Jane Austen discussion

General questions & discussions > What's your favorite Austen book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by valee (new)

valee Let us know which of all Austen's book was your fav... If you haven't read them all, mention which ones have you read and which was your fav from those.

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ I love Pride and Prejudice....but ive only read that one, Emma and Sense & Sensibility.

message 3: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) My favorite is Pride and Prejudice, with Sense and Sensibility as a backup. Or Persuasion. The only one I don't really like is Northanger Abbey. I enjoy it while reading it and all, it just leaves me with an unsatisfied feeling at the end (if that makes any sense).

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) My favourite is Pride and Prejudice followed by Persuasion.

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine My favorites are: Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility in that order.

message 6: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) I have enjoyed all the Jane Austen novels I've read and my point of view has changed over the years. I think I've felt myself a devoted fan of Pride and Prejudice throughout my 20's but having recently read Persuasion (and now in my 30's) I have completely fallen in love with it. I read it a few months back and am already reading it again! There is something about Anne Elliot that strikes me, I identify with aspects of her temperament and well, I think I would be happy to have a friend of her! Who knows though, in re-reading these novels I may change my mind again...

message 7: by valee (new)

valee You're making me wanna read Persuasion next now,lol.

message 8: by ضحى (new)

ضحى الحداد (dhlola) i think sense and sensibility us the best though i haven't read it yet

message 9: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (Mariana-SB) | 8 comments Pride and Prejudice, then Persuasion, Northanger Abbey, loved Emma the second time, didn't like the ending of Mansfield Park, had a hard time finishing Sense and Sensibility.
Also read Lady Susan, and found it VERY entertaining.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi Persuasion, definitely! Wow it's incredible. But, of course, I haven't gotten to Emma yet but I don't think the power is quite there.

message 11: by Mariana (last edited Oct 06, 2010 07:35PM) (new)

Mariana (Mariana-SB) | 8 comments Emma is good the second time around. I hated Emma (the character) the first time lol.
But when you re-read it you do get to like her.

message 12: by valee (new)

valee I have not read Emma yet. I'm planning reading her other books first though. Can't wait to read Pride and Prejudice! Maybe we should read that one next, after Northanger Abbey.

message 13: by valee (new)

valee Okay, so far I have read Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey and while I loved them both I think Mansfield Park was better. But I guess it weight a lot the fact that Mansfield was 3 times longer so feelings were described and developed better. But both reas were amazing! Can't wait to see which ill be our November read,LOL.

message 14: by ضحى (new)

ضحى الحداد (dhlola) i read both pride ans prejudice and sense and sensibility .. well as i thought that sense and sensibility was waaaaayyy better than the other .. i will read emma soon

message 15: by valee (new)

valee You liked more sense and sensibility than pride and prejudice? Really? I think that's the first time I heard someone saying that! haha. I still have to read those too. Emma was good! But Mansfield Park was better!

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi I just finished reading Pride & Prejudice on my new Kindle. My first read was back in 1989! The book is just wonderful and I recommend it to all. I think it is the best of Austen. I still haven't read Emma and I'm currently stuck on Northanger Abbey. I can't get through it. I wasn't too crazy about Sense & Sensibility. I liked the movie, though!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Love Pride and Prejudice. I have read the book and also watched the movie so many times i can quote it.

message 18: by Michele (new)

Michele (myavino) | 5 comments My favorites are Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park.

message 19: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
Haha Michele - that is the case for me

But narrowing down would be...
P&P, Emma and NA :)
Do love S&S and persuasion as well.
Haven't yet read MP - next on my list.
I hope like it - I have heard mixed reviews...

message 20: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 158 comments Pride and Prejudice and Mansfield Park are my favorites

message 21: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

nice choices :)

message 22: by Devina (new)

