UK Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Historical Romance

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Ok there must be members (male and female) who love a good HR. If you're one of those share you're favourite books and authors here.

message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 22 comments I've just been initiated into Julia Quinn and I'm sure I'll enjoy continuing the series.
Anne Gracie would be my favourite as she is as witty as Georgette Heyer.
Jude Deveraux is another. I'm sure we'll all come up with more as time goes on.

message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments I like Mary Balogh, an author I wouldn't have read had it not been for recommendations from GRs friends. In the past I read alot of Boddice Rippers....a genre I still have a hankering for despite them being considered no longer PC.
Have you read A Knight in Shining Armour?

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 6 comments I really like Philipa Gregory although it's not just romance but the whole story of what was happening at Court and at the time. The Henry 8th series is especially good-

Philippa Gregory

message 5: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments I read her Wideacre series, the first two were very good but the third went rapidly downhill,or so I thought. I haven't read anything else by her as I seem to remember Wideacre was followed by a wierd contemporary. Maybe I should read some more of her books?

I think romance or any of the romantic sub genres is widely underestimated, people see it as fluffy and superfluous but really thats not the case. Granted there's alot of romance out there that falls short but some of it is great.

message 6: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I really enjoy Philippa Gregory too, the ones I've read anyway, I haven't got to Wideacre yet but my Mother in Law has given me her copies so I will try to get to them at some point.

Somebody else has mentioned Georgette Heyer recently, I've not read anything of hers but would you recommend her Sally, which would be a good book as an introduction to her?

This may be pushing the boundaries of this topic but I adore and have read several times The Passion by Jeanette Winterson - it's historical and it's romantic too but not conventional in the slightest (it's also a little magical realism) - it's a thought anyway...

message 7: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
I've only ever read one Historical Romance - The Conquest by Elizabeth Chadwick. I really enjoyed it though and keep intending to read some more of her books but have never gotten around to it.

message 8: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (priyaparmar) | 4 comments I love Philippa Gregory and also Sandra Gulland. Their characters are beautifully drawn.

message 9: by Priya (new)

Priya Parmar (priyaparmar) | 4 comments Would Sharon Kay Penman's Welsh trilogy be considered romance? It is brilliant!

message 10: by Ricci (new)

Ricci | 12 comments I have an ebook of Georgette Heyer's "Faro's Daughter," but i just can't bring myself to read it yet ....

message 11: by Adrienne (last edited Oct 18, 2010 01:45AM) (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Why not? I read a lot of Heyer some years ago but I have to confess I was very selective. Faro's Daughter isn't one I know (heard of it but don't know the storyline)

message 12: by Ricci (new)

Ricci | 12 comments Adrienne wrote: "Why not? I read a lot of Heyer some years ago but I have to confess I was very selective. Faro's Daughter isn't one I know (heard of it but don't know the storyline)"

Maybe because when I read the first few pages, the storyline sort of reminded me of North and South.... I'm not giving up on it yet, I just have to find the time :D

message 13: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments I've not read North and South but I bet I know which would be the better read...I always think of Heyer as an upmarket Barbara Cartland (sorry to all you Heyer fans out there). Have you seen the film with Richard Armitage?

message 14: by Ricci (new)

Ricci | 12 comments Adrienne wrote: "I've not read North and South but I bet I know which would be the better read...I always think of Heyer as an upmarket Barbara Cartland (sorry to all you Heyer fans out there). Have you seen the fi..."

yes i did! and i loved the way they made the movie version especially the ending, great casting :)

message 15: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments I saw a youtube clip of the ending.....awww soooo romantic. I'm going to see if the Library has a copy I can rent:)

message 16: by Ricci (new)

Ricci | 12 comments Adrienne wrote: "I saw a youtube clip of the ending.....awww soooo romantic. I'm going to see if the Library has a copy I can rent:)"

go! go! go! it's a good movie! err... mini series :D

message 17: by Eilidh (new)

Eilidh (skybirdtrill) | 1 comments I haven't read a lot in this genre but the few Philippa Gregory books I have read have been very enjoyable.

Years ago I came across a Guinevere trilogy by Persia Woolley that I thought was very well written. I've a feeling they're out of print now though. :(

message 18: by Juju (new)

Juju Roberts | 2 comments philippa gregory is good but sometimes a bit long and tedious, she could cut it down. the best is jane austen perhaps obvious but a good readof emma is brilliant.

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2734 comments Juju wrote: "philippa gregory is good but sometimes a bit long and tedious, she could cut it down. the best is jane austen perhaps obvious but a good readof emma is brilliant."

I read Philippa Gregory's The Other Queen, about mary Queen of Scots. I found the perspective interesting, being that each chapter was the point of view of one of the three main characters. But on the whole it was sort of disappointing, lots of talk, and quite repetitive, but not a whole lot happening. I may try another though.

message 20: by Krista (new)

Krista Holle | 7 comments The Lure of Shapinsay takes place on one of the tiny Orkney islands. The year is 1848 and while many still believed in the selkie folk, everyone believed in fairies--even Queen Victoria. See its five star review right here on goodreads.The Lure of Shapinsay

The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle

message 21: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Zoe wrote: "I've only ever read one Historical Romance - The Conquest by Elizabeth Chadwick. I really enjoyed it though and keep intending to read some more of her books but have n..."

This looks good! I've read The Greatest Knight which I loved by this author and now I'm reading The Scarlet Lion.

message 22: by Nikks (new)

Nikks | 547 comments Am just starting my first georgette Heyer book.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3625 comments Nikks wrote: "Am just starting my first georgette Heyer book."

My aunt loves her books, she gave me her old copy of Friday's Child when I visited her last time and I gave her Georgette Heyer biography which she is enjoying.

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 191 comments I recently discovered Posie Graeme-Evans..The Island House...which does concurrent stories...800 AD, and present day Scotland. Also love Kate Morton, Kate Mosse, Diana Gabaldon, Victoria Holt, and Carol McCleary among others. I also like Philioppa Gregory..although sometimes she can get a bit caught up in description...but the history is very interesting.

message 26: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 191 comments as is my typical way...I find almost all my books "by accident" at the bookshop! I simply wander around, looking...I have come across some really good reads that way!..Outlander series by Diana Gabladon, Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean M Auel. there are tons on my tbr list(which ...incidentally is growing by leaps and bounds)....

message 27: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 1 comments Emma Donoghue has written some historical romance as has Sarah Waters.

message 28: by Ellie (new)

Ellie M (elliemcc11) | 595 comments I've read Phillipa Gregory as well but not read the Wideacre series.

I quite like a bit of Jane Austen for historical romance - she's witty with it too.