Q&A with Bethany Huang discussion

Writing influences and styles

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Huang | 28 comments Mod
This is where you can discuss or ask me questions on who influenced me to write and how I write, and my style of writing.

message 2: by Laura (last edited Aug 19, 2010 08:42AM) (new)

Laura (xmagical) | 6 comments What tense do you like to write most/what tense is The Eiffel Tower's Daughter written in? (First person, past tense, etc.) XD I'm curious about odd things, lol.

I'm seriously going to like, give you an imaginary rubber duck or something. I can't believe you got a book published, and you're ten, too...*spazzes out* That's so amazing. Gahhhhhhhhhh.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hi Bethany! I am so glad that your book is going to be published! I was wondering how you came up with the idea for The Eiffel Tower's Daughter and who influenced you to write.

message 4: by Bethany (new)

To:XMagiCal

Hi and welcome to my Q&A group! My book is from one person's point of view, my main character. her name is Swanilde. What exactly do you mean by past tense? Thank you for your kind words!

message 5: by Bethany (new)

To:Sarah

Thanks! Well.. I didn't dream about the book, like most authors did in order to get their plots. I looked at a picture of a Eiffel Tower with some backround information on it one day, and all of a sudden, POP! The idea just came to me. But I didn't come up with all of the details immediately, though. I made up a few things as I went along, and changed things, and edited when I got writer's block.Or at least I tried to. My influence was Nancy Yi Fan, a Chinese girl like myself that published a book at the age of 11-12-and I thought, if she can do it...why can't I? The books she wrote are Sword Bird and Sword Quest. Thanks for visiting my Q&A group!

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (xmagical) | 6 comments Past tense would be "Bethany smiled." Present tense is "Bethany smiles." If you're saying the actions as they happen, that'd be present tense. But if it's all 'walked, talked, smiled, laughed' - all the ed's on the end, pretty much - that's past tense. Lol, sorry, I suck at explaining things. D:

Where did you come up with the name Swanilde? :P It's epic.

message 7: by Bethany (new)

No, you don't. You're a really good explainer! I do both present tense and past tense throughout my story.

I came up with the name Swanilde because I was reading about the ballet Copperilia and saw the name Swanilda. I thought it sounded nice, but I liked Swanilde better, so thats how I came up with it.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (xmagical) | 6 comments That's cool, I've never read a book like that before. Now you've got me hooked, I'm adding The Eiffel Tower's Daughter to my list of countdown's...haha.

I'm way into fantasy/unusual names, so for me, stuff like Swanilde is awesome pawsome. XD

message 9: by Bethany (new)

Thanks. Throughout my book theere are really elaborate names since this is set in France.Here are a few of my character's names.

Swanilde
Roseanne
Andreyev
Alexandre-Gustave
Val
Atemu
Acenath
Cleopatra
Aziza
Keket
Anzety
Chigaru
Chione
Delran

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (xmagical) | 6 comments Ooh, Aziza and Acenath. <33

Out of curiousity, have you ever heard of If There Would Be No Light? It was written by...either a ten or a nine year old, I forget. It's poems; they're actually really good. I'm amazed at all of the people my age/younger who write and publish novels; I never have the patience to even get halfway. XD

message 11: by Bethany (last edited Aug 19, 2010 07:16PM) (new)

Wow.That's okay-as long as you dream and wish(which is what I did) and put all of your heart into it, you'll get there. It took me two whole years to finish my book!

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (xmagical) | 6 comments Yikes. It's not so much as not having patience; I get, um, easily distracted. o.o Same reason I can never take naps: there are so many other things that I could be doing/writing, lol.

Yeah, haha. I'm in awe of pretty much anyone who has the patience/time to finish a novel, and actually get it published. Which is why I get very easily 'lost' in the library. :P

message 13: by Jules (new)

Jules (fiddlebug13) Same...I am easily distracted. :) Yeah I am so amazed that you actually have a book published Bethany!! It's on my as-to-read books :)

message 14: by Bethany (new)

Thank you to both of you! It's okay-trust me-I didn't write anything in my first months. Then I decided I wanted to be published before I turned 11, so I had to work super hard the last few months.

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 5 comments i have the same problem with getting distracted. i also have a problem that, like when i plan to make a 200 page book, it ends up with only about 25 pages.. i'm working on tht one tho ;)

soo um to keep this on topic, bethany, is your book self published, and if it isn't, how long did it take for a publishing company to accept, and if it is self published, is it going to be in stores like b&n?

message 16: by Bethany (new)

It's okay. Keep trying.

About your question...yes. It is self-published. And there is a pretty good chance it will be in B&N-My publishing consultant said it would. So I'm expecting that it will be. If it isn't, I'll post the link on how to order my book here.

Thanks for asking!

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 5 comments ohh, soo when u self publish a book, does ur consultant just automaticaly talk to those stores and get them to sell your book? or do u have to pay extraa, or do it yourself?

srry for all the questions >.< =]

message 18: by Bethany (last edited Aug 20, 2010 05:24PM) (new)

No, I love answering friendly questions!

Actually, B&N buys the book from my publisher, and it is either directly in stores or on their website.

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 5 comments ohh tht sounds really cool!! =D does that happen with the other book stores too, like boarders and stuff?

message 20: by Bethany (new)

Yes. And probably Amazon, too.

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 5 comments wow thts really cool =D haha.. soo.. uhm.. how aree uu XD

message 22: by Bethany (last edited Aug 22, 2010 02:50PM) (new)

I'm doing good. Watch out for a FREE giveaway soon, here on goodreads, as well as my blog, http://www.beth-writes.blogspot.com. Also watch out for my pass it on chain mail to win a chance to earn a SIGNED free copy of my book.

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 5 comments omgg that sounds amazing =D

message 24: by Bethany (new)

Thank you! I hope you'll join!

message 25: by Jules (new)

Jules (fiddlebug13) Yeah, I need to do that!

message 26: by Bethany (new)

I'll post a link to all of that as soon as I hace my book released-two more months to go!

message 27: by Jules (new)

Jules (fiddlebug13) OK thanks! Eeeee I'm so excited

message 28: by Bethany (new)

You're welcome!I'm really excited, too!

message 29: by Jules (new)

Jules (fiddlebug13) :)