The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.5- The First Estate

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 22, 2010 07:02AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17838 comments Mod
10.5 THE FIRST ESTATE-- Read a book with a a significant character who is a religious leader/has a religious vocation: Ex. minister, priest, imam, rabbi, parson, abbott, monk, nun, prior, friar, priestess, lama, etc. Ex. Sacred Hearts, In the Bleak Midwinter, Dalai Lama: Man, Monk, Mystic, A Morbid Taste for Bones If the character is not clearly identified in the book description please identify the character when you post

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 23, 2010 03:31AM) (new)

Explaining yes
I'll define saints and biblical characters such as Abraham, and Noah as religious leaders.

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments One of my very favorite books is In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden. In fact, I may re-read it for this task as I haven't read it in several years. It is a quiet book, about a woman who becomes a nun in her middle age. But incredibly powerful to me. Not preachy and certainly doesn't require being at all religious to appreciate it. I highly recommend it!

message 5: by Nicki (last edited Aug 21, 2010 10:30AM) (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments Has anyone read Holy Fools? The blurb says the main character becomes a nun but it's not clear for how much of the book she's a nun or whether she would count as a truly religious figure.

message 6: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Would a book like The Song of Hannah: A Novel or Sarah count? Both are fictional books about famous women from Bible stories.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Would The Chosen One work?

message 8: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments What about The Preservationist?

message 9: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Priestess -- The Mists of Avalon
I think the Main Char is a Priestess -- The Fall of Atlantis
Priestess -- The Firebrand

Could a saint or religious figure count? For instance, a book about Queen Esther?

message 10: by Avigail (new)

Avigail (avigailr) I have a question for task 10.5 The First Estate: can I read the book about Pope Joan?
Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross

message 11: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments Avigail wrote: "I have a question for task 10.5 The First Estate: can I read the book about Pope Joan?
Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross"

I am pretty sure this should be ok but you have to wait for the mod's to approve. I really liked this and would try to fit it in somewhere if they don't allow it.

message 12: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments The Jan Karon books are really good- about Father Tim and the town of Mitford.

message 13: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 22, 2010 07:00AM) (new)

I'm going to refine the task with "must have a significant character who is a religious leader/has a religious vocation. If it is not clear in the book description, please identify the character when you post."

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Holy Fools, Pope Joan, Home to Holly Springs: The First of the Father Tim Novels all fit. I'll define saints and biblical characters such as Abraham, and Noah as religious leaders.

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments monks - The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16166 comments Mod
Here's a list of mysteries with clerical figures:
http://www.readersadvice.com/readadv/...

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Godless by Pete Hautman? The protagonist and his buddies create their own religion, so they'd be religious figures in that, right? *grin*

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelmanwill) | 60 comments Will Gilead work?

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Rachel at HomeBetweenPages wrote: "Will Gilead work?"

yes

message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "Godless by Pete Hautman? The protagonist and his buddies create their own religion, so they'd be religious figures in that, right? *grin*"

ya know, Ms Anderson...those Mitford books are pretty good...

It is hard to tell from that description, but if you read it and you feel that it fits the task, and you can explain it clearly when you post, then it works

message 21: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) I would like to read: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. Is good-humoured irreverence okay for this task?

message 22: by Patricia (last edited Aug 22, 2010 09:50AM) (new)

Patricia | 696 comments For those who read from the 1001 Books You Should Read Before You Die list, I thought the following book was entertaining:

The Nun by Denis Diderot

Elizabeth (Alaska) Patricia wrote: "For those who read from the 1001 Books You Should Read Before You Die list, the I thought the following book was entertaining:

The Nun by Denis Diderot"

Glad to hear that, Patricia. I had it on my list for another challenge, and am slipping it on this one.

message 24: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) I'm still not sure if either of my books count.

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Caity wrote: "I'm still not sure if either of my books count."

Yes

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I would like to read: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. Is good-humoured irreverence okay for this task?"

yes

message 27: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "Godless by Pete Hautman? The protagonist and his buddies create their own religion, so they'd be religious figures in that, right? *grin*"

ya know, Ms Anderson...th..."

It's okay. I'm not entirely sure it would count, so I'll move it to another task (and if it does work, I'll switch it back).

