[asmb] Book Club discussion

Archives > September's Book of the Month Nominations.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

Glodson | 235 comments Mod
Okay, just like last month, make your suggestion here.

The only new rule is that we'll only accept one suggestion per member. Last time, we just had so much involvement, I just want to make sure everyone feels they have their voice heard.

We'll keep this open until we hit 20 books, or until the 23rd. This will give us time to select a book.

The selection process will be the same. I'll make a poll when we close this, and we'll all find out the results at the same time, just like last time.

If you want to renominate your book from last month, that is perfectly acceptable.

message 2: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman is my nomination again this month.

You might ask Elf what she wants to nominate, she listed a couple in the suggestions thread for the club but wanted them to count for the BotM.

message 3: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

I already did.

We talked about it over the weekend, at one point. I might suggest one from her other selections as well, since it was my idea to read a few of those mysteries, since I've never read any of them.

message 4: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Hmmm, I will have to ponder this, I have several id like to suggest, but I think I might hold off till I see what the list starts shaping up to be.

message 5: by Mary (last edited Aug 17, 2010 07:48PM) (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments Now that I've had a chance to see what some of the group members like, I'm going to nominate The Mirror of Her Dreams, it's a little bit older fantasy book that I think some of you might not have read. This book may look similar to the book we just read but it really isn't. The similarities are superficial. This book focuses more on power struggles, intrigue, and character.

I haven't read it since I was a teenager but I remember it being very good. I think most of you will like it if you give it a chance. If you're familiar with Donaldson it's a bit of a departure from his usual style. For one thing, the main character is a woman. It's the first half of a duology, so it wouldn't be a big undertaking to read the whole "series".

Next month maybe I'll nominate something different. I've read a lot of Historical novels, Mysteries, and Suspense/Thrillers. I'll pick something from one of my other favorites next.

I found a good review for this book. But I am too inept to link it properly. Read the review by Lynne on the first page for the book(4 star) if you're interested.

message 6: by Andra (new)

Andra | 75 comments The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

my suggestion from last month ^_^

message 7: by Pryoga (new)

Pryoga | 1 comments Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien is my nomination.

I've read four of Tim O'Brien's books (amazing stuff), but I haven't read this one yet. This one won the National Book Award in Fiction in 1979, so that's something. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for a while, so I figure if it gets selected, I'll finally have the motivation I need to read it.

message 8: by Apollo (new)

Apollo Frimel | 63 comments I'm not sure which of my previous books to suggest. either Daughter of the Blood or Wizard's First Rule I'll let you choose between the two. I'm interested in what others think of them.

message 9: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

I'll let Jamie pick, then. I've read them both. And I enjoyed them both.

message 10: by Apollo (new)

Apollo Frimel | 63 comments Oh I knew you read DotB I didn't know you have read WFR also. Most awesome.

message 11: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Me decide? What? Why? >_<

I'd say Daughter of the Blood though... I want to start the Sword of Truth series, but I think a shorter book would have a better chance of winning since we just read a beefy book.

message 12: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

You because... well, it seemed to be best. I've read them both, and I have a preference of the two, but I don't want an undue voice in selecting our books.

Since I thought you hadn't read either, it would be a good way to get a random selection between the two.

And they are both good books to read. So there wasn't really a downside anyways.

message 13: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Huh. Makes sense. Yeah, I've not read either of them.

message 14: by Jingai (new)

Jingai | 56 comments September Recommendation :

To Reign in Hell

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments Are we only going to have six suggestions this month? That's not very many. Hopefully we'll get a couple more.

message 16: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I'll send out a mass PM and see if we can get a few more people to nominate.

message 17: by Brittney (new)

Brittney Growltiger | 13 comments I'm not gonna nominate. But I know which nomination I'm supporting at this point.

I intend to participate in September's reading. August was a mess.

message 18: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments Ok ok...nomination before someone shows up on my doorstep with garlic and a wooden stake....umm....

"The Broke Diaries [the completely true and hilarious misadventures of a good girl gone broke:]" by Angela Nissel.

message 19: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Nightwalker by Jocelynn Drake

It is a series, but the first one ends nicely enough that if you dont want to continue the series you dont have too. But this book has some of the most interesting characters I've come across when it comes to Vampire books.

message 20: by Lildreamelf (new)

Lildreamelf | 81 comments I don't see why we can't take a few off of the bookshelf from last months recommendations if we are a little short on enthusiasm.

message 21: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

We could, but there's no real issue with having a small selection - it'll just mean there's going to be more votes per book.

message 22: by Keith (last edited Aug 23, 2010 08:55AM) (new)

Keith (oafaye) | 60 comments Since I went Fantasy last month, I think I will go SciFi this month. So, I'm going to go with... Ender's Game

message 23: by Apollo (new)

Apollo Frimel | 63 comments I <3 Enders game.

message 24: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
I was just thinking of rereading enders game, but couldn't remember where I put it, I think its in a box with my Harry potter books

message 25: by Andra (new)

Andra | 75 comments Dian wrote: "I was just thinking of rereading enders game, but couldn't remember where I put it, I think its in a box with my Harry potter books"

just re-read it a week ago along with speaker for the dead and xenocide, since we've been talking about it so much on here.

message 26: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

Okay, everyone, today is the last day to nominate.

