Karl and Clayton's Summer Book Club discussion

Discussion of Tocqueville's Discovery of America

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm starting this book today. I downloaded it to my Nook. I see it is a "lend me" book so I can loan it out when I am finished. Anyone interested in borrowing?

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 16 comments Is this the chosen book? I think I missed a message somewhere. I just finished Daniel Silva's "The Rembrandt Affair", which was a true page turner. Last week and this week's books are still on reserve at the library but Tocqueville's appears to be ready for transport. Has anyone read American Insurgents, American Patriots: The Revolution of the People?

message 3: by Alcush (new)

Alcush | 5 comments Love me some history, but I really don't enjoy books about history as a casual reading in large doses.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm really enjoying this book. Easy to read story of Tocqueville and his companion visiting America - learning a lot about France, England versus USA at that time (1831). The value is Tocqueville's insight into culture that applies today.

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 20 comments Maggie wrote: "I'm starting this book today. I downloaded it to my Nook. I see it is a "lend me" book so I can loan it out when I am finished. Anyone interested in borrowing?"
Do I need a nook to borrow it? If not, please I would love to borrow it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Colleen wrote: "Do I need a nook to ..."

I haven't used the "lend" feature before so I am learning as I go. My understanding is I can "lend" the digital copy to someone with a Nook or with another device with the Nook App - i.e., a computer, iPad, etc. Read more about it here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/free-...

Colleen - does that work for you?

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 16 comments Library just sent notice that it is available for pick up. So I will grab it this afternoon on my way home.

message 8: by Patty (new)

Patty | 6 comments I have read "Democracy in America , which is almost uncanny in its insight into the American character when we were a start-up nation. I cant wait to read Tocqueville again, waiting my turn at the library.

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 20 comments Yes, Maggie, I'd love to borrow it, thank you very much.

message 10: by Alsace (last edited Aug 23, 2010 08:58AM) (new)

Alsace | 2 comments Maggie wrote: "I'm starting this book today. I downloaded it to my Nook. I see it is a "lend me" book so I can loan it out when I am finished. Anyone interested in borrowing?"

I've just gotten a kindle on my phone. Will a nook book work on a kindle? If so, I would like to get in line to borrow it.

message 11: by Loren (new)

Loren | 1 comments Alsace wrote: "Maggie wrote: "I'm starting this book today. I downloaded it to my Nook. I see it is a "lend me" book so I can loan it out when I am finished. Anyone interested in borrowing?"

I've just gotten a..."

Not a chance - but you can find a cheap copy for your kindle on the amazon store or on project gutenburg

message 12: by Rich (new)

Rich (richcorbett) | 4 comments Maggie wrote: "I'm starting this book today. I downloaded it to my Nook. I see it is a "lend me" book so I can loan it out when I am finished. Anyone interested in borrowing?"
Maggie: although it's not a necessity that I read this (14 day borrow and you can only lend it ONCE), I wouldn't mind borrowing if for nothing more than to understand how the loaning and borrowing process works on the Nook. Let me know what you need from me so we can give this a try.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

To Alsace - A Nook book will not work on a Kindle. However, there is a Nook app that can be downloaded to a computer or other devices so the Nook book will work.

To Rich - true - a lend-able Nook book can only be lent once. Colleen volunteered first to be the tester. So far she just had one snag but was able to get the Nook book.

message 14: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 20 comments I'm just sitting down to start reading the book in question. First impressions of nook reader: love it, love it, love. Now on to the book (I'll post again later unless I have to work tonight). Thanks Maggie :)

message 15: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 20 comments well, I didn't get to read it as soon as I thought I would because the darned afternoon sun was too much; but now I've read the preface and chapter 1 and am finding it a very easy read and informative too.

as for the Nook reader, it's pretty nice.

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 20 comments Although it's not a quote but a supposition of Tocqueville's analysis in DIA, I like the following from chapter 3: habits and beliefs are more important in sustain liberty and freedom that are laws.

message 17: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 20 comments I've been doing a lot of work away from the computer so I didn't read much last night. But it's definitely a good read. Such braves guys to venture off on their own for two weeks into the forest and to take up with the native guides whom they must have known they were trusting with their lives. Hearty guys too since no real illness or injuries seems to ever stop them.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan | 16 comments Had a family emergency so I am just now picking it up.....anxious to get started.

message 19: by Juliane (new)

Juliane Kirk | 5 comments Have you noticed how many women have a million things to do and can't read as much as they would like?

message 20: by Patty (new)

Patty | 6 comments I am in awe of how well Tocqueville understood the American character, and of course he could not see how our innovative spirit that he speaks of has played out in the 21st century: however, he would not be suprised at our high tech inpatient society.

message 21: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 20 comments Patty wrote: "I am in awe of how well Tocqueville understood the American character, and of course he could not see how our innovative spirit that he speaks of has played out in the 21st century: however, he wou..."
it's amazing how much of what Tocqueville describes of our spirit is still with us; I've just finished reading the section on Boston and how local control works so much better than centralized and yet is a source of unity for our society--this is not being taught nowadays in schools...wish that teachers had a better grounding in history; give up the history channel go back to books please teachers

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 16 comments This is really an amazing book. I would like to read his Democracy in America after I finish this. The understanding he shows of the American spirit is one thing but the comparison between America and Europe is another. This should have been part of our history reading in junior high or high school.

message 23: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 20 comments Susan wrote: "This is really an amazing book. I would like to read his Democracy in America after I finish this. The understanding he shows of the American spirit is one thing but the comparison b..."
there's a really good podcast on cspan with the author of this book, i think it's on "Q&A"...