The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > New from California

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Hello from Palm Springs where it's 112 today but thankfully dry as a bone. I'm an avid reader, mainly fiction, and I read three or four books at a time, one left on the front seat of my car, one next to the arm chair, next to my bed, on the back of the john. You get the picture. To add to this quirk, each book has to be a different genre. Am I the first nut to join the group? I also write, paint and draw, and I am the only pet my two dogs have.

Hope to make some friends.

message 2: by Kristopher (new)

Kristopher | 14 comments Howdy, John! You're definitely not the first nut, as my reading habits strongly resemble yours. I keep books scattered all over the place. I'm sure you'll have no trouble making friends here.

Kristopher

message 3: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Hello John. Welcome to the group. I too am a newbie. I know that you will enjoy this site. It's a blast. The only problem is that I usually have to add between 2-5 books to my to be read list each day. I to am an avid reader and not until recently have been able to read more than 1 book at a time. Now I have to since I have joined more than a few groups. And I'm with you they all have to be different genres. I also have books in all of the areas that you mentioned except the john. But I do carry a book with me EVERY place I go in case I'm stuck anywhere with nothing to do. I have lived in quite a few states in the US and that included CA for a short time. However I am now retired and stuck in Texas. Don't get me wrong it's really a great place to live BUT NOT IN THE SUMMER. But on the other hand staying indoors give me the opportunity to read ALOT.
If your a nut then you have come to the right place because that is what everyone that has joined this group are. I used to paint and draw years ago. Right now I'm just doing a little drawing but I'm wanting to take some lessons from a great friend and artist. Most of my artistic skills right now are in the needlework and quilting field. Knowing that I've accomplished and used my creative skills gives me great satisfaction.
What type of things do you paint and draw? Also what do you write? You are very lucky to have two dogs that take care of you. I bet they're doing an excellant job too.

message 4: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Thanks, Kristopher. It's nice to know that someone else shares this vice.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 140 comments John wrote: "I am the only pet my two dogs have. "

That might be my favorite thing I've heard all day. Welcome to the group!

message 6: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Karen, Hi! I've driven across Texas several times, so I'm sure I could have waved at you. I spent some time in Kileen while in the Army, not the best place in Texas if you want excitement. But I love Austin and the costal areas, too. I do some watercolor painting but mainly stick to drawing and occasionally do sculpting. Not the best at any of this, but I love the process. I was a banker for years but now I write novels, short stories and screenplays when Albert (Westie) and Arthur (Scottie) allow. They rule my life. I'm told needlework is good for calming your nerves, and my sis does quilting in Northern Minnesota, beautiful stuff, too. But, my hands are too large for the task, have such a hard time threading needles and can make a bloody mess.

Thanks for the welcome.

message 7: by Kristopher (new)

Kristopher | 14 comments Oh, yeah, the to be read list…I forgot to mention that. Your to be read list will get ugly pretty quickly. I've only been on GR for a month and have added 100+ books to my list. Consider yourself warned!

Kristopher

message 8: by John (last edited Aug 16, 2010 03:12PM) (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Emily, I take it you love dogs, too. I always have two or three, sometimes rescued, but usually breeder rejects, the ones they can't show because of some preceived flaw. I once had a Scottie (Apple Annie, by name) that had a 1" tail! She was a rescue found on the streets living under a dumpster behind a Chinese restaurant because larger dogs couldn't get at her there. When the Scottie rescue group called me, they warned me that I wasn't to judge her on our first meeting. This, of course, ignited my imagination. When they brought her into the room, my eyes popped. Shaved to the bare skin, covered in infected flea bites and that one inch tail, I was speechless. Moments later, she walked over to me, plopped down and rested her head on my tennis shoe!... I cried for weeks when I lost her after 11 years and can still cry today. Damn dogs!

message 9: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Yes,Austin is the best.I live in the DFW area. Kinda far from the costal areas. My favorite costal area in York, Maine. Watercolor is what I want to learn how to do. I have also learned a few tips from my friend without even taking a class yet. Imagine what I can learn when I do take lessons. Needlework is definitly a stress releiver. I do petit point and knitting mostly. We have many men that come in the local yarn shop. The one that most comes to mind Is a very tall (over 6ft) man with very large hands. He is knitting for the stress releif but also making sweaters for his girlfriend. You might want to give it a try. You could even make some sweaters for caregivers. And I'm sure your sister would be amazed. Have you published anything? If so, what? If not, what do you write about?

message 10: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Your faith in my ability to kit made me laugh out loud, my favorite activity. And... my sister would be laughing too if I shared it with her. I have published. My novel, an urban Christmas tale, came out in early July. The title is "The Wrong Bus" and is on Amazon.com. I've had two screenplays optioned of the five I've written. I write both quirky books and family friendy ones so far.

message 11: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice John, I have alot of faith in you. I know that you could do it. If I can do it, you can do it! My favorite activity is also laughing. And I have a wonderful sister that I can get with and we can make each ither laugh for hours. I'm definitly going to look up your books. I really enjoy quirky books.

message 12: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10062 comments Mod
hi John, Looks like you have made some friends already! Welcome to the group. I do not understand how people can keep multiple books going. I guess I am just a one book woman!!!!

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol Hello John. I am right up the freeway from you . Welcome to the group live long and write.

message 14: by John (last edited Aug 16, 2010 04:21PM) (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Basically, we're too lazy to drag one around everywhere we go. Seriously, different genre books are fairly easy to read in tandem. Yes, made some friends and enjoying the wide variety of topics.

message 15: by Casey (new)

Casey | 4 comments Hey everyone! I am also new and haven't posted that much, but the discussion about that sneaky "to read" list caught my attention. Ever since I joined this site I think I add about five books to the "to read" list every time I check one off that I have read. It's boggling how many books there are to read. I was an English major in college and felt that I had done a fair amount of reading, but I was seriously mistaken. Although the countless good reads out there are intimidating, it makes a really fun post-college project to make a goal to read a certain number/genre/author etc, and I get to choose the books I want to read this time instead of following the assigned reading list. Yay!

As for the polygamous readers out there, I find that I can't keep multiple storylines straight, or that I end up favoring one book over the other if I read multiple books at once. Then I feel guilty about the book that I've temporarily abandoned. Lori I'm with ya: one-book-at-a-time girl.

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol Welcome Casey, so glad you found the group.

message 17: by John (new)

John Hampton (johnnoel) | 30 comments Hi, Casey. Just love the use of "Polygamous readers" in your message. Are you identifying us with multiple partners, knowing that we, indeed, become one with the books we read? Whatever! Nice to see you join in. Can I be a friend?

message 18: by Casey (new)

Casey | 4 comments Thanks Carol. Sure John, I always welcome new friends!