Scandinavian Mysteries discussion

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelley Barnow (new)

Shelley Barnow (ssuths) | 4 comments Please don't hate me, but...

I just finished reading Jo Nesbo's The Devil's Star (loved The Redbreast) and I'm a big Henning Mankell fan. I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I just don't think it is in the same league as these books. Could it be the English translation? I thought the writing was very average and the pacing was slow until almost the very end. I actually enjoyed the excellent movie more than the book, which for me is rare. Can someone (without flaming me) please tell me what I'm missing? A friend said she thought Larsson's writing was "minimalistic."

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori (loridemo) | 19 comments Hi Shelley- I couldn't agree with you more. I also found Dragon Tattoo slow and not particularly inspiring and I really enjoy Mankell's writing. Again, I thought the movie Dragon Tattoo was better than the book as well. Our book club read Dragon Tattoo and for the new year we are reading the Girl Who Played with Fire it is equally slow and uninspiring and I'm having a tough time wanting to finish it and I"m 1/3 the way through. I have read two other books while I have left this one lingering. I find Larsson's writing boring, his characters have to have extraordinary abilities to be interesting, while Mankell's Wallander is the ordinary man acting in extraordinary circumstances.

message 3: by Shelley Barnow (new)

Shelley Barnow (ssuths) | 4 comments Thanks, it helps to know I'm not the only crazy one! Have you read any of Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books--I think they are terrific. I'm reading the new(er?) Mankell book, Return of the Dancing Master (not a Wallander book), and I think it's going to be wonderful.

message 4: by Trish (new)

Trish (bowedbookshelf) Shelley wrote: "Please don't hate me, but...

I just finished reading Jo Nesbo's The Devil's Star (loved The Redbreast) and I'm a big Henning Mankell fan. I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I just don..."

Larsson's first book was difficult to get into, and the translator says (see comment) it is because it was Larsson's first book and he hadn't hit his stride yet. The second book is better by light years and the third also very good. By the end of the trilogy one realizes we have lost an artist.