Booksfree discussion

Welcome

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 40 comments Mod
Welcome to the new group!
Please introduce yourself and start a discussion.
Please ask any questions you have about booksfree or goodreads, if no one knows the answer, I'll try to find out. I'm pretty good at research.
I really like booksfree, but I only have the cheapest subscription because I only use it for books that aren't in my local libraries.
I love goodreads and I am a volunteer librarian here. Please let me know what we can do to make this group a success.
I hope you like goodreads as much a I do.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

If you are friends with any other booksfree members, please invite them to join the group.
Thanks

message 3: by Deborah (new)

OK, we have some members now, but I hope someone is better at getting discussions started than I am, or it may be a very quiet group. :-)

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) Yep I am a booksfree member, love it! I was a bad girl today and preordered a book that I could get at booksfree. Spy Glass by Maria Snyder. I have the other 2 glass books, waiting for this one then I will read them one after another! She is a great author.

message 5: by Dero (new)

Dero | 6 comments I have been a booksfree member for 6 years. I used to get 2 audiobooks and 2 books each month and supplemented by the used bookstore books but since my long commute days are over and my elderly mom lives with me and she is an avid reader, I only do books, 4 at a time. We split the list. Some are hers and some are mine. We both LOVE booksfree.

message 6: by Deborah (new)

How do you manage your queue so that you both get books?

message 7: by Dero (new)

Dero | 6 comments I look at it when I send the books back and look at the next 4 books that are rated as High and just make sure that at least one of mine is on that category by moving it to the top of the list. If the next 4 are all Mom's, I move one of mine and if the next 4 are all mine, I move at least 2 for Mom since she reads more than I do.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

The first 4 that are at high availability when I mail mine back are seldom the first four at high availability when they select my order.

message 9: by Dero (new)

Dero | 6 comments I live pretty close to the Booksfree office so mine are usually the first 4 on high availablity, sometimes we get a surprise but not often.

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Maybe mine just change availability more than yours. I've had at least one that was high the day before they received my books and went back to high that afternoon, but was medium when they filled my order.

message 11: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Hello, I joined booksfree just a few weeks ago and was ECSTATIC to get my first book order..devoured those books in like 3 days. I am only doing the lowest one (all I can afford). I would prefer to go to the library but I don't drive and the all five of the "closest" libraries to me are like 15 mins away by car (kid you not!) -which isn't bad when by car but we lack a decent bus service and def too far to walk or even safe to ride a bike to.

I have a question...about how long does it generally take for them to receive your returned books and get your next order out?

Also is a book is labeled a "rare book" but has an availability of Now what is the likelihood your will get that book? I really want to read this book, I could purchase it but the whole point of using booksfree is to help limit the amount of money I spend monthly on books...it also confuses me because all the other books in the series all seem to have a high availability, what is so different about this ONE book that makes it rare?

It sounds like they need multiple distribution centers like they do with Netflix. Probably not as many but split it up the country in half or fourths..and if there is a greater need for a book at one location they could borrow it from another one.

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Call your library, they may be able to help in some way. The bookmobile may come closer to you, some libraries will even mail you books in special cases, don't know if not driving will qualify, but it doesn't hurt to ask. You may be able to download ebooks and audiobooks from your library. Don't forget your taxes are paying for these services.

Depends a lot on where you live. It's usually about a week from the time I mail mine until I get the next package. Try doubling the time it took your first shipment to arrive. Weekends, holidays, and the first of the month can all cause delays.

Put that book at the top of the queue and unless someone else gets it before your next shipment gets to booksfree, you will get it. That means they have it at the warehouse now, but it is there only copy and they can't replace it if something happens to it.

What's the book? Maybe we can figure out why it is rare.

message 13: by Katrina (new)

Katrina I don't even think we have a book mobile...ebooks are great but the ones at the library don't work on my kindle and I don't like to read on the computer. I did the audiobooks through overdrive for a bit but 9/10 I would be gung-ho to listen to it at the beginning but lost interest in sitting there and listening by the end, rarely finished a book.

The book is called "Death Takes Passage" by Sue Henry...it is part of her Alaskan Mystery series...published in 98 but so was the rest of the series (well, I mean in the late 90s, early 00s)...you can still purchase copies at Amazon and other bookstores, they are even releasing it for Kindle in a week or so. My only guess is a lot of people borrowed it and then went on an Alaskan cruise (which is what is about) and lost it or something

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Could just be a timing thing and they may be able to get more copies after the next printing. Mysteries are very popular and probably have to be replaced more than most of the books I read, at least I've seen other people complain about books falling apart and mine have been in very good shape. I think everything currently on my queue is newer than that, or at least is a re-issue. One set of books I read that was rare aren't available because she was an independent author that has sold the series to Tor.

message 15: by Dero (new)

Dero | 6 comments I live relatively close to the Booksfree warehouse and it still takes a week to get books that their site has shipped. Sometimes I think they don't ship them right away. I have been with Booksfree for 6 years now. When the book has LOW availablity, they do not stock it but will locate a copy if you put it in the ship next box. I love Booksfree!

message 16: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) When a book is designated Rare but is available Now, and it is at the top of your queue when your books come in, you will get that book in your next shipment.

I am in PA and books take from 3 to 14 days to reach me. Usually 4-5 days.

message 17: by Katrina (new)

Katrina The book was shipped btw...but waiting on approximatively the 10th day. It took them around 3 days to process my books back into the facility but 10(ish) days -have not received my second order yet)- to get them back out to me...OBNOXIOUS. They would benefit from splitting the US into four zones and have a distribution site for each zone. The price I pay is ALMOST not worth the wait..ALMOST.

message 18: by Angi (new)

Angi | 7 comments Hi All!!

I LOVE Booksfree (and goodreads for that matter! :) and have been a member since my friend introduced me to it in 2007. I live overseas, so for me, Booksfree is a Godsend. It saves me from having to buy books on the Internet all of the time. I have the 6-at-a-time membership, but that changes sometimes - sometimes more, sometimes less - but this is my average.

message 19: by Deborah (new)

Welcome to the group!

message 20: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) Angi, how long does it take you to get books, where ever you are?

message 21: by Angi (new)

Angi | 7 comments It usually takes a couple of weeks- that is why I usually do the 6-at-a-time because it provides me with a good rotation.

message 22: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) That's great! I didn't know booksfree was open to overseas residents.

message 23: by Angi (new)

Angi | 7 comments Hm, I 'm not sure it does. We have a stateside address (an APO) so it goes through that to get to us. It is indeed great! :))

message 24: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) that's pretty awesome!

message 25: by Yogi (new)

Yogi (yogiplayground) | 3 comments Hi Everyone...I just found the thread in the booksfree forum and decided to join Goodreads and this group!! Yay!!! I'm rather new to booksfree in general...I'm sure I'm sent some of you guys that was in the forum post a friend request!! So everyone feel free to friend me!!

Happy Holidays!

Happy Reading!!

Yogi

message 26: by Deborah (new)

Yogi wrote: "Hi Everyone...I just found the thread in the booksfree forum and decided to join Goodreads and this group!! Yay!!! I'm rather new to booksfree in general...I'm sure I'm sent some of you guys that w..."

I friended you. Welcome to the group and to goodreads, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.