Goodwriters for Goodreads discussion

Books/Films > Mythological Creatures Or the Paranormal

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay... Sooo since a lot of us are writing on the paranormal, mystical side, I figured we could chat about all the different kinds.

I love writing about werewolves and I noticed just how many werewolf-based books have been coming out recently. Has anyone else been writing about a creature that's been popping up more and more in literature?

If so, what makes yours different? :)

message 2: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) I have a couple of stories based on animal shapeshifters, I have stories on vampires, I also have story on magical beings. I am not always comfortable on using the words witch or sorcerer, I try to use the unisex word mage or magi. I also like to use the word Warlock and I am aware of the complicated meaning in mythology. I am also uncomfortable using demons and god with the little g. I try to avoid those terms. I like dragon and is developing a story that involves a dragon shapeshifter, but hasn't worked out all the kinks.

I also like Elf and Faery mythology as well. I am a tolkein fan and use them as the base for my elves but I try to expand on the elves myth. I did research and stuff and found out as much as I can. My faeries are loosely based on the ones I read in the Merry Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton. It was the first story I read where the fairies were not as nice and the tales.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting! I like how you use a little bit of everything :) Lately, it's hard to be original with the supernatural, you know?

message 4: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) It is hard. However I like to think that b/c I am original my story will be as well. I can't and won't write like Armstrong, Butcher, Harrison, Brooks, Butler, Asaro, Due,Garwood, Roberts, Krentz, Sargara, Kenyon, Coulter, Viehl or Ward etc etc.

My stories like me will be unique the trick will be convincing publishing house that others will find my stories entertaining and worth the money.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't usually like writing with supernaturals that are used often. I hardly ever use werewolves or vampires, but the idea that I'm working on now has a werewolf, a vampire, a witch and a demon. I wanted to go into the different types and try and make mine unique. I just don't know what to do to make my werewolf unique. I've read books where werewolves are different and change with temperature and change whenever, but I was thinking of just going back to the old myth of the full moon. I don't know. Any ideas?

message 6: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) The compelled to change by the moon is one way to write your werewolf. I think it limits my character a bit. Another thing to consider is if the wolf is wild, feral or tame-like.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I think going back to the roots of the werewolf, persay, is the best way to go. Keep it true, but make it original :)

message 8: by Sarah Jo. (new)

Sarah Jo. (sprinkles4cookies) I'm currently writing about those with 'extra' gifts like telepathy, arokenisis, and other things that are considered powers from comic books. I'm hoping, that in the end, I can publish the whole thing as a trilogoy.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool! What's arokenisis? I'm not familiar with that one, but it sounds cool! lol

message 10: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) It is possible you mean aerokenesis like air- bending?

message 11: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) Hi everyone I am looking for suggestions of a creature a mythical creature to attack my main characters unawares, It is suppose to be a henchman of something more sinister. I can't think of anything and my characters are dodging energy attacks, my heroine is avoiding a dark alley.

Any suggestion will be good thanks.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

What kind of other mythology do you have in your story?

message 13: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) I am doing a type of realm mixed adventure. There are dragons,goblins and faery eventually. One of my main characters is a hybrid(that is also the working title) and the other character is also supernatural but born in the human world.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm and what kind of henchman is he/she? Is he/she the type that goes out to kill/fight for sinister one orrr does he/she just sneak around to get information?

message 15: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) This henchman is supposed to be ugly and powerful. It is to kill by any means necessary. My characters have not yet decided to work together in fact they barely tolerate each other. The henchman is also suppose to lead them astray, what I mean is that the mastermind is not who either of them expect.
So after surviving this run-in, they go after who they think attack them.

message 16: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Jo wrote: "This henchman is supposed to be ugly and powerful. It is to kill by any means necessary. My characters have not yet decided to work together in fact they barely tolerate each other. The henchman ..."

that sounds really interesting.

message 17: by Alexa (new)

Alexa I'm really into angels right now. In my story, after nearly being killed my character finds out she's half-angel/half-wizard and has to figure out who wants her blood. It is still a work in progress though.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Jo wrote: "This henchman is supposed to be ugly and powerful. It is to kill by any means necessary. My characters have not yet decided to work together in fact they barely tolerate each other. The henchman ..."

Perhaps a shape-shifter of some sort? Someone deceptively good-looking. A charmer...