I'm sorry for being kind of a pain about this. I'm trying to find something that won't be "preachy" (and therefore cause me to throw the book against the wall) and appeals to my inner cynic. It's too bad I read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal for the Spring challenge. I'd use The Nun, but I'd have to either buy it or ILL it, and I'm not so excited about it that I'm willing to do either.

I may end up having to go the fantasy route and read a book about a priest/priestess/acolyte of a fictional religion. Or maybe a biography about Rasputin. Reading about a crazy, hypocritical holy man wouldn't be so bad, I guess.

message 28: by Liz (last edited Aug 22, 2010 10:24AM) (new)

Liz I am considering:
The Pillars of the Earth (a monk as an important character)
Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle (biography of an apostle)

message 29: by Dlmrose (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "Godless by Pete Hautman? The protagonist and his buddies create their own religion, so they'd be religious figures in that, right? *grin*"

ya know, ..."

see the list Sandy posted in message 16- there are lots of mysteries without a lot of theology

message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

Liz wrote: "I am considering:
The Pillars of the Earth (a monk as an important character)
Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle (biography of an apostle)"

monks work and Prior Philip is a major character

message 31: by Petra (new)

Petra Ms Anderson, The Sparrow should work for this task as Father Sandoz, a Jesuit monk, is a main character. It's not preachy at all and has a great story.

message 32: by Dlmrose (new)

Petra wrote: "Ms Anderson, The Sparrow should work for this task as Father Sandoz, a Jesuit monk, is a main character. It's not preachy at all and has a great story."

A good book (and it works)

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Petra wrote: "Ms Anderson, The Sparrow should work for this task as Father Sandoz, a Jesuit monk, is a main character. It's not preachy at all and has a great story."

I think I'll try this one. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone (and sorry again for being a pain)!

message 34: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I am glad you asked Ms Anderson because I hadn't found anything yet. I am a religious person, but I sometimes think reading about the holy and religious make me feel like the worst person in the world and I don't want something that preaches to me on how I should live my life either. So thank you for asking.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Let the Great World Spin. According to the description, the central character is "a radical young Irish monk". I have heard great things about this novel, but have not yet read it.

message 36: by Dlmrose (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Let the Great World Spin. According to the description, the central character is "a radical young Irish monk". I have heard great things about this novel, but have not yet read it."

Yes Excellent book
It is written as a series of interconnected stories. John Corrigan is a significant character.

message 37: by Dlmrose (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "Petra wrote: "Ms Anderson, The Sparrow should work for this task as Father Sandoz, a Jesuit monk, is a main character. It's not preachy at all and has a great story."

I think I'll t..."

Not a pain at all- and it is always better to ask

message 39: by Dlmrose (new)

Beth NC wrote: "Priestess of the Forest"
This edition Priestess of the Forest: A Druid Journey
has a description.
Yes

message 40: by Patricia (new)

message 41: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
Patricia wrote: "The Thorn Birds and the The Poisonwood Bible also work."

Good to know. If Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel García Márquez doesn't work out (although I think it will, there's a priest in it and he seems like a central character), I have a copy of The Poisonwood Bible and I've been wanting to read The Thorn Birds for forever (had it slotted into this challenge's virtual vacation, but I won't get to it).

message 42: by Liz (last edited Aug 22, 2010 10:30PM) (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) Does The Secret Magdalene work?

Thanks! :)

message 43: by Dlmrose (new)

Liz wrote: "Does The Secret Magdalene work?

Thanks! :)"

yes

message 44: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I used Lamb since I'm fairly certain any Queen Esther book isn't gonna fit the task :)

message 45: by Deedee (new)

message 46: by Dlmrose (new)

Deedee wrote: "Would non-fiction work? I'm thinking specifically about In the Land of Believers: An Outsider's Extraordinary Journey into the Heart of the Evangelical Church by [author:Gina Welch|..."

yes

message 47: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Don't forget The Innocence of Father Brown. Chesterton wrote a bunch of Father Brown stories, they are quick easy reading and relatively non-religious.

message 48: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Under the Banner of Heaven is a look at Mormonism.

message 49: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments I'm going to use The Testament of Gideon Mack for this task

message 50: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 640 comments A few of these look to be nonfiction. Am I correct in my assumption that nonfiction can be used?

« previous 1 3