What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED!: Creepy childrens short stories.. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emmaline (new)

Emmaline | 2 comments Basically theres a book I remember reading when I was young, I think they were in a series.

Anyway each chapter is a new story and they all seem quite dark with a "moral" at the end.

A few that spring to mind are one about a girl who was taught the opposite words by her mean controlling father and after a house fire, when asked if anyone was still in the house, she replied "No," and the end was saying some people think she ment to kill her father, blah blah blah..

Another was a guy who made superstrong glue that lasted forever, except it didn't (Only an hour) so people died like a canoist in a river when the glue weakened. At the end a guy with a flying machine lends the glue man a flying machine. They're up in the air and the flying guy says "Your machines the best cause I made it with your superstrong glue" and then the glue man's machine comes apart and he dies.

If you have any idea what book this is or the author, I'd love to know. Thanks :)

message 2: by Emmaline (new)

Emmaline | 2 comments There was another short story about this guy who got locked in a public lavatory at night and all the graffiti he read came true. So when he read "rock and roll" the whole lavatory started shaking etc. and he tried to stop reading the graffiti but couldn't help it. Then he read "drowned in the dunny at dawn" or something, so he thought he was going to be killed somehow. So for hours he was really paranoid about it, then at dawn he found a rat and flushed it down the toilet so he wouldn't be killed, then the toilets were opened for cleaning and he managed to get out.

message 3: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (renfrew) | 48 comments Could these be anthologies by Paul Jennings?

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Nikki, I think you're right. But, the posts are slightly different, so I'll give Emmaline a couple of days to return here and confirm. I'll leave this thread marked as unread so I won't forget to move folders/shelve.

Thanks, Nikki, for finding that livejournal thread!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Hi All, I can't find those anthologies on Goodreads. If anybody finds the book(s) that go with this thread could you please either shelve them or post the links here and I'll shelve them. Thank you very much. And, Nikki, thanks again.