Erin Hart Fan Club discussion

Bog Bodies and Other Discoveries

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 16 comments Mod
I have long had a fascination with bog bodies. I remember in elementary school or junior high we studied a case. I don't remember which it was though. I borrowed a dvd from the library on bog bodies and it was so interesting.

I love the way Ms. Hart brings together the archaeological/historical with the present day.

Does anyone else have a particular fascination with bog discoveries? Maybe I'm just morbid. I don't really think so though, I'm fascinated with history in general-not with wars and the other types of things that make the history books-I'm interested in the daily lives of people who came before us. I think that's why the bog bodies fascinate me. It's like they are frozen in time and they offer a glimpse into their lives.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassie wrote: "I have long had a fascination with bog bodies. I remember in elementary school or junior high we studied a case. I don't remember which it was though. I borrowed a dvd from the library on bog bodie..."

Hi Cassie, I read about one long ago and the thing I am very interested in is the DNA. Maybe you are too? I like it when they make discoveries from old DNA samples that are available in things like this. I read about some bog bodies that were cases of murder and I do not recall the book name or article now. They appeared to be sacrifices very long ago.

When I was in 6th grade our teacher took us to an Indian burial site "dig" and it was interesting. In some ways I was also horrified. Then in 1996 I read one of Dr. D'Adamo's books which you might like. It was called 4 Blood Types, 4 Diets Eat Right for your Type. The book starts out where they went all over Europe and dug up graves in order to track the blood types. To me this is utterly fascinating. The oldest type if of course type O, then type A came along if I remmeber right. Then Type B originated on the Russian stepes or is that steepes? Type B is very strong and they are able to tolerate milk. One reason I am so interested is that I have many food allergies and he explains much of this. The last and newest blood Type is Type AB. In Discover magazine there was a big article and a map showing the points of origin on the DNA and how they traveled.

Well, I didn't mean to write a book. I hope to get to this book soon.

Alice

message 3: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 16 comments Mod
It's a fascinating series. I'd suggest starting at the first book but it's not absolutely necessary.

I'm interested in DNA. We had our twins tested because we weren't positive that they were identical when they were little tiny things. If we had waited I'm sure we would have figured it out :). They definitely share the same DNA but there is nothing identical about them personality-wise.

One interesting thing I found about identical twins is that their DNA will actually change over their lifetime, and while they'll still test as identical, they will no longer be completely identical.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassie wrote: "It's a fascinating series. I'd suggest starting at the first book but it's not absolutely necessary.

I'm interested in DNA. We had our twins tested because we weren't positive that they were ident..."

Oh, I didn't know that about identical twins. I have known a few and there are usually just enough differences when you get to know them that they can be told apart. Ones I remember in college were Faye and Gaye who looked very much alike. They bleached their hair to the exact same shade and when they went skiing even went down the same slope both breaking their hips!!

I read about two sets of identical twins who married anothe set and then they got pregnant at the same time and their children were just like they were identical twins! They are sure fascinating.

I have had a little DNA work done in the past few years to see if I have hemochromatosis which is the most common genetic disorder in the US. It means the person builds up too much iron in their body. I am building up iron but apparently do not have the most common genes which are very recognized now.

I read an article in Discover I think that showed how DNA can change depending on diet. They bred these identical mice with diabetics in order to study them. They were called fat gold mice and then they altered their diet somehow and the baby mice of the fat gold mice totally reverted to healthy brown skinny mice!!! It was a real revelation about diet.

message 5: by Thom (new)

Thom Dunn | 1 comments Believe original Tollund Man had had last meal of 70 different grains. That says to me he was meant as a fertility sacrifice, that and his calm demeanor. But what do I know ? Call me morbid, crazy, I don't give a hoot. Just like to know what the hell my ancestors were doing back then and why. --Tommy Dunn

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi again Tommy, I was just trying to give Sherry the title of that book you recommended to me....Touched by Fire? about bi-polar disorder. But when I searched I discovered there were about 30 books with the title. Do you recall the correct tittle right off?
thanks for your help and Happy Birthday,
Alice,

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament

I actually had the title wrong. Its not touched BY Fire but Touched WITH Fire. Good thing I keep a journal. I discovered I actually read it in 2009 not this year.
Alice