments On the other hand I also found Paranormal Activity to be a great comedy.

"No ghost is going to haunt my girlfriend!" That guy was awesome. I was expecting ghostbusters to crash through the window at any moment but unfortunately it never happened.

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Haha. I liked Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity.

Wicker Man is pure brilliance if you look at it the right way.

With both eyes closed?

message 27: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments You won't have eyes after seeing this movie. Every minute some new stuff happens that doesn't make any sense.

I loved the moment in Paranormal Activity where the psychic got to their house, entered and was like "HELL NAW, I'm outta here!", got out and never came back.

message 28: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Branden, could be Slugs I suppose but I can't remembr the plot-it was that crap. But I see its got highly rated on here. Amazingly I couldn't imagine myself reading a book about slugs these days,lol

message 29: by Scott (new)

Scott I loved BWP! I saw it pretty early on and didn't have anything to go on other than a friend telling me I have to see it. I think too much talk killed this movie for people who saw it later on.

Drag Me To Hell was great! The effects are supposed to be "bad" (although actually they are quite good); it's an homage to scary movies of years past.

message 30: by Zuzana (last edited Aug 17, 2010 06:08PM) (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments Scott wrote: "I loved BWP! I saw it pretty early on and didn't have anything to go on other than a friend telling me I have to see it. I think too much talk killed this movie for people who saw it later on.

D..."

I saw BWP when it first came out too, when many people were still on board with it being "real" -- I knew it wasn't, and it basically was like watching a student film project. Which is fine, but not what I want to spend my movie dollars on. I never HATED it -- it's a clever idea -- but it doesn't make the top, or even the middle, of any list for me based on any film criteria whatsoever.

And I know what you're saying about DMTH -- I had heard that it was an homage, and I was excited about that, until I saw it. I think it completely missed the mark.

But then satire and comedic treatments of anything are so subjective. For instance, I worship at the altar of Monty Python, but I just don't get Flight of the Concords -- seems lame and imbecilic to me. Someone else might have the polar opposite reaction. That's OK -- at least that way, everything can have its audience! :D

And the world achieves balance once again...

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Macie, that was a great scene in PActivity. I expected him to act all big and blustery and I-will-clean-this-house-of-evil like psychics in horror movies usually do. He's like "nice to know you, I hope the demon goes easy on you."

I saw BWP when it first came out and was disappointed at the theater. Years later I watched it by myself in my dark bedroom and had to stop it and go sit by my husband in the bright living room. I let myself be immersed in their panic at getting lost and disappearing and scared myself.

Loved Drag Me To Hell. As much as I love cats, the cat scene was funny because you could tell it was fake.

message 32: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments T, you love cats? :P

message 33: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Love 'em to bits.

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Hiddenheart wrote: "Yeah. *BLUSH* I'm a real sucker for paranormal phenomena.
All of the advertisements that I saw for it claimed that it was actual footage, and real people. But, when we figured out that it wasn't,..."

Haha I got suckered by THe Blair Witch Project back in the day, don't feel bad. Granted I never found that one scary after I saw the actual movie.

message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Scott wrote: "I loved BWP! I saw it pretty early on and didn't have anything to go on other than a friend telling me I have to see it. I think too much talk killed this movie for people who saw it later on.

D..."

I loved the feature they showed on sci-fi before it came out, they did a great job of setting it up. I liked the m vie even if it wasn't scary to me.

message 36: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) I liked BWP too, good minimalist scares.

message 37: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Tressa wrote: "Macie, that was a great scene in PActivity. I expected him to act all big and blustery and I-will-clean-this-house-of-evil like psychics in horror movies usually do. He's like "nice to know you, I hope the demon goes easy on you.""

And that's why I found it so funny - he got out of their house so fast that it reminded me of the Road Runner cartoon. I was disappointed in this movie because I found too much funny situations (like when her boyfriend promises not to use the Ouija board...and then does exactly that) that I found myself chuckling when I should have been biting my nails. The joys of having weird sense of humor.

message 38: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Bvut that's like real life maciek. If someone says Don't do it! you just HAVE to do it. I'd love to try a ouija board or a seance to clean the sceptic out of me but my partner would kill me!

message 39: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments Would you? I wouldn't. Actually I would kick that girl out of my house, but then the movie would last approximately 10 minutes.

message 40: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments (like when her boyfriend promises not to use the Ouija board...and then does exactly that)

Hey, 20-somethings think they know it all, so I wasn't surprised when he didn't listen to her. Plus, like so many other people he doesn't believe in God, therefore the devil doesn't exist either.

I think Macie's girlfriend should be warned that he won't stick around if she ever gets possessed.

message 41: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 327 comments I don't know. I wouldn't be as foolish as that dude. When there are signs that a demon is roaming around the house you don't mess with it.
And yes, I'd tell her to jump the hell out of my car.

message 42: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart | 140 comments Wicker Man (both) made me laugh more than anything.
Paranormal Activity just irked me.
Blair Witch Project was a different story, however. My mom and I, when I first saw it, lived in the middle of the woods. Literally. Nearest neighbor was about half a mile away. Then we got neighbors, and it still scared the hell out of me, but not as bad.
Drag Me to Hell, I loved. However, the goat killed any horror that movie possessed. All I have to say is WOW+hysterical laughter.

message 43: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 712 comments BWP - felt is was boring and drab, couldn't get into it and didn't really care for it. PA was pretty good but its a one trick pony. Seen it once and the replay value goes to about zero with me. Now when I think about PA, I think of the last skit with Eddie Murphy on his RAW tour about how only white people are stupid enough to stick around those kind of situations.

message 44: by Tressa (last edited Aug 18, 2010 06:28AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Ah, Eddie Murphy. I remember that skit. And "kill the white people...but buy my record first." And Welfare Burger (which I make quite regularly). He was da bomb back in the eighties.

message 45: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments Ha ha, Jerrod! Great observations, one and all! Love Eddie Murphy -- especially that wheezy laugh (hey, if you heard that at night in the dark, would you run out of the house? I think I would).

message 46: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) His Donkey in the new Shrek is fabulous! :D

message 47: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Oh, I forgot about Donkey. He is the funniest thing in those movies.

message 48: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments I love the Shrek movies! Too funny.

message 49: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) | 235 comments Tressa wrote: "(like when her boyfriend promises not to use the Ouija board...and then does exactly that)

Hey, 20-somethings think they know it all, so I wasn't surprised when he didn't listen to her. Plus, like..."

I don't think I know it all, and I am a 20-something. In fact, I know I don't know much at all. ;-) Just giving you a hard time.

message 50: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Well, technically, I don't think ALL 20-somethings know it all...just the ones in movies.

« previous 1 3 4 5