Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > News of the day

Comments Showing 1-50 of 3,317 (3317 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 66 67

message 1: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments that is a surprise! why did you move to canada?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Vancouver is a wonderful place.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Surprising indeed.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Wow! What a surprise. Bienvenue a Canada!

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10826 comments You're gonna start talking funny, Gabby. ;)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh ya hey, watch out der Gabby!

message 7: by Phil (last edited Aug 17, 2010 07:22AM) (new)

Phil | 11704 comments Jim "In dreams we enter a world entirely our own" wrote: "Oh ya hey, watch out der Gabby!"

Nobody anywhere near Vancouver sounds like that.

And if Newt or Sarah ever become president of the U.S., I'll be applying for citizenship to be Gabby's next-door neighbor.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

RA, what is going on in your Piggly Wiggly grocery store? You didn't get mad at some lady for haven't too many items in the 10 items or less lane did you?

I will try to find a link, just heard it on the radio.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What the hell are you talking about, Jimmy? I don't go to Piggly Wiggly, anyway, I go to the Pick N Save across the street. Did a fight break out at the Pig? Heh.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, some lady had 30+ items and went to check out. She asked the lady in the 10 or less aisle if she could check out there since there was no one else in line. She got permission and started checking out. As luck would have it, a guy came to check out and seeing how many items she had started to berate her. So she called 911 and the police came. The guy ended up being arrested and the policeman that took him in said that he was calling her names that I had never heard in my 20+ years on the job. I was just hoping that you hadn't lost it when you saw the Cubs had a 2 game winning streak. :-)

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments People seem to take that 10-item rule awfully seriously.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Which Piggly Wiggly, Jim? The Saukville one? If that's the location I can totally visualize it...the 10 item or fewer aisle is actually a counter. It'll be in the local paper, for sure, if it's the Saukville one.

Cubs lost last night, so all is well with the world:)

By the way, grammar people, shouldn't the sign read "10 items or fewer"? I think David Foster Wallace mentions that in one of his essays.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

It said the Port Washington one on the radio.

message 15: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 18, 2010 08:29AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Just another day at the supermarket, Barb.

In general, I don't enjoy shopping--for food, clothes, books, etc. The hassle of stores bothers me, and I usually have a careful game plan in mind for how to go in, get the items I need, and get out as quickly as possible. The only exception: hardware stores, where I tend to linger and dream up (mostly unnecessary) home improvement projects.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "Cubs lost last night, so all is well with the world:)"

Same old same old for them. Truly a lost season.

message 17: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11704 comments While driving back to Utah on Monday, I stopped at a Jack-in-the-Box somewhere north of Barstow. There was a man there (with his wife and odd looking son) who was very upset about something (I think he wanted more ice -- the machine was broken and they had to get it from the freezer in back).

Anyway...

This guy started yelling at the manager when he brought the ice, then he loudly proclaimed the manager to be a jerk. The manager told him he was sorry he felt that way, and he went to the register to refund the guy's money. As he was doing that, the guy yelled to everyone in the place, "hey, you all should know that this guy is an ASSHOLE! He's a total asshole. What a fucking asshole!"

I really wanted to say, "yes, it's quite evident there's an asshole in this store," but I wasn't in a fighting mood.

When he was done yelling, he went outside, then opened the door and threw his cup full of (whatever liquid it was) back inside. It hit a leather wearing motorcyclist, who followed the jerk outside to settle up. The jerk got in his car and drove away, the manager called the police to give them the license number, and the motorcyclist called a friend. Maybe to have them go kick the guy's ass?

When it settled down, I looked around and counted nine children under the age of 10 in the store. Yes, that man was a shining example of humanity for those youngsters.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Jim "In dreams we enter a world entirely our own" wrote: "It said the Port Washington one on the radio."

There isn't a Piggly Wiggly in Port Washington. There's one in Saukville. Everyone gets the two confused anyway...

message 19: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 18, 2010 11:59AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yep, Saukville! Here we go!

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/100...

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10826 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Yep, Saukville! Here we go!

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/100..."

Good LORD! What a dum-dum...

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Sleep...

oh geez. if my wife reads this she will not shut up about how i should love her this much. i am thinking that maybe i should show this to her and then occasionally just go comatose in my chair and then say i was paralyzed into a nap because i love her so much

message 22: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Gabby, I was so happy to read about your move. While I was out of town, I saw the flooding in Pakistan on TV and thought about you and hoped you were safe. Do you have any family that has been impacted by the flooding?

message 23: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11704 comments RA's Piggly Wiggly got a full minute of fame on HLN this morning. The always perky Robin Meade was astounded by the behavior demonstrated by the man who was fined.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/...

do you think this is embarrassing at all for the bloomington SWAT team / police dept?

officer: uh chief...i..uh...got some bad news...
chief: what is it smith?
officer: you know that huge black van truck that said SWAT on it that we used to have?
chief: what do you mean "used to have" ?

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Phil wrote: "RA's Piggly Wiggly got a full minute of fame on HLN this morning. The always perky Robin Meade was astounded by the behavior demonstrated by the man who was fined."

Dammit! I missed it! And I love Robin Meade...

message 26: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11704 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/...

do you think this is embarrassing at all for the bloomington SWAT team / police dept?

officer: uh chief...i....."

