Jane Austen discussion

Book: Sense & Sensibility > Other Characters

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by valee (new)

valee In here we can talk about other secondary characters we loved about this book.

message 2: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
Lucy steele! Please can she back away from Elinor! But Anne is funny with her constant talk of fine Beaux !! :)
Willoughby - don't get me started! whether he loved Marianne or not , no excuse for his behaviour and about being money driven. And that other girl he abandoned!!
Sir John Middleton is funny and with Mrs Jennings too!!
Fanny is frustrating - her power over her husband!
But- really like Brandon - so sweet and a true romantic at heart! And he is patient for Marianne :)

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 115 comments Lucy Steele was vicious little cat! My goodness, she just kept on eating away on Elinor! It's awful. And Willoughby....I agree Soph! He was a cad. Plain and simple. (though, I must admit, Greg Wise was a nice looking one.)

message 4: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Haha urgh Lucy steele...
And yes urgh Willoughby... But yes. Not bad looking at all ;)

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 115 comments Haha. Wasn't Fanny horrible too!

message 6: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes!! ...... Grrr

message 7: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

What did we think of Mrs Jennings and Sir John Middleton?

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 115 comments OH! Don't get me started. Were they not ridiculous? I had to love Mrs. Jennings though, she really did care about the girls. She was sweet, but a meddler.

message 9: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments My opinion about Sir Middleton and Mrs Jennings is quite the same as Marianne. They get on my nerves just as any other intrusive person does.
They're not bad, they have a great heart but I simply can't stand them.

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Sep 21, 2012 12:55PM) (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) They are kind of annoying but good-hearted, and in fact kinder to Mrs Dashwood & daughters than their own brother! So their interference can be forgiven I think.

message 11: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I agree with the general opinion!
They are annoying and meddlers but there intentions are good and they are very sweet!

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments I agree with everyone who says Lucy Steele was annoying and awful - every time she kept eating away at Elinor with her words, I just wanted to slap her - I mean really, she'd already won! What was the point of torturing Elinor?

Willoughby = Cad :D Although I must say I didn't mind that so much as long as Brandon ended up with Marianne.

Fanny annoyed the hell out of me, just like Lucy. I hated that bit in the 1995 movie (was it in the book?) where they are talking about Marianne's misfortunes, and Fanny says "Miss Grey has fifty-thousand pounds, Marianne is virtually penniless" - and I was like, "Well, whose fault is that?"

Personally, the Middleton's never really bothered me, unless they (not realizing) spilled over from the gossipy and slightly annoying to the actually hurtful.

message 13: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Haha!! Love your comment about Fanny! Haha

And agree with what you say!

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "Haha!! Love your comment about Fanny! Haha

And agree with what you say!"

Thanks Soph! :D I was quite self-satisfied in my expression of my disgust with Fanny at that point - I'm looking back at my own comment and laughing! Goodness, I'm awful... :)

message 15: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Haha ;)

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) Very good point re Fanny! I get so angry with the way she treats her sister-in-law's...
(I do know it's not real but still!)

message 17: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I know!!!

message 18: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Awful!!

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Haha, I just watched the 1995 film again yesterday, and I kept noticing even more of those moments where Fanny is awful regarding their lack of fortune. I don't know about you guys, but in the film where she says "You see, my dear Mrs Dashwood, Edward is exactly the kind of compassionate person upon whom penniless women can prey." (Or something to that effect) I have pretty much the same reaction, I'm still thinking - ":P Your fault, not theirs."

message 20: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Becca wrote: "Haha, I just watched the 1995 film again yesterday, and I kept noticing even more of those moments where Fanny is awful regarding their lack of fortune. I don't know about you guys, but in the film..."

ikr!! i watched it recently and saw many moments!!
and i love when they mention the cottage and mrs D is like 'such kindness from someone we have never even met before' and john D looks very guilty, which he should be!

message 21: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 15, 2012 11:42AM) (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "Becca wrote: "Haha, I just watched the 1995 film again yesterday, and I kept noticing even more of those moments where Fanny is awful regarding their lack of fortune. I don't know about you guys, b..."

I think John was often on the verge of offering them some help, but it was always Fanny's fault that he didn't (mostly) - like when she stopped him inviting his sisters to their house in London. I bet she regretted inviting Lucy instead. I hate how Fanny says "A cottage, how charming, a little cottage is always very snug!" - I honestly just want to slap her.

But it is almost amusing how the two Mrs Dashwood's try to score points off each other, like when the elder Mrs Dashwood says "My Dear Edward, we can no longer trespass upon your sisters goodwill, we must leave as soon as possible." I always LOL at Fanny's face after that comment.

message 22: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes it's was under Fanny's influence!
And it was great the rivalry between them haha!!
And the way Marianne and Margret treated Fanny ;D hahaha

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Haha yes. is it just me, or are there other people who almost feel sorry for John, having to live with such a wife?

Hehe, yeah, the rivalry is amazingly amusing, as are Marianne and Margaret. I wish she had featured a little more in the novel, she was such a funny, sweet thing in the 95 adaption.

message 24: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Margaret is such a lovely character :)

And I do pity him a but yes, as it was the influence of his horrid wife that made him not do what he ought!

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Haha, but only a bit - he should have been morally stronger and able to see how much misery he and more specifically his wife was causing his family.

message 26: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes he should have, but with such a wife it would be hard!

message 27: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments :) Maybe... but still... grrrr!

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I don't pity him at all - a weak man who can't stand up to a cruel wife doesn't earn my good opinion... Esp. when it involves the treatment of his own sisters.

message 29: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Haha Sarah. You have a point though!

message 30: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments :) You are absolutely right Sarah - but I do still have just a smidgen of sympathy for him.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I am just this minute watching the '08 version - Mr Dashwood senior is about to die...

message 32: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

LOVE that version! My FAV S&S! Love Edward in that one and Elinor! (and all the other characters ;) )

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) It is wonderful! Watched the first episode yesterday and now watching the second... Marianne is just looking around the house with Willoughby!

message 34: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Oh... Tut Tut. No chaperone!!

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) :) It was so good *sigh*

message 36: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Fanny and John deserve each other. They are the same, their only concern is money and the people who has loads of it. The way they treated the the late Mr. Dashwood wife and children(John's blood!) is terribly sad. If I could push a paper in Fanny's mouth each type she spoke.

I honestly, do not see Miss Lucy Steele as treacherous, thank God she run off and marry Robert, that way Elinor could have Edward.

I do not know what to make of Mrs. Jennings. She reminds me of Mrs. Bennet. They are kind are heart but love to talk meaninglessly and share things that should never leave the four walls. Her daughter Charlotte seem to have her high spirits but her other daughter, Lady Middleton is reformed to elegant society. hehe, she and Lady Catherine de Bourgh can be friends. Charlotte husband, Mr. Palmer could not be bothered with much. I like him when he is not rude. I like that he ignores his talkative mother in law. Lady Middleton husband, John is a dear. He is a bit like Mrs Jennings but not so "out there." Something about him makes me remember Mr. Croft, haha.

Ah, Magaret. Her character is not developed in the book but she seemed like Marianne(I say that due to the description of her at the beginning of the book.)

message 37: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Fanny and John, appauling.... Fanny in particular!!

I am glad she was so horrid as that way Edward gets Elinor as you said :)

What you say is true - she is very much like Mrs Bennet.

I wish Margret was more developed as well!

message 38: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I will have a look. He was a great John Middleton!! He was very well cast and acted!

message 39: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I haven't yet!!