Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Talk Genre > Recommendations or "Where to Start" for new SFR readers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda | 82 comments If you're new to SFR and not sure where to start here are some suggestions. Feel free to add other recommendations.
Finders Keepers by Linnea Sinclair Moonstruck (Borderlands, #1) by Susan Grant Forced Mate by Rowena Cherry Girl Gone Nova by Pauline Baird Jones

message 2: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I think it depends.

If a reader is coming to SFR from Romance and just starting with SF, then they might be best off with books like Contact by Susan Grant, or CJ Barry's UnMasked.

If they're coming from SF and not used to Romance, they'd probably be better off starting with Primary Inversion by Catherine Asaro, or Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold. The latter is much more romantic than the former.

If they like both but haven't read any books with both combined then maybe start with Linnea Sinclair's Finder's Keepers or Gabriel's Ghost. Her books are pretty darned close to middle ground.

Just my opinion of course.

message 3: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda | 82 comments Anna C wrote: "I think it depends.

If a reader is coming to SFR from Romance and just starting with SF, then they might be best off with books like Contact by Susan Grant, or CJ Barry's UnMasked.

If they'r..."

That's a good point Anna :)

message 4: by Sparkle (new)

Sparkle (sparkle00) | 13 comments WOW
Those are great suggestions.
I have Linnea Sinclair. Both series so I think I'll start there.

I read both straight Sci Fi AND romance so I think all would do as long as they are good.

I am also reading Hell House right now. That one is well... horror with science mixed in. Not for the romance crowd but interesting theory based on science about hauntings. It's a fiction though.

Thank you very much for recommendations.

message 5: by new_user (last edited Aug 15, 2010 04:16PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments Good point, Anna. I agree that it depends on where you're coming from. If you're an urban fantasy reader, then you're very likely to enjoy Aguirre's Grimspace or Sinclair's Gabriel's Ghost (Dock 5, #1), almost guaranteed. They share a lot of elements.

If you're coming from strictly scifi, then I agree Bujold's Shards of Honour is a great entrée to the genre.

If you're coming from strictly contemporary or paranormal romance, then that's a little tougher. Possibly Deidre Knight's Midnight Warriors series?

Thank you for starting this thread, Mandy! It's a great idea. I think it will be very useful to readers just dipping their feet into the genre.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments Any of Linnea Sinclair's novels are a great starting point, but I would recommend reading the Dock 5 series in sequence.

If you like military SFR, and a good dose of intrigue with your romantic conflict, don't miss Sandra McDonald's The Outback Stars.

A Catherine Asaro novel I really enjoyed was Alpha.

message 7: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I adored the Outback Stars! I'm waiting on the third book to come out in paperback.

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 334 comments I just read one of Tanith Lee's book which was really good and am now reading my second by her. I keep hearing about how she's a really good Sci-Fi author, so I'm plannong on reading more of her books.

message 9: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 56 comments Re: The Outback Stars--I read it, and I loved it, but I'm wavering on picking up the second in the series because it looks a little light on the "R" portion. Can anyone who's read it let me know? Do Jodenny and Myell spend most of the book apart?

message 10: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Yes, the Stars Down Under is not only very light on the R it has a sad spot that brought me to tears. I would NOT read it UNLESS you have the third book to go straight into. Like, immediately after the last page.

I have not read the third one yet but due to the shred of hope at the end of book 2 I believe the sad part is rectified somehow.

message 11: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments I've got the entire trilogy in hard cover, but I can only recommend The Outback Stars, which is my favorite SFR of all time.

The Stars Down Under wandered way too far into weird fantasy-esque landscapes for me, although the first few chapters were fabulous.

Book 3 -- The Stars Blue Yonder -- was better and yes, a good resolution to Terry and JoDenny's story...uh, sort of. It has some great twists, but JoDenny spends much of the book being a bitter old woman...or not. And there's an alien invasion...or not. You'd have to read it to understand what I mean and I'm trying to avoid any obvious spoilers.

I found Blue Yonder very imaginative, where Down Under was just plain weird. (Down Under did get very good reviews though, so maybe it's just me.) If you really enjoy reading The Outback Stars it's worth a look, at least for the first few chapters which build and develop the mystery established in the first book.

