Jane Austen discussion

Book: Persuasion > Anne Elliot & Captain Frederick Wentworth

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by valee (new)

valee What do you think of them?

message 2: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
They are so sweet together and so glad he forgave her and offered himself again! That letter - <3 they are a perfect couple :) and nice that both their dedication to each, even if not intentional, pays off in the end :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I am glad Anne was protected from the reality of the relationship of Louisa and Fredrick.
Other than that I squealed when it finally surfaced, and they got back together

message 4: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I am so with you!! Such a sweet couple!!

message 5: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Well put. Couldn't agree more! They are such a sweet couple having already fallen in love and been parted, different from the other stories!!
And Anne really is a feeling woman and you can't but pity her!!

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie They're my favorite couple, trumping even Elizabeth and Darcy :) I can't picture a sweeter pair

message 7: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

They are sweet!! :) and returning to rekindle the love 8 years later is amazing!!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I love them - my second favourite couple after Elizabeth & Darcy :) So sweet, and even better on the second read when you know how he's feeling throughout! Love the actor who plays him in the TV adaptation too :)

message 9: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I need to read it again!!!

He is great in the 07 one!! So good and they are a really sweet couple. Have you read any of Amanda Grange's diary series? Wentworth's is great!!

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments I watched the 07 screen version recently. It's good but I prefer the book ending. I love the scene in which Wentworth overheard the conversation between Anne and Harville!

message 11: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Oh same!! I wish that was in it...

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) Oh yes me too!

I've only read Amanda Grange's Darcy Diary - I need to get Wentworths!

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments "Colonel Brandon's Diary" an "Mr. Knigthley's Diary" by Amanda Grange are also very good reads!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I'm going to have to check them all out now :) thanks

message 15: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

All 6 are amazing!! Recommend them all!!

message 16: by Elif (new)

Elif | 9 comments At first I got so angry with Captain. He was so cold to Anne, while too interested in Henrietta and Louisa. I admit that Anne had broken his heart so he wanted to suffer her. But I couldn't believe that he was so blind to see she was suffering deeply and still loved him so much. But we see from his letter that he couldn't be sure whether she still had loved him or not. And that is not anormal for a man, so I had to forgive him :)

Waiting a woman who had given up him for eight years and a half is the most marvelous qualification of him. I see another Jane trick here. A captain who has a very qualified personality and is very handsome and rich enough, waits that woman so long! I'm sorry but it's very hard for me to believe it. :)

Also Anne is so good, qualified and goodlooking, I think they deserve each other. They are so cute together - unless Anne isn't the one in the 2007 version. :))

message 17: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Agree!! I was annoyed with Wentworth for a long time as well!!
But they are so made for each other! I like Anne 95 one and Wentworth 07 :)

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I need to see the 95 one now! :)

message 19: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

It's a good one! And Anne is wonderful in that!

message 20: by Elif (new)

Elif | 9 comments Yes, she is much more like Anne :))

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I've ordered it on Amazon :)

message 22: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yay!! Good old amazon!! My Christmas list is always my amazon wish list - you can get everything!

message 23: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments I don't know how Amazon works where you are, but the last time I ordered something on Amazon I get mad with the delivery... However, this is not the place to discuss about my problems with Amazon :-P

1995 Persuasion is that with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds? If it is, it's the first Persuasion screen adaptation I watced and I love it!

message 24: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Some things can take longer if they aren't directly from amazon, which is annoying!

Yes it is!! Loved it, but prefer 07 I think. I think that is due to Wentworth, Penry-Jones was great in my opinion!

message 25: by Sarah (last edited Sep 12, 2012 12:36PM) (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I went for free delivery so have to wait a few days longer, but wished I'd paid now as I'm impatient!

I love Amazon, buy nearly everything there.

Back to topic - I will report back with my verdict but Penry-Jones is just wonderful as Wentworth. Cute :)

message 26: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yeah... But such a good website!

Yes let us know! He is so handsome that man and suits Wentworth so well!!

message 27: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Steph wrote: "I think that Wentworth had the impression that Anne had been over him so therefore he was just trying to move on with his life hence spending much attention to Henrietta and Louisa which ended up j..."

