The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.7- City Lights

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 22, 2010 08:28AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17501 comments Mod
10.7 CITY LIGHTS-- Read a book with the name of a specific city (town, village, etc.) OR the word "City" in the title. Ex. Galveston, London Calling, The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America. Since this task requires a specific city, "cities" and other variations may not be used.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 31, 2010 03:52AM) (new)

Explaining Yes
"Does the City have to be a real place? I am hoping to read Gone to Green which takes place in Green, LA. Does this work?"
OK
But if it is not obvious, please reference the city,state/country when you post

same is true for Does the city name have to be the city? ie: Bend, Oregon is a city, but can the title be Around the Bend--- using the city name in another way? please reference the city, state/country

A post would be helpful for The Lincoln Lawyer because I think "president", before I think "Nebraska". If you state why it fits, I have no questions

And one person's hamlet is another person's city- I'll refine it with (town, village, etc)

message 3: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 22, 2010 08:29AM) (new)

Explaining No
Dubliners- it should be the city name

While the title may include any city, village, town, etc. , the only word accepted in the title is "City"

message 4: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Sorry to be the first one to post. Does the city name have to be the city? ie: Bend, Oregon is a city, but can the title be Around the Bend--- using the city name in another way?

message 5: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Does the City have to be a real place? I am hoping to read Gone to Green which takes place in Green, LA. Does this work?

message 6: by Liz (last edited Aug 21, 2010 07:12PM) (new)

Liz City of Thieves
City of Bones (any in this series)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Rooftops of Tehran
Prisoner of Tehran: A Memoir
Mornings in Jenin? (not sure if Jenin is considered a city - some places it's referred to as a town & other places as a city)
Chasing Brooklyn? (if "Brooklyn" refers to a person's name instead of the actual city, does it count?)

message 8: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Two more suggestions:

The City of Ember
The Coalwood Way (Coalwood is a small town in southern West Virginia and it's where the events of the movie October Sky happened back in the 50s)

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7546 comments I love October Sky - Homer Hickam is an alumus of my college and i've had the privledge of meeting him several times (and I so can't spell tonight!)

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments If you like long books or family histories, look at Edward Rutherfurd's Sarum: The Novel of England (about Salisbury, England), London: The Novel, or New York. I haven't read the last of these, but Rutherfurd's writing is amazing and the stories draw you in. He almost writes it as if it's a collection of short stories, all intertwined by the generations as they pass. Highly, highly recommended (and I'm very tempted to read New York for this one).

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15712 comments Mod
I've had Reading Lolita in Tehran on my shelf for ages - this would be a great time to finally read it!

I read Richmond Noir for the summer challenge, for a book set in Virginia. I noticed that there's a whole batch of these "City Name Noir" books, with short stories all set in the particular city. I didn't make specific note of the names, but there were more than a dozen books with different city names.

message 12: by Dee (last edited Aug 21, 2010 07:39PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7546 comments The Bookseller of Kabul - Afghanistan...this one sounds interesting too, but I have mine picked...might use it in the also fits in category

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7546 comments I have reading Lolita in Tehran on my TBR as well!! too many choices!! lol!!

Sandy wrote: "I've had Reading Lolita in Tehran on my shelf for ages - this would be a great time to finally read it!

message 15: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) If I read it any slower than I am currently, Citizens of London: The Americans Who Stood with Britain in Its Darkest, Finest Hour will become eligible for my list. I started it 4 days ago and am only on chapter 2.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Caity wrote: "If I read it any slower than I am currently, Citizens of London: The Americans Who Stood with Britain in Its Darkest, Finest Hour will become eligible for my list. I started it 4 day..."

I've had books like that! lol

message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10898 comments Mod
I'm considering:
The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly -- Lincoln, Nebraska
Orlando by Virginia Woolf -- Orlando, FL
or Murder in the Charleston Manner by Patricia Sprinkle -- Charleston, South Carolina.

I swear, these are hard decisions!

message 18: by Aamir (last edited Aug 21, 2010 09:12PM) (new)

Aamir | 1 comments "Mornings in Jenin? (not sure if Jenin is considered a city - some places it's referred to as a town & other places as a city)"

Jenin is a city in Palestine - still under occupation, ofcourse. About 50 miles north of Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

The name "Mornings in Jenin" comes from a passage in the book where little Amal's father reads her a book every morning in the Jenin refugee camp. The book revolves around the life of Amal, a perpetual refugee of the middle east conflict.

Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier would work for this one too.

message 20: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments This is a hard one for me too! I have so many to choose from...
The House at Riverton - Kate Morton
The Monsters of Templeton - Lauren Groff
The Monster of Florence - Douglas Preston
Drop City - T.C. Boyle
Chronic City - Jonathan Lethem
The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster
The Twenty-Seventh City - Jonathan Franzen
Lost City Radio - Daniel Alarcon

message 21: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 31, 2010 03:53AM) (new)

Rachel Lee wrote: "Does the City have to be a real place? I am hoping to read Gone to Green which takes place in Green, LA. Does this work?"

OK
But if it is not obvious, please reference the city,state/country when you post

same is true for Does the city name have to be the city? ie: Bend, Oregon is a city, but can the title be Around the Bend--- using the city name in another way?

A post would be helpful for The Lincoln Lawyer because I think "president", before I think "Nebraska". If you state why it fits, I have no questions

message 22: by Dlmrose (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Winesburg, Ohio

and, would Dubliners work?"

Easy yes to Winesburg

Sorry, no, to Dubliners. It should be the city name.

message 23: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Liz wrote: "...A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Chasing Brooklyn? ..."