Did anyone know Sandra McDonald wrote a series of "alternate universe" drabbles for the characters and posted them online? They contain spoilers if you haven't at least read book 2, but if anyone wants the link I'll try to find it.

message 12: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I'd like the link, Laurie.

message 13: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments OK, Anna. I'll go hunt the link down on my main computer when I get home.

message 14: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments Anna (and anyone interested), here's the link to the Stars Down Under Drabbles on Scribd.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3678713/The...

Note: Heed Sandra McDonald's disclaimer at the start. Some of these venture into erotica situations (but not in graphic detail). These are, after all, alternate universes that are the result of some imaginative What If's...

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) I don't know if this is the right place or not but I read this book Just My Luck by Gail Koger earlier this year....and really enjoyed reading it I was laughing quite a bit through the book

message 16: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Thanks, Laurie!

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Lang | 23 comments This is a great thread. I was about to start a thread like this when I saw this one. Some great suggestions.

I'm a new author who just had a book published that a lot of people consider SFR, though I never set out to write one and haven't really read anything in this sub-genre. I was hoping for some good suggestions to start me off reading SFR.

I'm not into explicit stuff. I like intelligent SF with epic themes and that has romance but not as the main element.

message 18: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments So, Elizabeth, welcome! What's the name of your book? We're always looking for more SFR to read.

Intelligent, epic SF with R--Shards of Honor and Barraryar by Lois McMaster Bujold. The rest of the Vorkosigan series has romantic elements sprinkled throughout but it's definitely epic and, I think, intelligent since even the little things mean something in the bigger picture.

Catherine Asaro's Skolian Empire series, starting with Primary Inversion.

Sandra McDonald's Outback Stars series.

The Lost Fleet series is epic, intelligent and has a very subtle romantic theme that doesn't culminate until the last book. It reads like all six books should have been a single book. I read them all very quickly.

Good to have you here!

message 19: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 20, 2011 09:37PM) (new)

Elizabeth Lang | 23 comments Thanks, Anne! Shards of Honor, Barraryar and The Lost Fleet series sound like a good place to start. Much appreciated.

My own book is called The Empire. The Empire by Elizabeth Lang

message 20: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Thanks, Elizabeth!

message 21: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 156 comments Nichole wrote: "I don't know if this is the right place or not but I read this book Just My Luck by Gail Kogerearlier this year....and really enjoyed reading it I was laughing quite a bit through the book"

This looks fun!

message 22: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Elizabeth, if you read Lost Fleet try to get all of the books before starting because they read a lot like one giant book. There's a bit of 'getting new readers up to speed' in each one but not too bad. They're also short. I think it took me two weeks to read the whole series.

message 23: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Trying to bump this.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I'd like to suggest:

Stardoc (Stardoc Series #1) by S. Viehl and Twist by Colby Hodge .

message 25: by ChaosDuchess (new)

ChaosDuchess | 1 comments I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I read historical romance, paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and sci-fi/fantasy but hadn't come across a Sci-Fi Romance before. I appreciate the suggestions.

message 26: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Glad the thread could help you, ChaosDuchess! :) If you have any suggestions yourself, feel free to add them.

message 27: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 17 comments Arg. I've been hunting for a good new sci-fi romance for a week. I'm a bit picky though.

message 28: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments What are you looking for, Kiersten?

message 29: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments Let us help!

message 30: by Kiersten (last edited Jul 19, 2011 09:32AM) (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 17 comments Well, I'm looking for something that's more based around the romance.

F/M, I'm not really into menage books.
I don't really like military stuff.
A decent amount of is sex good, but heavy BDSM and the darker stuff gives me the willies.
And no TSTL girls.

What do you think?

message 31: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments I'm thinking Beyond the Rain by Jess Granger...

message 32: by Kiersten (last edited Jul 19, 2011 08:35AM) (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 17 comments Ooh. That looks good. Lemme just put that in my TBR.

Any other ideas? I tend to go through books pretty quickly. ;)

message 33: by Kiersten (last edited Jul 20, 2011 08:55AM) (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 17 comments TSTL = Too stupid to live. ;)

I know HEAs are pretty difficult to find when you also want some good steamy love scenes, sci-fi, and paranormal. Maybe I'm asking for too much. :/
I'm a sucker for happy endings.