Devina Dutta | 4 comments Pride and prejudice....ummm..idk..it really makes me laugh and feel positive...like life is a comedy and its just meant for having fun sometimes. i love the sarcastic narrative tone and hilarious dialogues! i have read all of her books so the proper sorting is...
1)p and p
2)northanger abbey
3) persuasion
4) Emma
5) s and s
5)mansfield park
:))

message 23: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice (beah_1297) | 1 comments My favourite is Pride and Prejudice :D and then Sense and Sensibility next but i've only read those two :(( I want to read the others!!!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely Pride and Prejudice. None of the other Jane Austen books I've read has come close to being as good as P&P. :)

message 25: by Anne (last edited Jul 19, 2012 12:48PM) (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 115 comments Pride and Prejudice and Emma are tied so far. (Although I loved the end of Sense and Sensibiblity.)

message 26: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Recommend Persuasion and Northanger Abbey (and Mansfield Park, but that takes a little longer to get into but worth it :) )

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 111 comments I think my order would be Persuasion, Emma, P&P, Northanger Abbey, S&S, Mansfield Park....

message 28: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Same Steph!! Finally got it sorted and it is exactly how yours goes!! :D

message 29: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Or maybe P&P having a very very very slight edge ... ;)

message 30: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Winslow (shannon_winslow) | 4 comments I've read them all more than once, and even my least favorite (MP) is better than reading almost anything else! Here's my list:
1) Pride and Prejudice (I'm truly fanatical about this)
2)Persuasion (a close and beloved 2nd)
3)Sense and Sensibility
4)Northanger Abbey (campy fun)
5)Emma (needs a good edit imo)
6)Mansfield Park

message 31: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I agree about that comment about MP!! Worth reading above other things!!

message 32: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I think that is why P&P has a very very very slight edge, it was my first :)

message 33: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Persuasion is good...
So you into Emma now?

message 34: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Oh I love their book!!!

message 35: by Julie (new)

Julie | 6 comments 1. Persuasion
2. Pride & Prejudice
3. Northanger Abbey

message 36: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Love those ones!!

P&P
Emma
NA
Persuasion
S&S
MP

I think. But I changes and 2 3 and 4 are interchangeable and very close!

message 37: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments I didn't comment this thread yet!
Well my ranking is:
1. Pride and Prejudice (hmmm, how original)
2. Emma
3. Persuasion/Sense and Sensibility (I can't put one above the other)
4. Mansfield Park
5. Norhtanger Abbey
6. The History of England
7. Lady Susan/The Watsons
8. Lesley Castle
9. Sanditon
10. Sir Charles Grandison

message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 111 comments Persuasion
Emma
NA
P&P
S&S
MP

message 39: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

nice orders both of you :)

mine changes. a lot ;)7

and there is nothing wrong with P&P being first ;)

and Persuasion is a great 1st choice!

message 40: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments I know it's quite obvious but no other novel make my heart beating like P&P does :-D
Today I was reading some reviews about P&P here on GR and I found some of them giving two or even one star!
Someone was brave enough to say that there's no point in a novel where nothing happens for hundreds of pages!!!
Ah! Can you believe it!

message 41: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I'm sorry!! How awful!! And untrue!! What do they mean nothing happens for ages!! Did they read the novel!?! How silly .... It is an amazing novel and a true piece of classical literature!

message 42: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments I didn't read throught the entire reviews... I prefered to avoid being harsh to other readers :-P
But they don't know what they're missing!

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) New member, first post :)

My favourite is P&P - nothing compares and I read it at least once every year... after that, Persuasion is my favourite, followed by S&S :)

message 44: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Welcome!! Lovely to have you here and can't wait to hear your views on everything Jane Austen :D

Pride and prejudice is really good... And so is persuasion!! And all the rest!! ;)

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I agree and thanks for the welcome! :)

message 46: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

welcome for the welcome ;)

message 47: by Maggie (new)

Maggie I've read them all, but Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion are tied for my favorite.

message 48: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Those tied with Emma and NA as well ;)

I think I need to give S&S another go though...

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) Soph wrote: "Those tied with Emma and NA as well ;)

I think I need to give S&S another go though..."

S&S is my third favourite :)

message 50: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I need to again. I love Brandon!!

« previous 1