Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments I was watching the 2010 Book Expo on C-SPAN yesterday. It was a panel of publishers and other book distribution executives.

Two impressions I received from them was:

1. Authors, as well as publishers, are scared that they will not make any money in the future due to e-books.

2. They mentioned how authors need to self promote through websites. Face book was mentioned numerous times but not one panel member mentioned goodreads.

Any thoughts on this?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It would seem that Goodreads would supply a built in market for them, and maybe their publishers aren't doing as good a job of promotion as they could.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24099 comments Mod
Was that the panel with Scott Turow? I saw one with him and Esther Newberg and a bunch of publishers.

I guess I'm not surprised no one mentioned Goodreads. I think it still has a pretty low profile, especially compared to Facebook. But a lot of new authors do come to Goodreads, and promote the hell out of their books, to the point of spamming people. If you peruse some of the other groups you'll find new authors everywhere trying to get people to read their books. Especially self-published authors.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Amazon is the worst for self-pub authors. So many indie authors over there only pop into forums to post a 5 paragraph summary of their book, and don't contribute to the forums in any other way.

What's sad is that Amazon even gives you tools to help sell your books. They allow you to add a signature line with a link to your book, as well as the option to put "author" next to your name with a mouse over window that will show a picture of your book. Even with both of those tools, authors will still continue to post summaries of their book in multiple threads to the point where they will bump threads that are several months old just to cut and paste their summary.

I've gotten into it with a few of the authors over there, explaining that no one wants a book crammed down their throat. As long as the author is contributing to the discussions and giving actual input other than "buy my book!" they'll receive due respect from the the readers.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.