The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.9- Under The Covers

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 21, 2010 01:08AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17397 comments Mod
10.9 UNDER THE COVERS- A good book is flashlight worthy. - Go to Flashlight Worthy, browse around a bit, then choose a list you like, read one book from that list. Required: Please tell us the list that you chose. Optional: Tell us if your book was "flashlight worthy".

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Where have these lists been, this is a great website!

message 5: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Okay, so one of the lists is Best Fantasy Series for Teens: (http://www.flashlightworthybooks.com/...) It lists the first book in several teen fantasy series. Would I need to read the book pictured, or could I read any book from the series? (I wanted to read Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex)

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Sara ♥ wrote: "Okay, so one of the lists is Best Fantasy Series for Teens: (http://www.flashlightworthybooks.com/...) It lists the first book in several teen fantasy series. Would ..."

It should be the book listed/pictured

message 7: by Meera (new)

Meera | 123 comments I think this is a cool site. I picked out a graphic novel Blankets from the list http://www.flashlightworthybooks.com/....

Can I read that even though it is a graphic novel and also, can I use the page count (582) towards my total pages read? thanks

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Graphic novels that meet the page requirements see Rules rev. 2 would work.
The challenge doesn't require a specific number of pages, though many people do keep track. The page count does qualify you for a 500 page "Big Book Ticket" (see 20.5 in the Rules) that is entered into a drawing to create a task. You must state that you are claiming a Big Book when you post in the Completed Tasks thread.

message 9: by Sandy (last edited Aug 30, 2010 08:12AM) (new)

Sandy | 15608 comments Mod
This site is also a great place to find books for other tasks, since there are so many lists on so many topics.

I was also thinking, along that line, that the Wall St. Journal lists from the summer challenge might be generally helpful (not for this task, of course, but in finding books for other tasks).

message 10: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments I'm going to read The Hunger Games for this task. I didn't get to it before this. And my library had a waiting list of 88 people, so I broke down and bought it. I can't wait until it comes. There are so many choices.

message 11: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Could I use one of the books from The Complete Harry Potter Series? I am trying to read the whole Harry Potter series and this seems to fit.

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

Meghan wrote: "Could I use one of the books from The Complete Harry Potter Series? I am trying to read the whole Harry Potter series and this seems to fit."

7 Harry Potter are featured on this list- you may pick any one

message 13: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Thanks! I thought it could possibly be considered cheating or something. It seemed too easy.

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15608 comments Mod
Meghan wrote: "Thanks! I thought it could possibly be considered cheating or something. It seemed too easy."

LOL! I always feel that way when I check a list and right there is something I was hoping/planning to read!

message 15: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Is there a way to search the site for a book? When I use the search function, it seems to just give me Amazon links. I want to try to find is a specific book is included in a list -- rather than have to look through every list.

message 16: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10777 comments Mod
Christine US wrote: "Is there a way to search the site for a book? When I use the search function, it seems to just give me Amazon links. I want to try to find is a specific book is included in a list -- rather than h..."

You need to put the book title in the search box at the top right-hand corner of the screen. If the book is on any of the lists, the search will show up the lists. If the books is not on any of the lists, it returns a link to Amazon.

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenlovesbooks) I'm going to read The Alchemist; it's on the site under the list "11 Great Books for Unconventional Living". Bonus: my friend Emily just loaned it to me! :)