The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.3-Freedom!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 23, 2010 09:19AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17848 comments Mod
10.3 FREEDOM!: The Emancipation Proclamation (Sept. 22, 1863) – Read a book related to any “emancipation” movement related to a social or legal condition – it could be American slavery, but it could also include South Africa, women’s rights, people rebelling against colonial powers, the Jedi knights trying to overthrow the empire, etc. Ex. Chains, On Account of Conspicuous Women: A Novel, The Long Song

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Would "Low-fat living : turn off the fat-makers, turn on the fat-burners for longevity, energy, weight loss, freedom from disease" by Robert K. Cooper work for this task?

message 5: by Dlmrose (new)

Sheila wrote: "Would "Low-fat living : turn off the fat-makers, turn on the fat-burners for longevity, energy, weight loss, freedom from disease" by Robert K. Cooper work for this task?"

Not really what I was looking for- it needs to be an emancipation movement related to a social or legal condition

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments OK, I'll find something else. Thanks

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments would The Binding Chair or, A Visit from the Foot Emancipation Society work - she is gaining freedom from the chinese society that results in her feet being bound

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "would The Binding Chair or, A Visit from the Foot Emancipation Society work - she is gaining freedom from the chinese society that results in her feet being bound"

yes

message 9: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) How well would Darfur Diaries: Stories of Survival work? It's a bunch of shorter stories about the people in Darfur.

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments How about In a Gilded Cage by Rhys Bowen? It is fiction but involved women's suffrage.

message 11: by Dlmrose (new)

Caity wrote: "How well would Darfur Diaries: Stories of Survival work? It's a bunch of shorter stories about the people in Darfur."

yes

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

Sheila wrote: "How about In a Gilded Cage by Rhys Bowen? It is fiction but involved women's suffrage."

yes

message 13: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Would "The Help" qualify? I need more book suggestions.

message 14: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I'm thinking of reading What Is the What for this task.

message 15: by Liz (last edited Aug 21, 2010 11:09PM) (new)

Liz Do either of the following work for this?
Dune
Queen in Exile
both seem to be about royalty who have been cast out of their land & then must go back to save their people from the tyranny of those who are ruling in their place

message 17: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Liz - Dune will DEFINITELY count!

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz So if Dune works, would Queen in Exile work? From the descriptions, it seems like both characters have the same goal: free their people from tyranny.

message 19: by Dlmrose (new)

Liz wrote: "So if Dune works, would Queen in Exile work? From the descriptions, it seems like both characters have the same goal: free their people from tyranny."

yes

message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Would "The Help" qualify? I need more book suggestions."

yes, civil rights

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz Thank you!

message 22: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Cool, now I just need to get the book back.

message 23: by Dlmrose (new)

Meghan wrote: "Do either of these books work?

Night World No. 1: Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness; Spellbinder
Uncle Tom's Cabin"

Uncle Tom's Cabin - yes
Night World- No

message 24: by Petra (new)

Petra Would The 19th Wife count as an account of persecution within a religious organization?

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Petra wrote: "Would The 19th Wife count as an account of persecution within a religious organization?"

yes- "crusade to end polygamy in the United States

message 26: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks!

message 27: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Hunter (jackiehunter) | 32 comments Would 1776 by Dave McCullough count? It's technically before the emancipation proclamation occurred but the U.S. was "emancipating" themselves from British rule.

message 28: by Dlmrose (new)

Hawkeye Jackie wrote: "Would 1776 by Dave McCullough count? It's technically before the emancipation proclamation occurred but the U.S. was "emancipating" themselves from British rule."

yes

message 29: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Sites that may have some books:

Freedom Lovers

Slavery

Amazon Emancipation Books

message 30: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Would Catching Fire and Mockingjay from Hunger Games series work?

message 31: by Dlmrose (new)

Beth NC wrote: "Would Catching Fire and Mockingjay from Hunger Games series work?"

yes to Catching Fire and Mockingjay

message 32: by Carly (new)

Carly | 260 comments Can I read A Girl Called Boy? Its about a girl who gets transported into the past and has to be a slave and (I think she tries to escape). This would be a reread and I haven't read it almost 20 years. I've been looking to reread it, but I am pretty sure that is what its about.

message 33: by Dlmrose (new)

Carly wrote: "Can I read A Girl Called Boy? Its about a girl who gets transported into the past and has to be a slave and (I think she tries to escape). This would be a reread and I haven't read ..."

yes

message 34: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments OK, if A Girl Called Boy works, then I hope, hope, Kindred will also work.

message 35: by Dlmrose (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "OK, if A Girl Called Boy works, then I hope, hope, Kindred will also work."

yes

message 36: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Cindy AL wrote: "OK, if A Girl Called Boy works, then I hope, hope, Kindred will also work."

yes"

Great, going to shuffle books again. I really want to read Kindred.

message 37: by Katie ATX (new)

Katie ATX (katieatx) Would House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allendale work? "The story details the life of the Trueba family, spanning four generations, and tracing the post-colonial social and political upheavals of the Latin American country they live in."

message 38: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16179 comments Mod
Beth NC wrote: " I really want to read Kindred..."

It's well worth reading! I enjoyed reading the story, but it also gave a lot to think about - we read this in our library book group, and they had to finally throw us out when the library was closing....

message 39: by Dlmrose (new)

Katie wrote: "Would House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allendale work? "The story details the life of the Trueba family, spanning four generations, and tracing the post-colonial social and political upheavals of t..."

Yes

message 40: by Jessica-L- (new)

Jessica-L- | 26 comments Would any of the books in the Sookie Stackhouse series (Dead Until Dark) be OK since the vampires are fighting for equal rights?

message 41: by Dlmrose (new)

Jessica Bpv wrote: "Would any of the books in the Sookie Stackhouse series (Dead Until Dark) be OK since the vampires are fighting for equal rights?"

Not really what we're looking for- if you have a specific book, I'll look at that one.

message 42: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 107 comments Since the sequels to The Hunger Games work, does the original one work? I'm not really too sure.

message 43: by Dlmrose (new)

Alisha wrote: "Since the sequels to The Hunger Games work, does the original one work? I'm not really too sure."

no- that element doesn't really appear until the 2nd book

message 44: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 107 comments Okay, and thanks for answering without spoilers. That was my biggest fear, lol.

message 45: by Branden (new)

Branden (cinefessions) Would The Killer Angels work?

message 46: by El (new)

El Branden wrote: "Would The Killer Angels work?"

I would say yes since it deals heavily with the slavery issue, but Dlmrose can weigh in with a real confirmation.

message 47: by Dlmrose (new)

Branden wrote: "Would The Killer Angels work?"

yes

message 48: by Penny (last edited Aug 26, 2010 06:09PM) (new)

Penny | 101 comments Do this count? I'm not sure.
The Color Purple, The Secret Life of Bees, Animal Farm, Their Eyes Were Watching God.

Edit: Keep up with all the HP, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix] they rebel against "the man" (The Ministry of Magic) and Prof. Umbrige with the DA.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Agaisnt He-How-Most-Not-be-Name.

message 49: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Penny, the HP book they rebel against Umbridge and the MoM in is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

message 50: by Dlmrose (new)

The Color Purple yes
The Secret Life of Bees, Their Eyes Were Watching God have themes of race, but not really emancipation
Animal Farm yes

« previous 1 3