Thanks for the suggestions!

message 34: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments Maybe Born of Ice, but I'm not a universal fan of that author (I do like that book though).

message 35: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 17 comments Okay, I'll try that one. I do like some of her stuff. Fantasy Lover was good.

message 36: by Jan (new)

Jan (janoda) | 226 comments If you try it, make sure you have the latest re-edited version (I think from 2006) instead of the older 90s edition, because there's some minor differences that play into the series.

message 37: by AnnaM (last edited Jul 19, 2011 01:11PM) (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I hate TSTL heroines.

Hmm. I tend toward the stories that are more SF than R, but here are a few that seem to fit your request that you might enjoy.

CJ Barry's UN- series. I haven't read them all but those I have tended to have just as much or more romance than SF. The heroines are brainy and pilots or scientists, etc.

Jodi Redford's Taking Liberty. The heroine is an agent, the hero a pilot. I love this story. It has only a couple of little speedbumps, but I love this story. It reminds me of the "voice" of Firefly.

Primary Inversion is one of my favorites, but it's not "typical romance"-heavy and she is military so I don't know if you'd like it.

You might like the 2176 series. The first book, The Legend of Banzai Maguire stars a military pilot, but it's not a military story. And the others feature women in different jobs. They're all romance heavy.

Oh, and JD Robb's In Death series.
Or maybe the heartmate series by Rowena Cherry.

I can't think of more off the top of my head and with a little one tapping my arm. You could try the group bookshelf for ideas. I recommend reading the blurbs and reviews though so you aren't surprised by any books.

message 38: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Oh, and maybe Tsunami Blue.

message 39: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Paperbackswap.com :-)

I get a lot of old books that way.

message 40: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Good news about the Un- series. According to CJ's website Unearthed is supposed to be released as an ebook from Carina Press this October.

message 41: by Kiersten (last edited Jul 19, 2011 04:57PM) (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 17 comments Awesome. I put a lot of those in my TBR list. But I couldn't find Rowena Cherry's heartmate series here on goodreads. I see a book called Forced Mate. Was that it?

message 42: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I think that's one of them, yes. It's a long series.

message 43: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 56 comments The Heartmate Series is by Robin Owens, actually. :)

message 44: by namericanwordcat (last edited Jul 19, 2011 08:18PM) (new)

namericanwordcat | 156 comments I like a HEA as well. The Heartmate Series will do you well. Heart Mate

I would suggest the series The Challenge

message 45: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Oops. How'd I get that wrong? Sorry you all!

message 46: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 345 comments I was going to recommend my books until the steamy sex. LOL! No sex, but always an HEA. I like Linnea's books a lot. Not sure about the military angle, though. I'm also not into dark, though I love a great adventure story with a satisfying romance.

Sometimes finding the perfect read is a challenge. That's how I ended up writing books! LOL!

message 47: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 17 comments Pauline, It wouldn't hurt to recommend them anyway. If they're not for me they might be perfect for someone else. :)

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! I've decided what to read next. In order:
Beyond the Rain (Realms Beyond, #1) by Jess Granger Forced Mate by Rowena Cherry Heart Mate (Celta's Heartmates #1) by Robin D. Owens

AnnaM, it was a happy surprise that you got the author of Heart Mate wrong because I found Forced Mate and it looked interesting too.

message 48: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 345 comments Rowena's books are a total hoot. You should enjoy them. :-)

My books are sort of centered around a military expedition, though the last one goes into a steampunk place. LOL! Here they are:

Pauline Baird Jones

The books in order are: The Key, Girl Gone Nova, Tangled in Time (steampunk/sfr), Steamrolled (steampunk/sfr) and a short story in Dreampspell steampunk called Steam Time (steampunk/sfr).

:-)

message 49: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 20, 2011 09:38PM) (new)

Elizabeth Lang | 23 comments Sigh, I've begun The Lost Fleet series, starting with Dauntless.

Is it just me or does anyone find that it's slow to get going? I've read about ten pages and I still have no idea what the main character looks like, his 'voice' seems bland even though it shouldn't be and I'm starting to be lulled to sleep by the passive language and the repetitive word ticks. I hope this gets better.

message 50: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Wow, Elizabeth, that does not sound appealing! I sure hope it gets better for you! Isn't that a long series? Hard to believe the writing could be so poor. :(

Kiersten, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on those, especially Beyond the Rain. I've been interested in that one for a while.

« previous 1 3