SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

August Book Discussions > Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The votes are in and the August Fantasy Theme selection is Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore. I'm about to go pick up a copy and start reading soon.

As we start, any volunteers to be the discussion leader? Bueller? Bueller?

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott I thought this we were going to read this next month so I started reading The Girl Who Played with Fire.

I should start Bloodsucking Fiends near the end of the week.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

oops ... sorry. I know there are alot of books and votes as such flying around as I try to get up a month ahead of ourselves on the voting.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott I just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire and I'm going to start Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story this afternoon.

Hopefully, I'll have something worthwhile to say soon.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I'm assuming this is the no spoilers thread.

I love Christopher Moore and am enjoying revisiting this one. I got it on sale as an audiobook at Audible.com awhile back so this was the perfect opportunity to listen to it.

I have a discussion question to throw out there: What do think nowadays when you read a book published not too many years ago and it has dated/low-tech references?

I was cracking up listening to the beginning to hear references to:
-pantyhose
-L'eggs pantyhose
-green screen CRT's
-payphones
-career girls wearing running shoes while carrying their heels in their briefcase

I actually find it rather charming and nostalgic but of course I experienced all those things. I wonder if others find it annoying or, if you're young enough, perplexing? Does it distract from your enjoyment of the story? It's easy to embrace the world of Victorian London in a Sherlock Holmes story, but books like this are modern enough for these types of references to be jarring. What do y'all think?

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 21, 2010 04:25PM) (new)

Ooooh good topic. I'm only on chapter 4 - 6% into the story but the reference to a pay phone flew right past me - but the pantyhose did strike me as archaic.

Since we crossed a technological threshold somewhere in the late 90's, I think anything set during our lifetimes (which for me starts in the mid-60's) through this threshold can be jarring - especially when I'm not necessarily expecting the book to be set in that period. Books set/written in the 50's or 40's don't jar me nearly as much.

message 7: by Lyndl (new)

Lyndl | 27 comments I've downloaded the sample, I expect to start it tomorrow. I hope this one grabs me :)

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I've noticed that the invention of cell phones threw a lot of mystery writers for a loop. A lot of dangerous situations--out on the lonely road with the killer chasing you...can now be solved with a quick call on the cell phone. I have read books where they have tried to work around it by having the character "hate technology" or conveniently leave their cell phone at home but that always seems very lame and lazy to me. It's interesting to realize how writing has to evolve to embrace changes in culture and technology.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott Anybody want to go Turkey Bowling?

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric (proggyboog) Love the turtles.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott I finished today.

Wait until you see what happens to the turtles.

message 12: by Eric (new)

Eric (proggyboog) Just finished it myself. And I already knew what happened to the turtles when I posted that.

BTW, there really was an Emperor of San Francisco.