The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.8- What A Way To Make A Living

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 21, 2010 01:07AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17482 comments Mod
10.8 WHAT A WAY TO MAKE A LIVING- Vacation is over and it is back to work- Read a work memoir (Non-Fiction) Work memoirs focus on the experiences of the author's career. Ex. Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science, All Creatures Great and Small, Stet: An Editor's Life, Teacher Man, On Thin Ice: Breakdowns, Whiteouts, and Survival on the World's Deadliest Roads

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Sep 10, 2010 05:27PM) (new)

books must be non-fiction
General autobiographies are not appropriate for this task- the focus must be on the author's career
Books like
Gig: Americans Talk About Their Jobs do work as long as there are reports from individuals included in a collection. General career books like What Color Is Your Parachute? 2010 do not work

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin (eecamp) | 0 comments Would Gig: Americans Talk About Their Jobs work, even though it has multiple authors, talking about multiple careers?

message 5: by Dee (last edited Aug 21, 2010 03:14PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7538 comments does this one work: On Call In Hell - written by a doctor in iraq

message 6: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra On Writing by Stephen King?

It's subtitled "A memoir of the craft."

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

Erin wrote: "Would Gig: Americans Talk About Their Jobs work, even though it has multiple authors, talking about multiple careers?"

yes

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "does this one work: On Call In Hell - written by a doctor in iraq"

yes

message 9: by Dlmrose (new)

Rhea wrote: "On Writing by Stephen King?

It's subtitled "A memoir of the craft.""

yes

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 682 comments Here's another one which would work here: Water Cooler Diaries: Women Across America Share Their Day at Work

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10882 comments Mod
What do you think of What Should I Do with My Life?: The True Story of People Who Answered the Ultimate Question? It's about people who have changed careers in midlife and why they chose to do so. Would that work?

message 15: by Dlmrose (new)

Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "What do you think of What Should I Do with My Life?: The True Story of People Who Answered the Ultimate Question? It's about people who have changed careers in midlife and why they ch..."

This works because of "The True Story of People Who Answered the Ultimate Question".
General career advice/search books would not work.

message 16: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I'm interested in either reading Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab the Body Farm Where the Dead Do Tell Tales about his career working as a forensic scientist
orFair Game: My Life As a Spy, My Betrayal by the White House about her career as a spy.

Would either (or both) be acceptable?

message 17: by Dlmrose (new)

Christine US wrote: "I'm interested in either reading Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab the Body Farm Where the Dead Do Tell Tales about his career working as a forensic scientist
or[book:..."

Both work

message 18: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Some ideas:

WORK MEMOIRS

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Beth NC wrote: "Some ideas:

WORK MEMOIRS"

Thanks, Beth- a nice place to start!
But be careful with lists- anyone can add a book and not everything may work for a SRC task
There are some novels on this list and some general biographies

message 22: by Dlmrose (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Would Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter work here?"

yes

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Nicki wrote: "Would No Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels worh for this task?"

yes- his experience as a federal agent undercover

message 29: by Dlmrose (new)

Pollyanna wrote: "Would Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen work?"

Powell works at a soul-sucking secretarial job
Sorry, no

message 30: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I'm reading Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist right now (new/blue), and while the entire thing isn't dedicated to his work, the first chunk of it is, and I'm assuming there will be other stories from his acting career sprinkled through the rest. Would that work for people? (It's really good so far!)

As for me, I was thinking of reading Lucky Man: A Memoir or A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future: Life Lessons from a High School Dropout... Would either of those work?

message 31: by Dlmrose (new)

Sara ♥ wrote: "I'm reading Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist right now (new/blue), and while the entire thing isn't dedicated to his work, the first chunk of it is, and I'm..."

All three seem to be more autobiographies than work memoirs- for celebrities especially, be careful that the books focus on the career

message 32: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Garlic and Sapphires about a food critic

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Could I use Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated? According to what I looked up about it, it's almost entirely about her stint on the show, but with other bits about her later acting career in it.

message 34: by Janice (last edited Aug 23, 2010 11:51PM) (new)

Janice  | 654 comments This is one of my very favorite genres. Here's a few unforgettable reads:

Population: 485: Meeting Your Neighbors One Siren at a Time by Michael Perry
The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth. I read it for the favorite genre task summer season.
Jungle Jack: My Wild Life by Jack Hanna

I'm going to read Making the Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat by David Dosa. I'm finally second in my library queue after waiting three months. The author is a doctor who works with the elderly.

message 35: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments What about :

Waiting: The True Confessions of a Waitress by Debra Ginsbeg

Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl by Belle de Jour (Brooke Magnanti)

message 36: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2039 comments Does it have to be a long-term career or would books such as One Pair of Hands, One Pair of Feet and My Turn to Make the Tea do?

message 37: by Dlmrose (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "Could I use Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated? According to what I looked up about it, it's almost entirely about her stint..."

It's hard to tell from the description whether this works- maybe 80/20? It seems to push it with the last bit:
also bravely recounts her life's challenges: her struggle to survive a history of traumatic abuse, depression, and paralyzing shyness; the "secret" her father kept from her for twenty years; and the devastating loss of her "Little House husband" and best friend, Steve Tracy, to AIDS, which inspired her second career in social and political activism.

If this is tops on your list and you think if fits, I'll take it since it does seem to provide a behind-the-scene look at TV

message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Aleksandra wrote: "What about :

Waiting: The True Confessions of a Waitress by Debra Ginsbeg

Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl by Belle de Jour (Brooke Magnanti)"

Yes

message 39: by Dlmrose (new)

Coralie wrote: "Does it have to be a long-term career or would books such as One Pair of Hands, One Pair of Feet and My Turn to Make the Tea do?"

I'll take them since my library has them shelved as Bios- some on GR have One Pair of Feet shelved as novels.

message 40: by Donna Jo (new)

message 42: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments This would be a reread for me, which is why it's not on my list, but I loved it when I read it the first time:
Learning to Bow: Inside the Heart of Japan. It's all about the author's year teaching in Japan, his interactions with the staff, and the cultural differences he found between himself and the people around him.

message 43: by Dlmrose (new)

Donna Jo wrote: "I think The Dead Beat: Lost Souls, Lucky Stiffs, and the Perverse Pleasures of Obituaries may work. It was a very interesting book."

The description makes it sound like a micro-history, but Amazon says the author is a journalist who's written obituaries of Princess Di and Johnny Cash. Johnson is writing about her industry, so it works.

message 44: by Dlmrose (new)

Christine US wrote: "I'm maybe rethinking my earlier choices...are these acceptable?

31 Months in Japan: The Building of a Theme Park
A Raven in My Heart: Reflections of a Bookseller
..."

yes

message 45: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet

Would one of the books by James Herriot as his days as a vet count?

message 46: by Kim (new)

message 47: by Dlmrose (new)

Kim wrote: "It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet

Would one of the books by James Herriot as his days as a vet count?"

Yes, one is listed as an example in the task description

message 48: by Dlmrose (new)

Kim wrote: "Day Job, The: Adventures of a Jobbing Gardener
This is my other alternative"

I might do that one myself! Thanks for the suggestion

message 49: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments oops missed that in the description- blame the headache today!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Ms Anderson wrote: "This would be a reread for me, which is why it's not on my list, but I loved it when I read it the first time:
Learning to Bow: Inside the Heart of Japan. It's all about the author's ..."

You might also like Frank McCourt's Teacher Man. I have not read it, but it sounds as if the subject would appeal to you.

« previous 1 3