I'll likely leave this open until I get to it tomorrow morning, unless JK gets to it first.

message 27: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Hey hey, I could make the poll and be able to see what's been voted on before the end.... >_>

message 28: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Yeah andrea that's why I wanted to reread it too, we talked about it a lot. I did that with several of my books that I have been mentioning on here. It's hard not too.

message 29: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

JK wrote: "Hey hey, I could make the poll and be able to see what's been voted on before the end.... >_>"

Go for it.

I don't mind. Being kept in suspense would be nice for a change.

message 30: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Excellent!

... really I just wanted to play around with making polls. >_<

message 31: by Mary (last edited Aug 23, 2010 09:48PM) (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments I <3 ender's game too. Now I have to make a decision on what to vote for. I haven't read that in a long time. I did give a copy to my nephew, too bad he lives too far away for me to borrow it. :D.

Edit: Looking over reviews trying to decide on my vote for this month made me think of something to nominate for next month already. If I remember it that long.

I think we ended up with a nice number for this poll. There's enough variety without it being overwhelming.
Edit: I still have to choose between three (or four if I include my own nomination).

message 32: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

I prefer the smaller selection as well. I think it'll make the voting much better really.

message 33: by Lildreamelf (new)

Lildreamelf | 81 comments JK wrote: "I prefer the smaller selection as well. I think it'll make the voting much better really."

heh... i thought you were unhappy with the small selection.

message 34: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Nuh uh, well, I did send out that PM, but that was when we only had six suggestions. That'd be enough books as well, but ten is a nice selection size. It's small, but not too small.

message 35: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
10 is easier to deal with, no so overwhelming

message 36: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

It is a much smaller list than last time, but that's not surprising. With school getting going again, I'm sure many are busy.

Hell, I had a rough couple of days myself. It will take me some time to find my legs this semester.

message 37: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Do your legs move about to different places when school starts? I mean, I'd imagine you could just look down and find them quite easily.

message 38: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

That's what we call a metaphor.

Getting used to taking my little one to her day care is rough. Add to that the flat tire I got, and the sheer amount of stuff I take to her daycare, with her, each day, has made for a challenge.

message 39: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

That's what we call lame jokes. Don't poke fun at my joke. :manmad:

Ah, how's that going anyways? I remember you saying it'd be hard to send her to daycare. And I understand the metaphor... school can be rough enough without having to juggle a family with it.

message 40: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

I poke at whatever I want to.

And the first day wasn't hard. Today was hard, as the second I put her down, she started to cry.

But she'll get used to it. They said she just cried for a little bit, then had a great day. I am looking forward to next week, when the other kids get there.

message 41: by Lildreamelf (new)

Lildreamelf | 81 comments Glodson wrote: "I poke at whatever I want to."

he's not lying. *rubs her eye*

message 42: by Apollo (new)

Apollo Frimel | 63 comments I poke my gf in the eye also.

message 43: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Im trying to not read innuendos in that, but failing....still trying though.

What is with men poking people in the eyes? I poke people just not in such sensitive areas....*sigh* yeah im not helping my dirty mind with that comment. >.<

message 44: by Apollo (new)

Apollo Frimel | 63 comments Mine was a little more innocent. I always poke my gf's nose because she's Jewish it's my fun way to literally poke fun at her. This time I had my eyes closed and was trying to feel around for her nose but poked her eye instead lol but yes as a man I declare myself good at sticking things in places.

message 45: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
yeah my mind has always taken things to very wrong and sexual places...its been that way since I hit puberty. I can find a double meaning in anything I real almost.

And I hope your gf gets to poke you back especially if you keep poking her in the eye!

message 46: by Apollo (new)

Apollo Frimel | 63 comments She likes to play with my nipples :| I hate it.

message 47: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
hahaha, serves you right after poking her in the eye.

message 48: by Nora aka Diva, The Diva Mod (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 391 comments Mod
ApolloDavid wrote: "I <3 Enders game."

Yup, it looks like I might really be the odd person out in this book club. I hated Ender's game. Didnt finish it either.

message 49: by Apollo (new)

Apollo Frimel | 63 comments *cocks gun* git off my property >8 (

lol ;)

message 50: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments ApolloDavid wrote: "She likes to play with my nipples :| I hate it."

That's what you get for having that third one. o.O Sticking a tassle on it doesn't help matters either.

And I haven't read 'Ender's Game' but I read I think the third in the series and hated it. All I could think of was 'this is Gundam. I hate Gundam'.

« previous 1