The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations & Voting > First Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Please put your first book suggestion here. Then we can get some feedback on what we want to read first.

message 2: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Ok this is a suggestion - how about we pick books in relation to how they appeared in the series. I found all the book and music reference on wikipedia entries. For example in the pilot episode, these three books were mentioned:
* The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
* Moby Dick by Herman Mellville
* Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
This is just an idea - but could maybe help in selecting books and I like the episode tie in. Or we could pick a favorite episode and choose the book from that episode. Just thinking out loud here.

message 3: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Sounds great to me. I have only read Madame Bovary of those three, but would be willing to read it again. It's been at least ten years. O.K., now I have to go watch the pilot again!

message 4: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
One thing I think we should consider is as we choose the books, switch off between the modern books & the classics. First I think it would be more fun, but second, one of my majors in college was literature so I've read a fair few of those. But also, I really appreciate the break having had to read so very many on top of each other!

Maybe instead of going by episode, we take turns choosing one. That way if there is a title that one or the other of us has been dying to get to we will have a fighting chance!

message 5: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Some of the titles that stand out for me at this moment:

"old school faves" -
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
Siddhartha
On the Road
The Fountainhead

"hot new reads" -
The Devil in White City
The Time Traveler's Wife
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books

message 6: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

I like the idea of switching between modern and classics. All good book suggestions above, maybe we should decide on one for sure by next week and aim to start reading it in October. Perhaps we could have a few new members by then also.

message 7: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Cool! I'm excited!

message 8: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Sounds good.

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Maybe you should add "The Thin Man" to your list, because there were several Nick and Nora references on the show.

message 10: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Meghan Just something to ponder...books like "Siddhartha" and "The Bell Jar" are extremely short and quick reads. But a book like "Swans Way" is not only long, but incredibly dense (I needed a dictionary for half of the words to get the full appreciation for what was written). Perhaps we could be a bit like Rory, and if a short one is selected, pair it up with a long one (I love how she carried 5 books with her depending on her "mood"). That way it'll give us more time for the longer ones, while still having something to discuss at the end of the month.

I like the suggestion of reading the books that were referred to in the show. I think there is a good mix of "classics" and modern to keep things interesting. My vote is for Moby Dick (just because that's actually on my "to read" list right now and maybe it'll get me motivated to actually read it sooner than later!)

message 11: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Right. I'm a quick reader, but I don't think I could finish "War and Peace" in a month, you know? My vote is for "The Fountainhead", because it's something I've been wanting to read anyway.

message 12: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde would top my list for some strange reason, but I've been interested in The Fountainhead for a while as well, so I'm up for that.

I confess I'm a bit biased against Moby Dick from when I had to read it for school. Ugh. I'd try it again, but would rather start with something else if that's alright!

message 13: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Ok I've been pondering ideas and since we'll have our first book in October - I'm thinking Halloween and horror. So my suggestion would be Rosemary's Baby. It is also mentioned in the pilot episode of Gilmore Girls during the first convo between Rory and Dean - and of course maybe we could all find sometime to watch the movie in October too.

By Thursday I will take all the books suggestions, compile them into a list and let everyone take a vote and rank which books they would like to read the most - I think that would be the most fair. Great ideas everybody - this is going to be the best group on here!!

message 14: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

I'm really up for anything. Again, it might be nice to start with something short, rather than dive right into Tolstoy or Marcel Proust (for goodness sake!) It might take me a year to get through that. Unlike Rory, I have three kids! Seriously any of the other suggestions would be fine for me.

message 15: by Jessy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Jessy | 5 comments Super excited about all of the suggestions. I know this doesn't help, but I would be up for any of them! All of those mentioned I would like to read or read again. Shannon, I like your suggestion of a spooky read (Roseamry's Baby)around Halloween time and the fact that the book is mentioned in the pilot starts us off in the very beginning of the show.

message 16: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Personally I'd rather read Wicked for the Halloween theme... but I'm not a horror reader at all. I'm only one voice, though. It's just... ugh... what a place to start!

Plus, wasn't it the movie of Rosemary's Baby they were talking about? I could be wrong... haven't watched the pilot in a while.

