Book Haven discussion

Historical Romance > Ugly Duckling Syndrome...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
I don't know about anyone else, but one of my favorite theme's is when a character is an "ugly duckling", and is then transformed into a "beautiful swan". I especially love it when the hero is completely shocked by the transformation. hahaha
Does anyone know of any great books with this theme?

message 2: by Em (last edited Aug 17, 2010 08:37PM) (new)

Em (emily27) | 55 comments Not an historical romance, but Desert Rain by Elizabeth Lowell is about a plain jane who turns into a model- the hero is also very shocked by the transformation. Its one of my favorites- pretty steamy too :)

message 3: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
A book I LOVED that featured the "Ugly Duckling Syndrome" was Duke Most Wanted by Celeste Bradley. I'm not very fond of the first two books in the series, but I LOVED this one!

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments Ugly Duckling by Iris Johanson is another good one.

message 5: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments Emily wrote: "Ugly Duckling by Iris Johanson is another good one."

i loved that book.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments Sonya wrote: "Emily wrote: "Ugly Duckling by Iris Johanson is another good one."

i loved that book."

Me to, one of my favorites.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) I enjoyed this one. Diary of an Ugly Duckling

message 8: by L.Y. (new)

L.Y. Levand (lylevand) It's not exactly a historical romance, but Beauty, by Robin McKinley, has a similar theme. It's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, and Beauty is the main character's nickname, though she's not, at first, even pretty.

message 9: by Samm (last edited Jan 15, 2013 12:02PM) (new)

Samm (ashmanrose) Seeking Persephone by Sarah M. Eden
This is kind of like a Beauty and the Beast theme that takes place in the early 1800s in England. I liked it because it was so relatable. No ones looks are perfect and even if they are, they don't last. It's all about personality.

I also liked Melanie Dickerson's retelling of Beauty and the Beast called The Merchant's Daughter. This one has more of a Christian theme unlike McKinley's retellings, which are more about strong feminine characters.