The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

144 views
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 10.1- Shorter Days

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 21, 2010 12:58AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
10.1 SHORTER DAYS – Read a book of short stories, novellas, or essays. The book may be by a single author or an anthology. Ex. Selected Stories of O. Henry, Essays of E. B. White, Masterpieces: The Best Science Fiction of the 20th Century


If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.


message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Sep 10, 2010 05:11PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
books may be fiction -short stories, novellas or non-fiction-essays


message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
placeholder


message 4: by Usako (last edited Aug 21, 2010 07:51AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Would North American Indian Legends count since it's a collection of legends? Nevermind! I answered myself! Desc says collection of 92 stories. D'uh! But will keep the question here to add to the YES pile.


message 5: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Here's a list of short stories, including anthologies of short stories, novellas, and the like:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/22...


message 6: by Christine US (last edited Aug 22, 2010 06:34AM) (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Would this work? It's a book of 3 short stories by 3 different authors.

The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes by Jennifer Crusie
by Jennifer Crusie, Anne Stuart, Eileen Dreyer


message 7: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Will Ethan Frome & Selected Stories work for this task?


message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Christine US wrote: "Would this work? It's a book of 3 short stories by 3 different authors.

The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes by Jennifer Crusie
by Jennifer Crusie, Anne Stuart, Eileen Dreyer"


yes


message 9: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Meghan wrote: "Will Ethan Frome & Selected Stories work for this task?"

yes


message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz I plan to read Shirley Jackson's The Lottery and Other Stories. I've really been wanting an excuse to read this.
The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories is also very good.


message 11: by ColleenPA (new)

ColleenPA | 84 comments Two books by Banana Yoshimoto that I read for the Summer Challenge would work here: Kitchen and Asleep. I gave both of them 4*s.


Elizabeth (Alaska) Alice Munro
Jhumpa Lahiri

both write short stories which I have enjoyed immensely.


message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments I'm reading Zombies vs. Unicorns. The title makes me giggle every time I see it.


message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15898 comments Mod
Ms Anderson wrote: "I'm reading Zombies vs. Unicorns. The title makes me giggle every time I see it."

LOL - great title!


message 15: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments ...MS Anderson don't make me switch my book choice!! ZvU!!


message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Tanja wrote: "...MS Anderson don't make me switch my book choice!! ZvU!!"

Dooooo ittttttt! You know you want to~! *GRIN*


message 17: by ColleenPA (new)

ColleenPA | 84 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "I'm reading Zombies vs. Unicorns. The title makes me giggle every time I see it."

Sounds even better than Pirates vs. Ninjas! :-D


message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz Ms Anderson wrote: "I'm reading Zombies vs. Unicorns. The title makes me giggle every time I see it."

That looks hilarious, & there are some great authors in it too!


Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would a Chicken Soup for the Soul book work here?


message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Would a Chicken Soup for the Soul book work here?"

yes


message 21: by Usako (last edited Aug 23, 2010 07:44AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments *flails!!* Now I need to SHUFFLE my books again b/c I do want to read these NA Legends! :)

Aaaand I figured it out! :P


message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Tanja wrote: "*flails!!* Now I need to SHUFFLE my books again b/c I do want to read these NA Legends! :)

Aaaand I figured it out! :P"


Yay! *does a Unicorn Zombie dance*


message 23: by Penny (new)


message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Penny wrote: "Do this tow work? The Tales of Beedle the Bard or Nine Stories."

yes


message 25: by Penny (new)

Penny | 101 comments Thanks :).


message 26: by Asho (new)

Asho | 189 comments Nonfiction is okay, right? (I'm assuming so because it lists "essays" as an option.) I'd like to read Mama, Ph.D.: Women Write About Motherhood and Academic Life


message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Asho wrote: "Nonfiction is okay, right? (I'm assuming so because it lists "essays" as an option.) I'd like to read Mama, Ph.D.: Women Write About Motherhood and Academic Life"

non-fiction works


message 28: by TeresaFL (new)

TeresaFL | 96 comments Would a collection of Sherlock Holmes mysteries work? There's a collection that's available for the Kindle that I would like to read. Link


message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Hunter (jackiehunter) | 32 comments Will The Things They Carried work for this task?


message 30: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Hawkeye Jackie wrote: "Will The Things They Carried work for this task?"

yes The Things They Carried


message 31: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Would I, Robot work? It seems to be a collections of stories.


message 32: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Jennifer N. wrote: "Would I, Robot work? It seems to be a collections of stories."

Yes, it works


message 33: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Jennifer N. wrote: "Would I, Robot work? It seems to be a collections of stories."

Yes, it works"


Thanks for the quick answer!


message 34: by Kate (new)

Kate Cooley Hi,

Would a collection of poems, speeches and essays count? I'd like to read England my England edited by Gerry Hanson.

Thanks,

Kate.x.


message 35: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "Hi,

Would a collection of poems, speeches and essays count? I'd like to read England my England edited by Gerry Hanson.

Thanks,

Kate.x."


It works


Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Could someone help me locate a type of book? I would like to read stories in which it explains things like, how the leopard got his spots, etc.


message 37: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Could someone help me locate a type of book? I would like to read stories in which it explains things like, how the leopard got his spots, etc."

Were you looking for Just So Stories?


back to top