The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.6- In The Pink

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 21, 2010 01:04AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17578 comments Mod
10.6 IN THE PINK-- October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Read a book with a pink cover. Helpful Posting Information: Include the link to the book cover when you post.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Sep 10, 2010 05:12PM) (new)

Books should appear at least half pink

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Beautiful and Damned (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) by F. Scott Fitzgerald Does this book have enough pink?

message 5: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Aug 21, 2010 02:16PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2975 comments Peaches (Peaches, #1) by Jodi Lynn Anderson Is this pink enough? or would this work?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2975 comments Would this work? Forever

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

The book cover should be at least half pink. The Beautiful and Damned (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) (Barnes & Noble Classics) by F. Scott Fitzgerald works, Forever by Judy Blume works

The Secrets of Peaches (Peaches, #2) by Jodi Lynn Anderson The Secrets of Peaches would work, but in comparison Peaches (Peaches, #1) by Jodi Lynn Anderson does not seem pink

message 8: by Cassandra (last edited Aug 21, 2010 05:44PM) (new)

Cassandra Books from my shelves that look pink to me. These aren't recommendations since I haven't read most of them. Apologies if some of them aren't actually pink.

The Duke And I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann Lysistrata by Aristophanes Five on a Treasure Island (The Famous Five, #1) by Enid Blyton The Seduction of an English Scoundrel (Boscastle, #1) by Jillian Hunter The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1) by Meg Cabot Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1) by Sophie Kinsella Ring (Book 1) by Koji Suzuki Beach Girls (Hubbard's Point / Black Hall series) by Luanne Rice Electra (Drama Classics) by Sophocles Pyramids (Discworld, #7) by Terry Pratchett Walking by Henry David Thoreau The Cat Who Went Bananas (Cat Who..., #27) by Lilian Jackson Braun The Princess Test (Princess Tales) by Gail Carson Levine Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great by Judy Blume Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Edit-
Listopia lists.
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/29...
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/49...
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/38...
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/52...

message 9: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2073 comments The pinkest book I have on my shelves is Sisters of the Raven (Aspect Fantasy) by Barbara Hambly

I usually avoid pink covers like the plague.

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 685 comments These look pink to me.
Listening Is an Act of Love by Dave Isay
A Mirror Garden (Vintage) by Monir Farmanfarmaian

message 11: by Leigh Ann (new)

message 12: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I'm using this one - The Sleeping Beauty (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #5) by Mercedes Lackey

message 13: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Another example of a pink book cover (and the book I am using):

Gather Together In My Name by Maya Angelou

And two more pink book covers, both books I considered:

Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3) by David Eddings The Eyes of God by John Marco

message 14: by Cait (new)

message 15: by Sandy (last edited Aug 21, 2010 07:22PM) (new)

Sandy | 15839 comments Mod
Tanja wrote: "I'm using this one - The Sleeping Beauty (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #5) by Mercedes Lackey"

I'm reading that right now for my fairy tale task - it's good!

message 16: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Sandy - I was going to read it for the fairy tale task but it isn't 400 pages and I have others to finish first.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15839 comments Mod
Tanja wrote: "Sandy - I was going to read it for the fairy tale task but it isn't 400 pages and I have others to finish first."

yep, I couldn't wait so I'm reading two books for the task. Anyway, so far, I think I like it the best of the Five Hundred kingdoms series.

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz Not sure if all of these work or not. I had a hard time telling if some were red, pink . . . ?

The Spellman Files (The Spellmans, #1) by Lisa Lutz PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli Persuasion by Jane Austen Sylvester by Georgette Heyer The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy The Gamble by LaVyrle Spencer A Breath of Fresh Air (Ballantine Reader's Circle) by Amulya Malladi

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Rhea wrote: "Books from my shelves that look pink to me. These aren't recommendations since I haven't read most of them. Apologies if some of them aren't actually pink.

The Duke And I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn[bookco..."

The covers shown all work

Be careful with the lists Not all books on these lists would work.

message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Coralie wrote: "The pinkest book I have on my shelves is Sisters of the Raven (Aspect Fantasy) by Barbara Hambly

I usually avoid pink covers like the plague."

It doesn't look pink here, but if you have a copy and it is pink- state that it is "pinker" than it looks

some pink titles for "non-pink" readers
The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth The Holy Sinner by Thomas Mann Propaganda by Jacques Ellul Silverfish by David Lapham Strip Jack (Inspector Rebus, #4) by Ian Rankin

message 21: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 22, 2010 05:43AM) (new)

Patricia wrote: "These look pink to me.
A Mirror Garden (Vintage) by Monir Farmanfarmaian"

Listening doesn't seem to be half pink- but if you have a copy and it is pink- state that is is pinker than it looks

message 22: by Beth (last edited Aug 22, 2010 09:39AM) (new)

Beth | 665 comments Can I get a ruling on Light on Snow by Anita Shreve ?