I know what you mean, and I am glad he finally 'got over himself' and realised he still loved Anne. I think at the beginning he wished her a little pain, as payback for the pain she caused him...
but they are such a cute couple!

message 28: by Elif (new)

Elif | 9 comments I totally agree with you two... Eventually he managed us to forgive him by his amazing letter... :)) Well, he's a man at last :)

message 29: by Marren (last edited Nov 02, 2012 07:03PM) (new)

Marren | 764 comments Oh my goodness. I do not know how Anne could bear all those feelings she has inside and not say anything. I feel like she would explode. Well actually, I think I know how she did because I am doing it now. Anyways back to A&W. When that letter surfaced, I was so relieved, FINALLY! Eight years and they both loved each other the same or even more. At first, I kept saying oh come on Austen, let them say something I cannot take it but when that moment came it was perfect. Hope and love were their key. He came to Bath because of her and she did not know (she was in misery whilst she tried dodging that irritating William Eliot). Eight years separation, did not diminish that flame.

message 30: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes! Such suspense! But NOTHING can beat that letter!

I hated but loved the suspense at the same time! (recommend Amanda Grange's Wentworth's diary - you see Anne and Wentworth's courtship the eight years before the novel is set.)

message 31: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Would love to get that book but it may take awhile :(

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

At first, I thought Wentworth was a bit of an idiot, and I still don't like him very much. They are a cute couple, to be sure, but I just didn't feel the romance and charismatics of Darcy and Elizabeth's romance. I felt that most of the relationship relied on history, and since we don't know that history, the relationship seems unknowing and it feels like you really don't know any of the characters but Anne. We never really get to see Wentworth's personality until the letter, and it hardly made up for the rest of the book. Overall the book was rather disappointing compared to P&P.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I think I enjoyed it more on the second and third read than the first; because then you are aware of his feelings and inner turmoil etc.

message 34: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I want to re read it again, especially now I have read 'Capt. Wentworth's diary' which started when they first met and so we saw their courtship!

message 35: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 115 comments I totally disagree with you guys. I'm reading this book for the first time, (although I've seen movies) and my opinion of Captain Wentworth is completely opposite. I thought that he acted the part of the perfect gentleman. This is how I get it: (from his POV)
Anne threw him over. (no matter what the reason) He goes away, makes a fortune. Comes back. In this amount time, he has managed to (mostly) get over her. He is not rude or bitter towards this girl who broke his heart, (except for one small comment that he didn't intend for her to hear), he does, in fact, behave like a gentleman towards her as he does every other woman of his aquaintance. True, he does not beg her to accept him (again), he instead respects her decision and moves on. Okay, what am I missing that you guys are seeing? To me, that sounds like exactly what a gentleman would do.

message 36: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments I agree to a certain extent with you Anne. One must remember that Captain Wentworth was jilted by Anne several moons ago. If you have ever been jilted, you will know you will not be all smiles and charms with the one who jilted you. I did not have a problem with Captain W's behavior except one or two slight things.

message 37: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I do sort of see your point.
When I was reading I noticed times when Wentworth was not the gentleman really, towards Anne.
But then I could understand why. He was jilted by her, after she had before said yes! So, it is understandable almost. A few times he is a bit wrong to, but then that might be a matter of opinion.
And then at others you can see how he still cares for her, when he helps her with the annoying child etc (and then second half of the book of different any way ;) )
I did notice incidences, but they are understand able I guess!

message 38: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 115 comments Yeah.

message 39: by Carolyn (last edited Dec 28, 2012 08:41AM) (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments yeaaaaah after the whole Louisa thing although that love letter was THE BEST ive ever read lol :D it was almost like darcy's declaration of love in p and p

message 40: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Best love letter in literature! <3 so good!

message 41: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments ikr!!

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) One day, I'm going to frame that letter! ;)

message 43: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes!!

message 44: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (caroheartsbooks) | 272 comments lol

message 45: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Hehe, there was some person giving the letter online if you asked for it, in the handwriting of that period. However, I did not ask, now I am thinking about it I do not know why I did not, hmm. It was a facebook page but I cannot remember the name. I came across the letter in a picture form randomly.

I wonder if a couple in the same situation with Anne and Captain W would some parts of the letter as a reading at their wedding. hmmm

message 46: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

It would be wonderful to have it read out at the wedding! I would love a handwritten one... wow! that would be awesome!

message 47: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Indeed.

message 48: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments uh huh, she never got over letting him down. She must have been suffocating all those years.

message 49: by Marren (last edited Jan 28, 2013 07:15AM) (new)

Marren | 764 comments You are right that does not happen often, most cases one or both of the individuals move on to find new partners. They are are a lovely couple, their emotional connection is explosion. A love that was tested and tried and still survived. wow

message 50: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

It doesn't happen often but I feel so sorry for her having all that guilt!

« previous 1