The Sword and Laser discussion

Casting for "Dragon Tattoo"

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1666 comments Mod
Rooney Mara has been cast as Lisbeth Salander in the American version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. What do you think about this casting?

As an aside, I think Daniel Craig will make a great Mikael Blomkvist.

message 2: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (syar) I have major reservations about this Hollywood version of the film. I am a HUGE fan of the books and I love the Swedish film they made but I just can't see in my mind how Daniel Craig will make a good Blomkvist. For me the casting of Michael Nyqvist was perfect and it basically matched what I had in my head in terms of the character. The same goes for Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth. Maybe I have just come to associate them with the characters to much that seeing them in a new light will be hard. Personally i'm not bothered about going to see the American version but I will be there first night for 'the girl who played with fire' at my local cinema.

message 3: by Will (new)

Will (w13rdo) | 37 comments Veronica wrote: "As an aside, I think Daniel Craig will make a grea..."

Agree there, I think he's what I imagined reading the book and his description, moreso than Michael Nyqvist. I don't know about Rooney Mara, haven't seen enough of her to judge. Noomi Rapace wasn't small enough of stature or androgynous enough for me (at least insofar as described in the first book, pre-op).

But then again, the trilogy was one of those instances than from everything I've read about Larsson and given some of his subject matter, I should have liked it more but didn't.

message 4: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Aug 17, 2010 07:52PM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2835 comments Can Americans really not just sit and watch a foreign film? Or is it that Hollywood has no new ideas? ;)

*grumble grumble*

message 5: by Will (new)

Will (w13rdo) | 37 comments Jenny wrote: "Can Americans really not just sit and watch a foreign film? Or is it that Hollywood has no new ideas? ;)

*grumble grumble*"

Yes. To both it seems.

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments I found the Swedish Lisbeth to be extremely good, but it's alittle tough to rate someone speaking a langauge I don't understand. I think it's going to take a very sophisticated actress to fill Lisbeth's shoes, I wish her luck.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul | 1 comments First pictures of Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/slidesh...

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard Guion (giantsizegeek) | 158 comments When I read the Millennium series, I had the image of Katherine Moennig in my head. She played Shane on The L Word. Way too tall for the role, I think she is 5'10". But I think she's a good actress and very intelligent. Just picture her with tattoos and piercings...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0595485/

message 9: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 19 comments I agree the Americans cannot leave a successful foreign movie alone. And they always screw it up. The Swedish film was fine. Actually, it was better than the book (which was excruciatingly bad).

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth (petersonb12) | 40 comments If the original is amazing, why remake it? I suppose an argument *could* be made for an American remake if the original were completely culturally inaccessible to Americans. These books have been a phenomenal succees in the US and the movies are great, clearly not inaccessible to Americans.

And, even if they were inaccessible to some Americans, I would argue that Americans should try to be less ethnocentric and attempt to see things from a different perspective. Even if it is in another language.

/polemics

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian | 67 comments Warning. The current Dragon Tattoo movie in the rental places are SUBTITLED. Wish someone told me that last month before I rented it. I hate reading movies. I read the whole movie but got the audiobook the next day.

message 12: by Alan (new)

Alan (professoralan) Like "Let the Right One In," I am going to make sure I see the original before seeing the English-language remake.

message 13: by Stan (last edited Sep 27, 2010 12:02PM) (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Royal wrote: "Warning. The current Dragon Tattoo movie in the rental places are SUBTITLED..."

BINGO -

A lot of people *hate* having to read the film instead of watching the actors perform.

P.S. - It looks like some re-makes can do well

"Let me in" (remake of "Let the Right One In") has been getting great reviews on the Rotten Tomatoes site.

"One of the best remakes to come along in quite some time."
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/let_m...

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Wilson | 1 comments I watched the DVD with the subtitles on and only after I finished realized that there is an English audio track as well, it's just not the default. I didn't really mind in the end though. There is a bonus interview with the actress (in English) that was pretty interesting as well. I'm planning to watch all three of the Swedish films before seeing the American version. The Girl Who Played with Fire is supposed to be available from Netflix by the end of October.