Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Joan Jett Special Edition Barbie

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I will not be buying one.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Can't. Speechless.
Is it a real Barbie, or a different brand?
What kind of shoes?

message 4: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Can't. Speechless.
Is it a real Barbie, or a different brand?
What kind of shoes?"

Real Barbie from what I can tell.

Red high-top Chucks. What else?

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments is there a sid vicious ken?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought you were the resident TC Barbie expert Kevin.

message 7: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Can't. Speechless.
Is it a real Barbie, or a different brand?"

that looks like a real barbie face.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i am. but i had not been on barbierumors.com in a few days

message 9: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Aug 16, 2010 12:35PM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "is there a sid vicious ken?"

Would you settle for Ramones action figures?

How about Lemmy?

Keef?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm just pleased they have her in chucks instead of high heels.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yes, those will do nicely. i will let them trash the dreamhouse and the pink corvette and make barbie their groupie

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Joan Jett Barbie isn't anybody's groupie, yo.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments :)

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments If I were forced at gunpoint to buy a Barbie, I guess I'd buy this one. It nearly KILLED me when my youngest went through a Barbie stage. I VOWED to those girls I would never buy them a Goddamned Barbie. SO six girl cousins show up with their Hand-me-down Barbies. Hundreds of them, I swear. So many pointy shoes, so many pointy boobs. ARGH. Luckily they are all out of the house except Kenyan barbie. She is pretty badass. She can stay.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I hated Barbies, and managed to get through childhood without having one forced on me.

My niece adores them, and I have been encouraged to get her more "princesses." I buy her books instead.

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Thank you, Sarah. I hate that whole princess thing. You know these princess girls grow up and go to college and wonder why everyone doesn't cater to their every whim. And, oh my god, why doesn't this textbook sparkle?

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Well, my sister in law wanted a girly girl, so it's reinforced in the home. And there's nothing wrong with that, if the kid likes it. She's a beautiful little girl who is adored by her parents.

The thing I found really interesting was reading Where the Wild Things Are. I had loved that book as a kid, and I read it to her in the same way that my parents had read it to me. And she LOVED it. We acted it out and roared our terrible roars and gnashed our terrible teeth and shouted "I'll eat you up I love you so!" and she made me read it to her about thirty times in a row.
And there's nothing fancy or glitzy about it.

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Good thing she's able to roar with Aunt Sarah. You must keep her grounded.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments wanna hear a barbie sad story? in honduras i saw a little girl on the side of the road playing in the dirt and her only toy was a barbie LEG. that's it. just a leg. and she was dancing it around and having fun with it. boy, did i feel spoiled after that

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Cynthia wrote: "Good thing she's able to roar with Aunt Sarah. You must keep her grounded."

When I see her. She's far away. Mostly I see her as a tiny streak across the Sykpe video screen.

message 21: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "wanna hear a barbie sad story? in honduras i saw a little girl on the side of the road playing in the dirt and her only toy was a barbie LEG. that's it. just a leg. and she was dancing it around an..."

Holy Mother of God. We have SO much STUFF. That's kind of how I felt in St. Lucia. Kids would have a ball, playing with a tin can, a paper cup, any little thing brought such joy.

message 22: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye | 17 comments Is this actually real? If so, I'm totally buying it. One of my greatest memories is chatting with Joan Jett back stage as a youngun- she had wet hair and a big fluffy white bathrobe, and she was actually shorter than me which was pretty novel. And, she was probably tied with Kira from Black Flag as the nicest rock star I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

message 23: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye | 17 comments Holy crap, they also have Debbie Harry and Cyndi Lauper! And Mad Men dolls! I feel like I've stumbled on to something fascinating here. I mean, I know people collect this stuff, but I had no idea about this angle.

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 16, 2010 05:47PM) (new)

Cynthia wrote: "Thank you, Sarah. I hate that whole princess thing. You know these princess girls grow up and go to college and wonder why everyone doesn't cater to their every whim. And, oh my god, why doesn't th..."

Most of them grow out of it pretty quickly. Thank goodness.

message 25: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i loved my barbies, and my fake barbies. there were always too few kens though, which resulted in barbies with ugly cut-off hair.

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments My girls once owned a Happy To Be Me doll. She had a not-teeny waist and sort of normal-looking (Not cone-shaped) boobs. Her feet were flat, not standing permanently on tiptoe. She was pretty cool, but could not fit into Barbie's clothing. So her fashion choices were limited. Mostly she liked to steal Barbie's car and sassy gay boyfriend.

message 27: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments My daughers? 17 Barbies (I counted them, they were lined up on the bunk beds last night) and they're all butt naked.

message 28: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, Clark, I have three sons, so I'm up on this, but tell me...one of my friends with daughters says it's not the Barbies but the accessories that are the problem. Like you'll be walking across the carpet in bare feet and a high-heeled Barbie should will cause great pain...

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments At least a shoe is squishier than one of those Legos in your heel. OW!

message 30: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Army men, too, Cynthia. Army men hurt like a bitch.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "Army men, too, Cynthia. Army men hurt like a bitch."

With all apologies to Sally - TWSS

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments nothing. nothing. nothing i say, is as bad as an old fashioned steel jack. remember the jacks game where you bounced the ball and picked up jacks? these were used in ancient warfare to hinder troop advancement. one of the carpet in the dark and you teach your kids all kinds of new and colorful words

description

message 33: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Cynthia wrote: "At least a shoe is squishier than one of those Legos in your heel. OW!"

Or right in your arch.

Actually RA, the Barbie accessories aren't as crippling as Legos or Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars.

message 34: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Kevin is right. Jacks in the arch wins. Very stabby.

message 35: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments a jack incident is where the word "mutha-humper" came from

message 36: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Aug 17, 2010 08:05AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments

[image error]

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments they had a george michael version that came with a little city park restroom stall

message 38: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "they had a george michael version that came with a little city park restroom stall"

Men's room or ladies'?

message 39: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments def boys. WHAM!