Jane Austen discussion

The Movies > The Jane Austen Book Club (2007)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by valee (new)

valee Plot
Robin Swicord's adaptation of the novel The Jane Austen Book Club concerns a group of women and a man who meet regularly to discuss the works of the popular author, but soon discover their lives are playing out much like one of the author's fictional worlds. Among the members of the club are Sylvia (Amy Brenneman), a recent divorcée; Bernadette (Kathy Baker), who has decided to accept her advancing age; and Prudie (Emily Blunt), who feels guilty about her persistent fantasies of cheating on her loving husband.

Complete Cast Of The Jane Austen Book Club
Kathy Baker - Bernadette
Emily Blunt - Prudie
Hugh Dancy - Grigg
Lynn Redgrave - Sky
Marc Blucas - Dean
Parisa Fitz-Henley - Corinne
Nancy Travis - Cat
Maria Bello - Jocelyn
Amy Brenneman - Sylvia
Maggie Grace - Allegra
Jimmy Smits - Daniel
Kevin Zegers - Trey
Gwendoline Yeo - Dr. Samantha Yep

message 2: by valee (new)

valee I loved this movie. I thought it was a really sweet story. The other day I was out with my friends and this movie was on the restaurant's TV and I got Austen nostalgic all over again. LOL.

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I never saw the movie but read the book. It wasn't what I thought it would be, I didn't enjoy it very much.

message 4: by valee (new)

valee The movie is great. I don't know about the book. You should try the movie.

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine That's a good idea they may have improved on the book.

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 111 comments I have both read the book and watched the movie. I agree, with this one the movie is better then the book. I think the book spent too much time on all of the different relationships between the characters. There was some of that in the movie, but not as much.

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Winslow (shannon_winslow) | 4 comments I was dissatisfied with the book, especially the ending - just sort of ends without any resolution. Hollywood fixed that, though, wrapping the thing up so sweet and tight that it's almost funny. I much preferred the movie to the book.