Brooklyn isn't a city. It is one of the five boroughs that make up New York City.

message 24: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Liz wrote: "Liz wrote: "...A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Chasing Brooklyn? ..."

Brooklyn isn't a city. It is one of the five boroughs that make up New York City."

Brooklyn, Iowa?

message 25: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Liz wrote: "Brooklyn isn't a city. It is one of the five boroughs that make up New York City."

Rhea wrote: "Brooklyn, Iowa?"

>grin< Of course! I forget that there are many many locations in the world that have the same name...

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz Well, I was definitely thinking Brooklyn NY, so thanks Liz for the bit of info about it being a borough-haha. It's always nice to learn something new. And Rhea, thanks for pointing out that it works in Iowa as well (& WI, PN . . . :)

message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

And one person's hamlet is another person's city- I'll refine it with "place name"

message 28: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Liz wrote: "Liz wrote: "Brooklyn isn't a city. It is one of the five boroughs that make up New York City."

Rhea wrote: "Brooklyn, Iowa?"

>grin< Of course! I forget that there are many many locations in the ..."

I actually didn't know about Brooklyn, NY not being a city in it's own right, and I really should since I live in New York.

Wikipedia has a good list of cities. I figure there has to be a 'The' somewhere, but I can't find it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of...

message 29: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 683 comments I'm thinking of going with Winter in Madrid by C.J. Sansom or Drop City by T.C. Boyle.

message 30: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (barbarava) Ms Anderson wrote: "If you like long books or family histories, look at Edward Rutherfurd's Sarum: The Novel of England (about Salisbury, England), London: The Novel, or [book:New York|605629..."

I Loved New York, I read it for the Summer, and Russka for Winter! Rutherford is the natural successor to Michener (my all-time favorite).

message 31: by Dlmrose (new)

Barbara wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "If you like long books or family histories, look at Edward Rutherfurd's Sarum: The Novel of England (about Salisbury, England), London: The Novel, or [..."

Please remember to add an explanation in your post if the reference is obscure, Sarum = historical name

message 32: by Usako (last edited Aug 23, 2010 10:38AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I came across this book by happenstance -- it was under the "people who viewed this book viewed" Section. It was published just this month and hasn't had a lot of reviews *BUT* I found it interesting! CHICAGO the musical!

The Girls of Murder City: Fame, Lust, and the Beautiful Killers who Inspired Chicago

message 33: by Liz (new)

Liz Tanja wrote: "I came across this book by happenstance -- it was under the "people who viewed this book viewed" Section. It was published just this month and hasn't had a lot of reviews *BUT* I found it interesti..."

That looks really interesting! I may have to use it too!

message 35: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Re Middlesex, in England, Middlesex is a county, not a city. There may, of course, be a City of Middlesex elsewhere in the world, but just thought I'd point that out ... :)

message 36: by Petra (new)

Petra In the book, Middlesex is a town in America.

message 37: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Huh, I thought that in the book Middlesex was the name of their house.

message 38: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Ah. I haven't read the book so I don't know ... though it is on my TBR shelf! I did google before I posted to see if there was anywhere else called Middlesex and nothing came up, but really I have no idea! So I'll just be quiet :)

message 39: by Terri (last edited Aug 24, 2010 06:57AM) (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments LOL, I just googled it again, and apparently there IS a town of Middlesex in Yates County, New York, so it would work! Sorry everyone!

message 40: by Deedee (last edited Aug 27, 2010 06:31AM) (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments And, to help everyone, there exists a town of Alexander, in the following states (the number is the USA Postal Zipcode for the city):

14005 ALEXANDER NY USA
28701 ALEXANDER NC USA
50420 ALEXANDER IA USA
58831 ALEXANDER ND USA
62601 ALEXANDER IL USA
67513 ALEXANDER KS USA
72002 ALEXANDER AR USA

Here's a searchable database of town names in America (returns the zipcode as well as town & state name)

http://www.zip-codes.com/search-optio...

just scroll down, look on left, the box "find zip of address", enter a word in the town/city box and click on "Search", the result will be all the city/towns in USA with that name (with the state it is located in, and the zipcode)

message 41: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2068 comments Ah-ha! For the Christmas-minded, there exists:

32709 Christmas FL USA
47579 Santa Claus IN USA
74567 Snow OK USA

message 42: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Lost City Radio -- Here's another good City book.

message 43: by TeresaFL (new)

TeresaFL | 96 comments Trying to find a spot for Big Cherry Holler. Can I use it here since where my family is from there are many a "holler" that are if nothing else villages.

message 44: by Dlmrose (new)

TeresaFL wrote: "Trying to find a spot for Big Cherry Holler. Can I use it here since where my family is from there are many a "holler" that are if nothing else villages."

"Holler" wouldn't work as "village" doesn't, but if the name of the community is "Big Cherry Holler" then it works- see post 21. It is hard to tell from the description.

message 45: by Jayalalita (new)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments Would Children of Pithiviers be all right? I have seen Pithiviers listed as a town, village, and municipality in different references, but the book description says "small town".

message 46: by Dlmrose (new)

Jayalalita wrote: "Would Children of Pithiviers be all right? I have seen Pithiviers listed as a town, village, and municipality in different references, but the book description says "small town"."

yes

message 47: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Found Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell on my shelves. Maybe I can even get double points for 2 cities! Just kidding. ;)

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Does Between, Georgia work? In the novel, Between is the name of the city. Thanks!

message 49: by Dlmrose (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Does Between, Georgia work? In the novel, Between is the name of the city. Thanks!"

yes, please include that when you post

message 50: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Does Between, Georgia work? In the novel, Between is the name of the city. Thanks!"

yes, please include that when you post"

I will, thank you!

« previous 1