Jane Austen discussion

Book: Persuasion > General thoughts about the book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by valee (new)

valee 'She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older - the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.' Anne Elliot seems to have given up on present happiness and has resigned herself to living off her memories. More than seven years earlier she complied with duty: persuaded to view the match as imprudent and improper, she broke off her engagement to a naval captain with neither fortune, ancestry, nor prospects. However, when peacetime arrives and brings the Navy home, and Anne encounters Captain Wentworth once more, she starts to believe in second chances. Persuasion celebrates romantic constancy in an era of turbulent change. Written as the Napoleonic Wars were ending, the novel examines how a woman can at once remain faithful to her past and still move forward into the future

What were your thoughts about this one? **Remember: We are only talking about the book.**

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Has any one started this yet?

message 3: by valee (new)

valee I'm about to. I just wanna finish the other books I'm reading so I can concentrate in it 100%. What about you?

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I haven't yet. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't behind everyone.

message 5: by Eilis (new)

Eilis | 1 comments This is my favourite Austen so always a treat to re-read.

message 6: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
I loved this one - nice to see it from a point of view of a love lost. Love how Wentworth can't ignore his feelings for long and how Anne won't be persuaded anymore :)
Very touching and totally enjoyed :)

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (sara_dixon) | 2 comments Persuasion written by the excellent Jane Austen is, in my opinion, her best novel. From the first page on until the last (especially the last) you gain a sense of how beautiful everything is and how you cannot help but covet to be Anne in the situation. Captain Wentworth is so dreamy and once you read the letter he wrote to Anne you can't help but archive it and post in on every single website imaginable (wait, maybe that's just me).
Read it. Read it. READ IT. YOU WILL LOVE IT.
If you liked Pride & Prejudice YOU WILL LOVE PERSUASION.

message 8: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

No - thats me too!
THAT LETTER :O <3 <3 <3

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara (sara_dixon) | 2 comments Really? I always thought it was just me and my odd obsession with everything Jane Austen. Glad it isn't only me. Isn't that letter just soooo perfect?

message 10: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Don't talk to me about bein obsesed with JA ;) seriously obsessed ;)
and it is sooo perfect! *swoon* <3

message 11: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 158 comments I love the letter and think it is one of the most beautiful love letters ever written.I'm rereading it right now and love how it ends.Everyone Happily Ever After.I love that about Austen no sad endings.

message 12: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes all the books end like that - how it should be!!

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 111 comments Ok so I am just starting this book. I have tried to read in the past and just never got into it. I will give it another try. I can't wait to see if I can finish it this time.

message 14: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Oh I hope you do finish! It is definately worth it!!! Let me know how you get on :D

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 111 comments So I finished it. The letter that Wentworth wrote was swoonable. I am glad that I was able to push through and finish it. Now I think I am off to Northanger Abbey.

message 16: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes!! The letter is stunningly romantic and I am glad you finished it!
Enjoy NA - really funny how she impersonates the gothic style!! Let me know how it goes :D

message 17: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1 comments I love this book. I think it's my favorite JA novel.

message 18: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

It's great!! Your favourite? It's high oh my list!!
I love the letter and the story between them!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) It is my second favourite :)

message 20: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

It's so good!!

message 21: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments You know, I have overlooked this book. I am glad I decided to reread Austen. This book is fascinating. Plot development is striking. Austen keeps you on your toes with Anne and Captain Wentworth's relationship. The novels scenes shifted so beautifully. I do not know about you but I wanted to be at Lyme. I love books and I love movies dearly and I could just picture the settings so easily for Persuasion. There is humour in there( I told Mary Eliot to shut up so many times),great insights into family relationships (who mattered and who did not).

message 22: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I look forward to re reading this. I agree with you! There are many levels to the novel and it is a great and more serious but still with the humour!

message 23: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Indeed, I am having a delicious time rereading...

