Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Bookstores wars...how do you nagivate them?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Interesting article today in the NY Times about a new independent bookstore opening outside of NY and people taking sides:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/boo...

What do you think? Are there bookstore wars near you? How do you navigate them? How are the independent bookstores around you doing?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments bookstore wars? i have really been missing out on something. where can i watch?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Just wait for it to come out on DVD janine.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hm. Actually, Janine might be on to something. This could be a reality tv show.

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments We had a lot of drama not too long ago with our independent book store. They did a good business, had great staff and opened up with actual stockholders in the community. My husband and I happily bought stock in the store, maybe $200 worth, to support their start up.

The manager ended up forgetting to pay taxes and it went belly-up, leaving a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouth. She also had a reputation at the end for being very snippy with certain customers. It was too bad.

So now our main book store (besides the two campus book stores) is Borders. Borders is just OK. Their music section is shrinking by the day.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

We must have between 15 - 20 bookstores in addition to the (2)Borders, (2)Barnes & Noble and (2)Half Price Book stores. We seem to be blessed with books.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Aug 17, 2010 08:25PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 24075 comments Mod
I'm utterly amazed that someone would actually open a bricks and mortar bookstore anywhere these days. I have a hard time imagining any of these stores, independent or chains, being profitable. I feel bad for the woman who was there first, but come on. There are no guarantees. It's capitalism. Anyone can enter the arena. And sticking gum in the pages of books is very low. The independent stores in my neighborhood are surviving; I don't know how well exactly. The Borders is hanging on. The one that seems to get the most traffic is a used bookstore.

message 8: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments There is an independent bookstore I used to practically live in in high school called Mysterious Galaxy. They specialize in genre fiction; sci-fi, fantasy, horror, romance, and mystery. I try to support them a little every year but not nearly as much as I used to. There is only one other independent I know of in one of the richer areas of my county and they sell everything but they and their clientele are snooty. My friend and I had a bad experience at a signing there once. We had her 3 year old and if he so much as made a peep, everyone turned around and gave us dirty looks. I frequent the used bookstore more nowadays.I can't see the point in paying full price for books anymore unless it's something I've been waiting for from a favorite author.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.