There are highlights and brushes of pail pink in the snow, which I think are easier to make out on the physical book on my shelf than on GR so I wasn't sure if it was obvious enough and wanted to get a mod opinion. Thanks. :)

message 23: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 685 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Patricia wrote: "These look pink to me.
A Mirror Garden (Vintage) by Monir Farmanfarmaian"

Listening doesn't seem to be half pink- but if you have a copy and it i..."

I'll probably use Listening for the short stories task anyway. Thanks!

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelmanwill) | 60 comments American Pastoral by Philip Roth
The Hakawati by Rabih Alameddine

How about either of these?

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7577 comments Open Country by Kaki Warner - this probably isn't pink enough, but figured i would ask anyways...

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

Beth F. wrote: "Can I get a ruling on Light on Snow by Anita Shreve?

There are highlights and brushes of pail pink in the snow, which I think are easier to make out on the physical book on my shelf than on GR ..."

yes

message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

Rachel at HomeBetweenPages wrote: "American Pastoral by Philip Roth
The Hakawati by Rabih Alameddine

How about either of these?"

yes

message 28: by Dlmrose (new)

Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "Open Country by Kaki Warner - this probably isn't pink enough, but figured i would ask anyways..."

Doesn't look to be half pink

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7577 comments yeah, i figured...but it was the try...i'll try to fit it in somewhere else

message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "yeah, i figured...but it was the try...i'll try to fit it in somewhere else"

It might fit 5.6- it is beautiful...

message 31: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments Is this pink enough? Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

message 32: by Dee (last edited Aug 22, 2010 11:47AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7577 comments yeah - i was going to use the first one for the beautiful...maybe use the second for a comfort read...i'm going through a huge historical western romance type binge for reading right now

or read the both of them for the flip the coin number of pages task

Dlmrose wrote: "Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "yeah, i figured...but it was the try...i'll try to fit it in somewhere else"

It might fit 5.6- it is beautiful..."

message 33: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan is the only pink book I own. Will it work? Please? :D

message 34: by Dlmrose (new)

Kelly wrote: "Is this pink enough? Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer"

I'm going to look for my copy- I'll get back to you

message 35: by Dlmrose (new)

Jennifer wrote: "The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan is the only pink book I own. Will it work? Please? :D"

yes

message 36: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) Dlmrose wrote: "yes"

Woot! Thanks!

message 37: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Does this work?
The Land of Mango Sunsets by Dorothea Benton Frank

message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Beth NC wrote: "Does this work?
The Land of Mango Sunsets by Dorothea Benton Frank"

It looks half pink here

message 39: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments As You Like It  by William Shakespeare
I assume this is OK - another one for people who apparently avoid pink?

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Walking by Henry David Thoreau in post 8 is pink, but is not 100 pages

message 41: by Carly (new)

Carly | 251 comments I think I am going to read Confessions of a Teen Sleuth by Chelsea Cain for this one. Its kind of a parody of Nancy Drew mysteries.

message 42: by Vicky (last edited Aug 23, 2010 07:39AM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 243 comments Would Next Summer by Hailey Abbott be pink enough? I'm really trying to squeeze in as many unread books off my bookshelf as possible!

message 43: by Dlmrose (new)

Carly wrote: "I think I am going to read Confessions of a Teen Sleuth by Chelsea Cain for this one. Its kind of a parody of Nancy Drew mysteries."
Other editions/Amazon show the cover much "pinker" OK
Confessions of a Teen Sleuth A Parody by Chelsea Cain

message 44: by Dlmrose (new)

Vicky wrote: "Would Next Summer by Hailey Abbott be pink enough? I'm really trying to squeeze in as many unread books off my bookshelf as possible!"

Yes

message 45: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Is this pink enough? Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer"

I'm going to look for my copy- I'll get back to you"

I can't apply the same standard to every book, so...

if you have a copy and it is pink- state that is is pinker than it looks

message 46: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments I actually don't have a copy yet, it is just on my "to read" list and it kind of appears pinkish. I actually have something else in mind that is quite obviously pink, so no worries!

Thanks!

message 47: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 107 comments Would The Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickham work?

message 48: by Dlmrose (new)

Alisha wrote: "Would The Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickham work?"

yes, the extra pink on the bottom makes it half pink

message 49: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 23, 2010 02:52PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls, #4) by Ally Carter (excellent series!) Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella Thwonk  by Joan Bauer You Wish by Mandy Hubbard Counterfeit Husband (Regency Romance) by Elizabeth Mansfield

message 50: by Dlmrose (new)

all quite pink

« previous 1 3