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) Glad you're enjoying it Marren... I've been to Lyme, it's lovely! :)

message 25: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I am looking forward to rereading!

message 26: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments ohhhh Sarah, you are fortunate. I guess in your neck of the woods you can do Austen and then take a field trip... that would have been cool...

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) Yes I've been on a JA trip, and visit Bath regularly. I always buy something in the JA gift shop there & visit the Pump Room :)

message 28: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I can't wait to go to bath!!

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) Make sure you go to the Pump Room when you do :) And the JA centre of course:)

message 30: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

yes! cannot wait!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't think it was quite as good as P&P, and I was a bit disappointed. That's what you get for reading what I hear is the best one first I suppose. The beginning was dry and I was practically falling asleep. I don't believe there was enough discourse and conversation and it was rather disappointing to be limited to Anne's POV. However, it was still a charming read and apparently, when I took the test, I would be best matched up with Captain Wentworth. The ending was more profitable than the beginning, and I found it to almost make up for the horrid beginning. Overall it was four and a half stars. I'm planning on either reading Emma or Sense and Sensibility next. Please advise.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I prefer S&S over Emma, so I would recommend Emma first :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Sarah (Louise). Do you prefer Sarah or Louise or the whole deal?

message 34: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I would say.... Either! I think Emma is more fun!

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I don't mind... I'm called Sarah by my friends :)

message 36: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Anyone ever wonder why Mr. Elliot did not fancy Elizabeth on his second return. Why Anne? Was it just for the drama or did he liked her even if he was a Baronet digger?

message 37: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Interesting question. I don't know is the answer. Maybe given the choice of the two, even though he wanted the baronetcy he wasn't lost to all sense and could see that Anne was the better choice. ??

message 38: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments ha, that is food for thought. Mr. Elliot would still be a Baronet when Sir Walter dies, providing he(Sir Walter) does not remarry to get an heir...notice how he was seizing Anne in Lyme. At the time he did not know who Anne was but he was checking her out, Wentworth became on edge :D. hmmm

message 39: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

It's true, he was 'checking her out' or was that because he partly recognised her a bit?
But yes bless him, Wentworth got a bit Jealous!! ;D

message 40: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments I don't think so, remember it was Elizabeth and Sir Walter he communicated with before. Unless he saw a faint resemblance in Anne but he did not notice Mary.hmm, it seem Mr. Elliot may have just liked what he saw in Anne :)

message 41: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Interesting!! Very true. Well there we go, maybe a solution to the problem!

Marren, interested in your thoughts on a question I posted in the thread general thought about the book (Sense and Sensibility). Thanks :)

message 42: by Marren (last edited Nov 08, 2012 09:25AM) (new)

Marren | 764 comments Ha indeed, It would be good to hear what the are thing. Get some discussion going.

message 43: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yeah! Some of the members haven't been on for a while :( any discussions or questions post them or create a thread :)

message 44: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments okie dokies

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) Marren wrote: "Anyone ever wonder why Mr. Elliot did not fancy Elizabeth on his second return. Why Anne? Was it just for the drama or did he liked her even if he was a Baronet digger?"

Given the choice, having read about their different characters, which would you choose? :)

message 46: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Thats what I said haha ;) Anne or Elizabeth... Not a hard choice! ;D

message 47: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Sarah, if I was Mr. Elliot, I would choose Anne, no doubts about it. Sarah is right, it is not a hard choice. Elizabeth is a woman of beauty with little substance. Anne is lovely, compassionate, caring, a little to patient with nutty people though :D.

message 48: by Kim BookGirl (new)

Kim BookGirl | 15 comments Marren wrote: "Sarah, if I was Mr. Elliot, I would choose Anne, no doubts about it. Sarah is right, it is not a hard choice. Elizabeth is a woman of beauty with little substance. Anne is lovely, compassionate, ca..."

That and she was perhaps more of a challenge not being so shallow and easily impressed as Elizabeth.

message 49: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments True Kim

message 50: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

You 2 said it!

« previous 1 3