Love Inspired Historicals discussion

It's pickling time at my sister's -- anyone else a canner?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
I'm not sure 'canner' is a word, but you know what I mean. My sister and I are canning pickles tomorrow - we just bought 60 pounds of small cucumbers from our local Hutterite colony (fresh picked this morning). Does anyone else do any canning? What's your favorite?

message 2: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4947 comments not me. Mum use to make relish every year with the tomatoes.

message 3: by JanetTronstad (new)

Tomato relish sounds good. I'm not much into canning either, but my sister is so I thought I'd learn a little. She also cans peaches and pears. And beets.

message 4: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 217 comments Yes, Janet, I've canned pickles, green beans, and jelly. Didn't do a lot this summer because of new grandbaby. You've got a lot of pickles!

message 5: by JanetTronstad (new)

LOL, Patsy! My sister's family loves their pickles. It is a lot of them. We're also having a friend from church help, too, though so we'll be splitting the pickles three ways.

message 6: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4947 comments cant say I like pickles but love beetroot.

message 7: by JanetTronstad (new)

Ausjenny -- we all have our favorites. I really like fresh beets, but not canned ones.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments i love pickles! But, i don't can anything. My grandmother used to can a few things.

message 9: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'm putting my apron on. This is the day we are making pickles (an all day event I fear). I feel quite like a pioneer and am reminded of how much work it used to be just to provide food for one's family!! All the gardening, canning, drying, hunting, etc. etc. -- wow, it was work!!

message 10: by MaryE (new)

MaryE Stifflemire | 499 comments Yes Janet. I have canned a lot of fruits like fig, pears, apples, peaches, dewberries, wild plums, wild blackberries, wild grapes, green beans, wax beans, tomatoes, fruit butters, and I have processed and frozen corn, tomatoes and a lot of other vegetables and fruits. I did a talk a few years back on canning tomatoes to my Extension club. I haven't been doing much canning here lately. Only drying some fruit and vegetables, although I did make apple butter, apple jelly and orange marmalade back in January for our Extension Club's annual Achievement Day for door prizes.

message 11: by JanetTronstad (new)

Wow, Mary, I am in awe!

message 12: by MaryE (new)

MaryE Stifflemire | 499 comments I had help when I did most of that. My husband would help me with a lot of the processing. I guess that's why I don't do much now, no more helper.

message 13: by NovelReaction (new)

NovelReaction | 16 comments I am a canner also, this year I am planning on doing whole tomatoes, pears, peaches, corn relish, and I am going to try drying my own sun-dried tomatoes. I love how good your own canning tastes and that I know exactly what is in each bottle.

message 14: by JanetTronstad (new)

Nover Reaction -- That's what my sister says, too!

message 15: by Harlequin Books (new)

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 34 comments I used to help my mom can just about anything you can think of. We also used to make jams. I miss it but when she downsized from her house to a senior housing apartment building, she sold all her canning supplies in a yard sale. She knew I'm not the best in the kitchen and would never attempt to be a canner on my own!

message 16: by JanetTronstad (new)

About as far as I have gone on my own is to make freezer jam. You might try that -- it tastes really good and isn't nearly as complicated (no cooking involved). I've always made strawberry jam, but I think you could use any fruit.

message 17: by NovelReaction (new)

NovelReaction | 16 comments Strawberry Kiwi jam is really pretty and yummy. I always use the recipe that comes in the pectin box, to make it a little more affordable (because Kiwis can be expensive) I do two batches of strawberry to one batch of kiwi and mix them together. The black seeds from the kiwi make it so pretty with the red!

message 18: by JanetTronstad (new)

That does sound yummy!

message 19: by JanetTronstad (new)

I need to let everyone know we made 56 quarts of pickles, my sister and I.

message 20: by MaryE (new)

MaryE Stifflemire | 499 comments That's great Janet! You both did great!

message 21: by JanetTronstad (new)

Thanks, Mary -- today I took a nap!

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 517 comments That's a lot of work. I'm sure you were tired.

message 23: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 217 comments I'd say you deserve a nap, Janet! That is work!