Okay, sorry! I don't mind being challenged, I just wanted to be excited about the first book... anyway, the vote idea is great. Wish we were starting with a short one to finish out this month!

I agree this will be a fantastic group - my first, too! I'm looking forward to it! It's especially fun to have our reads center around a favorite show with SMART (& well read) characters.

message 17: by Jessy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Jessy | 5 comments Ohhh..I like the idea of Wicked too!! I have it on my shelf and have been meaning to read it. I am not a reader or horror type books either, but like the idea of going with the "season" as well as the show! :-) I think there have been a lot of great suggestions made and whichever one is chosen will be fun to dive into!

message 18: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Tiffany Hi,
I'm new to the group and really excited to be here.

I'd be more than happy to re-read Wicked if that's the book chosen for October; a friend actually called me a "Wicked-pusher" for my enthusiastic attempt at getting people to read it so we could talk about it!

But I am up for anything and looking forward to starting! =)

message 19: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Hi Tiffany - welcome to the group!

Today I will get up the list for voting and then leave it open through the weekend so everybody can get their votes in. I wish they had a poll functionality here - that would be much easier. Oh well. Hope everyone is having a fabulous day.

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I suppose it's okay not to participate sometimes? I have zero desire to read The Bell Jar, for instance, so that month I'd probably just abstain.

message 21: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

I'm with you, Sarah... There are some on this list I have read and really don't feel any need or desire to re-read them. Too much out there yet to read! I generally only re-read real favorites. But, I'm also not at all interested in reading Rosemary's Baby so abstinence it is... because those of you that are dying to read that should do! I'll enjoy the discussion and look forward to the next book.

message 22: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) What about authors who are mentioned on the show, but whose books aren't named? Norman Mailer, for example. Should we read any of his? It seems like a lot of times authors or characters are mentioned on the show, but the book title isn't.

message 23: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Meghan I would think that if any author or character was mentioned you have to assume that Rory's read it (or was going to read it). I base this on the fact that if it was important enough for Amy (the original producer and head writer) to put it in the show, she probably would have Rory read it. (And personally, someone of Mailer's caliber should be read just because.)

So I say let's reach for the stars and try it all. Although, personally, I have no desire for reading that dictionary Rory asked Chris to buy her! :)

message 24: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

While I think that is a good idea to peruse mentioned authors, I think we've an awful lot to choose from as it is... I'd kinda like to read those first. But then again, Solzhenitsyn is pretty great. :D

message 25: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Then again, I don't want to read EVERY book mentioned on the show... I certainly wouldn't expect us to pick up The Anarchists Cookbook, for example.

And, yeah, not so excited about reading the complete Oxford English Dictionary, either.

message 26: by Mollie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Mollie (MollieSultenfuss) I just joined this group and am so excited about the discussion happening. Rory's character reminds me of how much I like to read...and how much I still haven't read yet!

The suggestion I like the most was the idea of switching back and forth between classic and modern literature. I think that will keep conversations flowing. I also think that the nice part of an online book group is that one can easily bow out for a month when a book does not strike an interest or when life seems to take over. I'm a middle school English teacher, for instance, so I can guarantee that I will be scarcely seen on Good Reads in May!

As for where to start, I'll start anywhere!

message 27: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

The fact that we have Rory's portrait that her grandmother had done of her reading as our default picture is so perfect & hilarious. FYI, you can buy Rory's "Reading is Sexy" t-shirt on the WBTVshop.com. I'm not quite sure where I'd wear it, but it's really cute!! I love the owl!

message 28: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

O.K., it's not an owl. It's just a girl. Gosh, an owl would have been cute. O.K., back to books!

message 29: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Alison - I've been wanting to get that tshirt. I'll probably put it on my Christmas wishlist! And - I'm glad you liked the portrait picture it is pretty funny.

As far as the book list goes, it needs to be cleaned up and I have another 50 books to add to it. I think whichwaydidshego is going to send me the official WB booklist.
The list I got includes authors mentioned on the episodes but not necessarily a book. Yes - there are a ton of books to choose from so I don't think we will be lacking in that department for awhile.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.