Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Did you have a cool lunch box growing up?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I was in Target yesterday, and I have to tell you, this year's crop of lunch boxes sucks. My kids already have those fabric lunch bags, so I wasn't out to buy one, but I tell you, the kids of today are missing out with today's crappy lunch boxes. They should follow Jackie's example with her cool Snoopy lunch box.

Did you have a cool lunch box growing up? Who/what should be on a lunch box now?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments my first lunch box had a picture of babar on it, but i can't remember the others. the others were probably just plain, sturdy ones.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments lunchbox? my mom would say "draw a picture of effin' scooby doo on your brown bag and get yur ass to school"

no. i did not have a cool lunch box. i did think the thermos bottles in them were totally gay

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments [i realize that may have been a politically incorrect statement but that is what we said then:]

message 5: by Heidi (last edited Aug 17, 2010 06:52AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments The new trend in lunchboxes is bento box kits. Not kidding. Kids these day are anal retentive. I think that's pretty awesome. :)

I had three really cool lunchboxes when I was a kid - one was a metal Dark Crystal lunchbox. The other was a vinyl lined Strawberry Shortcake lunchbox with matching Strawberry Shortcake accessories. I switched back and forth between the two. During my 6th and 7th grade year, though, I had a really cool Tupperware lunchbox that kind of remind me of today's bento kits (come to think of it, I was pretty anal retentive as a kid, too) - lots of little tupperware containers.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments THIRTY BUCKS! What a scam, those Bento Box things!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Heidi, I had a Strawberry Shortcake one too!

Thermoses were pointless. If you left them in your lunchbox just one time, they'd be all nasty inside and hard to get clean.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments And whatever you drank tasted like thermos.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments Paper bag, baby. And a nickel for milk (seven cents for chocolate).

message 10: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "THIRTY BUCKS! What a scam, those Bento Box things!"

Actually, they're 20% off, so... $24.00 (and they don't leave a taste) - come with instructional book on how to create bento lunches, silverware, plastic containers, and of course cool lunchbox.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments Raggedy Ann - metal, probably lead/lead paint
Donny and Marie - vinyl, cylindrical, awesome.

Saw the Donny and Marie dolls like the ones I had at a museum. Yikes.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments PLUS, when you're all done packing your lunch, it can come out looking like this:

YUMMO!

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Or THIS:

:D

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments OR this:

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments This one looks ridiculously awesomely yummy:

message 16: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart No, I had whatever was on sale at the Dollar Store.

message 17: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments How can they look like that after being tossed around all morning, prior to lunch?

I don't think schools will allow metal forks. Those are weapons, dontcha know.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm far too lazy to pack lunches that intricate for my kids.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments you can def kill a man with a spork phil

message 20: by Heidi (last edited Aug 17, 2010 08:24AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Stacia (5,000 edits) wrote: "I'm far too lazy to pack lunches that intricate for my kids."

You don't pack them. That's why it comes with a book - it's a picture guide on how to create bento lunches... for the kids. :)

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i didn't have bento lunches, i had demento lunches. a fried chicken neck and crushed potato chips dropped into the same bag. it was like shake-n-bake

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I still think bento lunch boxes are a ripoff. So they throw in a fork? That's why it's 24 bucks? And I agree with Phil, I don't see a first grader opening that sucker and having everything stay in the little compartments...or a grown up, for that matter.

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I still think bento lunch boxes are a ripoff. So they throw in a fork? That's why it's 24 bucks? And I agree with Phil, I don't see a first grader opening that sucker and having everything stay ..."

You were clearly never anal retentive like I was/am.

message 24: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments BunWat wrote: "I love bentos too Idieh. They just make me smile. Also tiffins."

they look like something i would really enjoy eating, not making.

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments BunWat wrote: "Its one of those dreams of the life I would like to be living, not the one I am actually living. Like afternoon tea. In a slightly more gracious world where I wasn't spending the morning trying t..."

Exactly. I didn't do the cute animals, but I did take the time to cut the crusts and make the presentation lovely when I was in school... nowadays - not so much. Lean pocket in the purse, an apple or other piece of fruit, and my water bottle.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 17, 2010 12:55PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, I think I understand. Are you saying a Bento Box lunch is a small oasis of order and symmetry and quality in what could be a hectic day?

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments We had some pretty awesome lunchboxes.

This was my favorite. It's still in my mother's house, holding art supplies. And good lord, it's selling for $60 on Ebay. I should probably tell her.

Right now I bring my lunch to work in a very shiny Serenity lunchbox.

[image error]

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Ok, I'd buy that Serenity lunchbox.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love it. And I know who the cool kids are by who comments on it.

message 30: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments for bun, afternoon tea with cute sandwhiches:

message 31: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments OHHHH!!! I like it, Janine. :)

message 32: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Phil wrote: "How can they look like that after being tossed around all morning, prior to lunch?

I don't think schools will allow metal forks. Those are weapons, dontcha know."

I have to back Phil up on this one. No WAY they still look that good by lunchtime.

I, by the way, was a proud owner of the Voltron lunchbox!

Form feet and legs! Form arms and body! And I'll form THE HEAD!

I watched some episodes recently and they were quite plot-less and sexist. My memories made the storyline much, much better!

Voltron Lunchbox!

message 33: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
This was my lunchbox...

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
Heidi wrote: "This one looks ridiculously awesomely yummy:

"

What the heck is that down there on the right - a finger?

message 35: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Heidi wrote: "This one looks ridiculously awesomely yummy:

"

What the heck is that down there on the right - a finger?"

Now that you mention it... it DOES look like a finger!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments My lunch box:

My lunch for tomorrow:

Yes, I pack chocolate chips AND basil. And a fork! :)

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments jackie agains reigns as naturally coolest librarian

message 38: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Heidi wrote: "This one looks ridiculously awesomely yummy:

"

Tea being poured... looks like it to me.

message 39: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Heidi wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Heidi wrote: "This one looks ridiculously awesomely yummy:

"

Tea being poured... looks like it to me."

i think she was referring to your picture in message 15.

message 40: by Heidi (last edited Aug 18, 2010 06:13AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments janine wrote: "i think she was referring to your picture in message 15. "

Ahhh... I assumed it was pulled pork or chicken. I could see how you might get a finger out of it, though. Eww. :)

message 41: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7084 comments When I was in elementary school, we all went home for lunch. School lunch was served by a couple of burly lunch ladies for the children whose mothers were at work. My mom was at home with my little brother, so I walked down the street past two barking chihuahuas who would nip my ankles if I entered their precious yards. Mom would fix me some soup and sandwich and I'd watch a cartoon on TV then head back to class. It was quite civilized.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments In 7th and 8th grade in NYC we were allowed out for lunch, and I lived across the street from school, so my friends and I would all go to my house and eat our lunches and listen to records.

message 43: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Sarah Pi wrote: "We had some pretty awesome lunchboxes.

This was my favorite. It's still in my mother's house, holding art supplies. And good lord, it's selling for $60 on Ebay. I should probably tell her.

Right..."

Sarah Pi , I had the school bus lunch box as well and it was my favorite!

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments It was cool because it wasn't shaped like a lunch box - you could see in the windows on all sides.

message 45: by Polstar (new)

Polstar no - they weren't very popular in the UK - I just had Tupperware. However I did have a really cool Peanuts Thermos flask for my soup and I still have it :)
I think I might have to get myself a groovy new lunch box though for when I start at my new job - preferably red with white polka-dots :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.