The person who wrote that, and the editor who approved it, should both be sacked.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments dunno about that but i thought the whole idea of the police SWAT van being stolen was a hoot

message 28: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 79 comments Congrats or commiserations to all the kids in England and Wales who've received their A Level results today. My son hasn't done as well as he'd hoped, but he wasn't going straight on to university in any case.

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24393 comments Mod
Man, this may be the weirdest death I've ever heard of.

Coroner: California doctor suffocated in chimney

The Associated Press
Wednesday, September 1, 2010; 8:02 PM

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- A doctor whose decomposing body was found in a narrow chimney suffocated after she tried to get into the home of her boyfriend, authorities said Wednesday.

The body of Dr. Jacquelyn Kotarac was found Saturday - three days after she slid feet first down the chimney of the Bakersfield home, police said.

"The pressure being placed on the chest wouldn't allow her lungs to expand and she suffocated," Kern County sheriff-coroner spokesman Ray Pruitt said after an autopsy.

The coroner's office also ruled the death was accidental. Foul play was not suspected.

Police said Kotarac, a 49-year-old internist, wanted to confront the man with whom she had an "on-again, off-again" relationship.

Her corpse was discovered when a house-sitter noticed an odor coming from the fireplace. People in the home had noticed nothing until then, police said.

Kotarac was reported missing Thursday when she failed to show up for work, Bakersfield police Sgt. Mary DeGeare said.

The night before, she tried to get into the house with a shovel then climbed a ladder to the roof, removed the chimney cap and slid down. police said.

Meanwhile, the man she sought left unnoticed to avoid a confrontation and slept elsewhere that night, authorities said.

Firefighters spent five hours tearing up the chimney to extract the body that was wedged about two feet above the top of the interior fireplace opening.

message 30: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 79 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Man, this may be the weirdest death I've ever heard of.

Coroner: California doctor suffocated in chimney ..."

I'm sure this has been in an episode of CSI...

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I heard she was an astronaut and drove across the country wearing a diaper. Oh wait ....

message 32: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09...

wow! Oprah is going to go out with a bang!

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments That is big!

message 34: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11704 comments Why should I care... bitch didn't invite ME to her show.

message 35: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

The audience of "carefully-picked super-fans"....yeah, I bet. I'm sure everyone in that audience had to be a subscriber to O magazine and sign a form saying Oprah was better than God and then donate 10 pints of blood for the next time she stubs her toe and then prostrate themselves weeping on the floor in front of her and not move for 18 hours and promise all their internal organs to her.

message 36: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11704 comments Gosh, you make Oprah sound a lot like EST.

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I just watched the video and, wow, being a billionaire really gives some people a God complex.

What would the audience reaction have been if she was rocketing them all into space? Just for a week....to the space station and back. Cheers and tears? Or crapping their pants?

message 38: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments Look out, Gail! You've been warned.

message 39: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments It's Oprah's world. We only live in it.

message 40: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) My brother says Oprah is one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Her, that insider-trading crafty woman, Hillary and someone else I never can remember.

I like Hills. Well, maybe "like" is the wrong word. I have respect for her in a lot of ways. The other two...he may have a point.

If I see that Oprah mark on a book, I put it back down. However, if I was forced to pick between her and the other one (what is her name? I keep thinking...M.), I'd pick Oprah. She's annoying and likes to be worshipped, but she's nice to her dogs and donates stuff and she's less evil looking than the ex-con.

message 41: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Martha! Martha Stewart! Her. Scary...

message 42: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) She scares me. Creepy.

What talking dog?

message 43: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Well, I didn't take it personally, as I don't care for two of the three, at all.

I think it's just that he leans more to the "respecting Sarah Palin" side of things. Not that he has no respect for successful women, just not THOSE women.

I would say that in the realm of successful women on either side of the liberal/conservative spectrum, Oprah and Martha are not exactly the two I would have the most respect for...personally.

message 44: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) In fact, being in the financial industry and knowing that she knew exactly what she was doing, and knew what it would do to others who didn't have her inside information and didn't care...I have no respect for Martha Stewart.

Before you start with the, "How do you know what she knew?" business. She was a stock broker. I am fully licensed as a stock broker. She could not have been a stock broker without knowing what insider trading was, that it was illegal and what the ramifications would be to other investors.

message 45: by Meels (last edited Sep 14, 2010 11:45AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Oh, no, Barb...not just you. I just know that I can sometimes attract arguments like magnets when people round here think I'm being all conservative 'n' junk. Though, I have to admit, I may have something akin to battered wife syndrome, or some kind of PTSD because things don't seem to be quite as...uh...volutile these days. Which is one of the main reasons I took a little hiatus anyway, so... Yeah, ignore me.

message 46: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Amelia wrote: "so... Yeah, ignore me. "

::turns back to Amelia::

message 47: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Jim, are you being contrary?

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Either that or he's contra dancing.

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Moi?

message 50: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I put the book back on the shelf when I see the Oprah sticker too.

And I do like Martha Stewart, but she knew exactly what she was doing. She used to be A STOCKBROKER. She altered a record and then lied about it. Now maybe not everyone who does that is sentenced to prison, but she knew she could be sentenced to prison if caught and she did it anyway.

But you know, I like the way she held her head up high in prison, made prison friends, baked for them, came out and kept on doing her thing. I like the way she's tough....like Hillary Clinton. Both of those women have no tolerance for B.S. and I like that about them.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 66 67