Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Bookmark Swap > Bookmark Swap #7 - signups closed

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) This round is a themed round. Any suggestions for our theme/rules? Do we want to do award winners for this round?

Let's discuss!

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments I still like the idea of judging a book by it's cover! I am sticking to it!! ;-)

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Donna wrote: "I still like the idea of judging a book by it's cover! I am sticking to it!! ;-)"

Love this idea.
:)

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments Wahoo! Thx for the support Becky!

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I'm good with that too... I'm wondering if we look at our swap partner's read list and choose one we haven't read to judge it?

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments Whatever works best. I just like the idea whichever way we try to take it.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yes... and then we could read the book after and see how close we came!

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) The only flaw though, is that some people's profiles are private... And there's not really anyway to befriend each other without giving away who has whose name.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) We could do a top 5 again...?

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Or we could do one on ANY YA book we haven't read? I like this better actually.

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) And to clarify, those are both suggestions of how to do the "Judge a book by it's cover" idea.

message 12: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments I like the idea of the any YA book

message 13: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Me too. Especially since there are so many appealing covers...

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Or we could use a Listopia List... Best YA covers... I'm sure that there are like 50 lists! LOL

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy I liked the idea of before and after that was talked about in another thread earlier on. But the judging a book by it's cover could be fun too.

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie I don't get the cover idea? Do we make a bookmark based off a cover without reading the book?

message 17: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Yes, that's the idea being tossed around. What do you think, Angie?

message 18: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments 5-Star reads?

Famous book quotes?

message 19: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 157 comments Oooohh, book quotes sounds good. :)

...but I also like the book cover idea.

message 20: by Shae (new)

Shae | 57 comments I like the book cover idea. I am not sure about having a winner. We are all on various levels of artistic abilities.

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments Book cover ones could turn out cute.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I don't know if I would want to have to try to recreate the book cover, but I think making a bookmark based on a book using only the cover to go by would be fun. :)

message 23: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Ok, we're going with the "judge a book by it's cover" theme for this round since everyone seems to think it'll be fun. (I think so too!)

Please sign up here if you are interested.

message 24: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Aug 28, 2010 08:14AM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) These are the rules:

1. You make or buy a bookmark themed around your own idea/interpretation of any YA book based on cover alone. This means it should be a book you've never read before! (Reading the back cover is perfectly fine.)
2. Have fun and be creative!!! How you represent your book on your bookmark is totally and completely up to you.
3. You are responsible for shipping your bookmark to your swap person at your own expense NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 10TH! Be prepared to possibly send it out of the country.
4. Open your new bookmark as a group on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 17TH!
5. Take a picture of the bookmark you receive to share with the group!

Caroline
Becky
Donna
Heather
Tanja
Shae
Amy
Anne
Vicki
Diana
Misty

Caroline Havenhand | 88 comments I'm game =]

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Me!

message 27: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments OK!

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I'm in. :)

message 29: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments Sure thing!

message 30: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments Btw -- should it be a book that we've never read the synopsis either?

message 31: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments Well, I guess it would be safe to say we can read the back of the book just to get a better idea of the book but that is all!!! ;-)

message 32: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments KK! Thanks for the clarification since a couple I've read wiki entries, reviews and lengthy summaries. I'll go to the bookstore soon and just wander the shelves. Or randomly click on Amazon judging solely by the cover ^.^

message 33: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I'd say that yes, definitely read the back of the book. That's still part of the cover, and can be what really draws you to a book. :)

message 34: by Shae (new)

Shae | 57 comments I'm in! YAY!

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy I'm in! This is going to be fun. Now, off to hunt for a book.

message 36: by Usako (last edited Aug 24, 2010 07:37AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments I think I'm going to do something silly! Since I'm pressed this week and I want to get to making the bookmark ASAP...I will surf this HUGE (warning!!) Goodreads List - Best Young Adult Books.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/43...

And solely based on the cover, I will select! And done! My inspiration based on the cover is soaring! WHEE! Now to see if I can pull off the impossible!

message 37: by Anne (new)

Anne Amundson (iswallowedthesnitch) I am in!! (Sorry I skipped a few!)

message 38: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Tanja wrote: "I think I'm going to do something silly! Since I'm pressed this week and I want to get to making the bookmark ASAP...I will surf this HUGE (warning!!) Goodreads List - Best Young Adult Books.

ht..."

I think I've already chosen my book and what I'm going to do... :D

message 39: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 74 comments Reminds me tomorrow to hit Michaels to pick up my materials. I'm really excited about this one b/c the style takes me *WAY* WAY WAAAAAY Back :P

Caroline Havenhand | 88 comments This might also be a good place to scour for inspiration!

Judge a book by its cover!

message 41: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Caroline wrote: "This might also be a good place to scour for inspiration!

Judge a book by its cover!"

Perfect!!! Thanks for sharing, Caroline!

message 42: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 157 comments I'm in. :)

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mkirias) | 59 comments I can't this round! :( tooo much going on with back to school and this seems like such an awesome idea. Well need to do it again further down the line

message 44: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1332 comments There are so many great book covers but I am trying to narrow it down to the ones I actually would consider reading. I got it down to 4 books thus far. I know that some books have different covers so I will post the cover when I choose.

message 45: by Diana (new)

Diana Carrizo (dianasaurousrex) | 85 comments I Am In!!!! =)

message 46: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Oops, missed it. That's okay, though. I might make one just to make one.

message 47: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Misty wrote: "Oops, missed it. That's okay, though. I might make one just to make one."

You made it because I forgot to divvy up names last night. We had one last sleepover before school starts :-/ It should be called a wakeover...

message 48: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Alrighty, names have been passed out. Here are the dates again:

You are responsible for shipping your bookmark to your swap person at your own expense NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 10TH! Be prepared to possibly send it out of the country.

Open your new bookmark as a group on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 17TH!

message 49: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Neato. :)

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Oh gosh... THE PRESSURE!

« previous 1 3