Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Short Stories > Unlocked: Ten "Key" Tales (Free download)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaimey (last edited Aug 15, 2010 11:40AM) (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 14 comments On Friday, August 13, a new collection of young adult short stories was released called Unlocked. Visit www.unlockedproject.com to download a free PDF copy.

Unlocked is ten tales by nine authors; the only thing that binds them is a "key."

Back cover blurb:

Treachery in old London, a crop circle mystery, and a cyborg punished for gazing at the night sky open this collection of new stories that will intrigue teens and adults alike.

Fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, and fanciful versions of school life--the motif they share is a key. Which key will unlock a mystery, free the trapped, comfort the rejected, or bring new resolve to a boy who has taken a wrong path? What treasures can we discover if we only find the right key?

Title list:

Assassin's Keeper by Jaimey Grant
Crop Circles by Wendy Swore
Symbiote by Rita J. Webb
Where They Belong by Paige Ray
Survival by Jaimey Grant
Unlocking William by Jeanne Voelker
Shoshanna by K.G. Borland
The Key to a Good Education by Gwendolyn McIntyre
The Bookseller by Katrina Monroe
Her Father's Eyes by S.M. Carrière

Fun and games (including a paperback giveaway) is taking place in the Unlocked group here on Goodreads. Everyone's welcome, so please join.

Thanx for looking and I hope you enjoy the stories!
www.unlockedproject.com

Unlocked by Jaimey Grant

message 2: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (JoshuaCaleb) | 62 comments very intriguing idea. I'm actually curious to read it:)

message 3: by Jaimey (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 14 comments Thanx! I hope you give it a chance. It's an interesting variety of stories. :o)

message 4: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 42 comments Hi from Jeanne Voelker, author of Unlocking William, one of the tales in the short story anthology, Unlocked.

This was a really fun project to work on--ten stories by nine authors. The authors live in all different states and range in age from seventeen to sixty-plus.
The stories, all containing a key of some kind, offer a great variety of characters and plots.

The stories in Unlocked are all original works by Goodreads members. The extra work of editing and cover photography were done by Rita J. Webb and Wendy Swore, who gave themselves even more work by allowing all of the authors to vote on the cover photography and layout. This is truly a group project and one we can all be proud of.

message 5: by Rita (last edited Aug 25, 2010 09:03PM) (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) Hi, all. I'm one of the authors / editors of this project. A lot of hours of writing, editing, polishing, planning, and plotting went into this project, and it was worth every minute of it. I couldn't have asked for a better crew of writers to work with.

I learned a lot of lessons along the way, discovered strengths I didn't know I had, and built some friendships I'll treasure forever.

My hats are off to Wendy who, despite her busy schedule, always went the extra mile. When I was ready to say it looks good, she was going over it again.

My story was Symbiote, the story of a cyborg slave girl who dreams of freedom as she sneaks to the roof to stare at the stars, hoping that the stars would reach down and rescue her. It's my hope that all who read my story will also reach for the stars, for their dreams.

For freedom.

message 6: by Jeanne (last edited Aug 28, 2010 04:32PM) (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 42 comments Rita,

The September-October issue of Poets&Writers features a profile/interview with poet, Major Jackson. This caught my eye:

"I think anyone who practices an art, whether they are a saxophonist or a watercolorist or a poet, when you are writing or creating art, you are exercising a very innate freedom. You are your most free when you create. Particularly when you're not beholden to a particular idea or notion of how a poem should operate." --Major Jackson--

message 7: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) Jeanne wrote: "Particularly when you're not beholden to a particular idea or notion of how a poem should operate."

Thanks, Jeanne. That was a beautiful quote to express ideas I felt but never had the words for. I especially liked that last line; it echoes some things I've recently heard.

I recently picked up a drawing book for us to do as a family. Many famous artists were quoted as having said something that conveys this idea: "Limitations that you put on yourself is what opens your creativity."

Some of the assignments in this drawing book included limitations like not using a hard surface but rather a pillow to support your paper, drawing with your non-dominant hand, not looking at the paper while you draw but only at the item you are drawing.

We can do the same thing with writing. Early this year, I wrote a love story where two people, blind from birth, fall in love. Without the use of visual description, my writing took on a more sensual feel, everything became more tantalizing.

Thanks for sharing that quote, Jeanne.

message 8: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 42 comments And here's the link to Amazon and our new listing for the paperback version of Unlocked

http://www.amazon.com/Unlocked-Ten-Ta...