Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > John Ajvide Lindqvist

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 17 comments Has anyone read Handling the Undead? This is the author of Let The Right One In. I saw on Amazon that it is about to be released in softback and on Kindle. Love zombies-- hate bad translations. Does anyone know how this one is?

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm sort of burned out on zombies at the moment, but I'll give this one a shot just because of Let the Right One In.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 17 comments I'm having no luck finding an old copy so will have to wait for the rerelease... waiting...waiting....

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tardolf) | 28 comments I was able to get a copy through interlibrary loan after submitting it a few times. It is not as good as LTROI, IMO, but was an enjoyable read.

message 5: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i read 'let the right one in,' a few months back...I absolutely adored it, there's just something about his prose that is simple, yet elegant in a divine sort of way. he's very matter of fact and maybe even obsequious, but I loved the story, bizarre coming of age tale, the whole sexuality thing was extremely interesting, yet not overdone, or put in for shock value. i loved it!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Should i read the book or watch the movie first I've heard good things about both.

message 7: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments amanda, i would read the book first, there is a lot more detail than the movie, and if you read if first you will go into blind, and will appreciate the surprises more...either way, they are both superior works of art and i think you will like them both a lot, i think with any movie/book combo, always go with the book first, and then watch the movie, hope you enjoy it as much as i did!

message 8: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments it first***

message 9: by Bandit (last edited Nov 23, 2010 08:06AM) (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Handling The Undead looks amazing, can't wait for the budget friendly paperback edition.

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Bandit, I read Handling the Undead and thought it was OK. Not brilliant like Let the Right One In, though. He does put an emotional face on the zombie genre. One of the storylines was wonderful, though. The one about the grandfather and his dead grandson. Very difficult for me to read because I have a boy I love more than life itself.

message 11: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Thanks for the feedback, Tressa, that certainly makes waiting for the paperback easier...although, I'd imagine just ok from a good writer is still better that pretty good from a dud, especially with zombie fiction flooding the market the way it's been

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Maybe it's better than OK for most readers, hopefully you'll think that, too. Maybe I was just anticipating more since he handled vampires so well.

message 13: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 219 comments i already posted this basically, but ill say it again: 'Let The Right One In' captivated me, and it such an unusual blend of genres, and I just loved it in a way it's hard for me to recommend, but I would most definitely just tell anyone to read it...I thoroughly enjoyed it. And again, I am a book buying fiend, so I purchased 'Handling The Undead' from Barnes & Noble, but because I have soooo many books, have not gotten around to reading it, I plan on reading it sometime this winter, if anyone wants to read it with me sometime soon, please PM me or let me know, I would be more than happy to read it with someone...

message 14: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6543 comments "Let The Right One In" was a phenomenal book. I am not big into zombies so I haven't picked up "Handling the Undead". But, I did see it on the shelf at a used bookstore the other day.

I saw both the Norwegian and US film versions of "Let The Right One In". I watched them back to back one night. I liked them both. They both seriously tone down the pedophilic undertones in the book.

message 15: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1918 comments Ken wrote: ""Let The Right One In" was a phenomenal book. I am not big into zombies so I haven't picked up "Handling the Undead". But, I did see it on the shelf at a used bookstore the other day.

I saw both t..."

I noticed that too. In the book, Eli definitely uses him and that aspect of his life to his/it/her advantage. I am almost done with Let Me In by John Ajvide Lindqvist and almost pulled an alnighter trying to read through... (aahhh, the good old days)

message 16: by Patrick (last edited Nov 13, 2011 11:47AM) (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 83 comments I really like the Let the Right One In, very detailed and through and at the same time, really respects the vampire genre. Handling the Undead was okay, it makes zombies more sadder, not scary like the others in the zombies genre.

message 17: by Earline (new)

Earline Beebe (scificricket) | 6 comments Thank you for letting me know about Itsy Bitsy, I just downloaded it from Amazon.

message 18: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I loved Let the Right One In. Great book. Unfortunately I loaned mine out and won't ever get it back :( Eli was a great character.
I haven't read the other book yet but I plan to.

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan  (trixiekitten) | 133 comments jennbunny wrote: "I loved Let the Right One In. Great book. Unfortunately I loaned mine out and won't ever get it back :( Eli was a great character.
I haven't read the other book yet but I plan to."

I want to read the book, I saw the swedish version of the movie some years ago & liked it. For me the book version is always better, so this is lookin' good.

message 20: by Edward (new)

Edward Erdelac (emerdelac) | 8 comments I think myself and the circle of friends who watched Let The Right One in are the only people on earth who hated it.

I took a chance on Let Me In a while ago and I thought it was an improvement.

Haven't read the book.

message 21: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments As usual the book is so much better than the movies. Alot more detailed and IMO the characters have more depth and story.

message 22: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I haven't read the book, but I thoroughly enjoyed both films.

message 23: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I felt the book had more development of each character. The movies were good I just like the detail in the book better.

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I thought both were equally good, but the book cleared up a lot of things that were fuzzy in the movie.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 139 comments I love his books! Just like w/ Let The Right One In, with it's unique story about vampires, Handling The Undead also takes a different look at Zombies. The question that this book asks is, "What if the dead just wanted to go home?" Have an open mind when reading this and you won't be disappointed.