What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Aurian (Artefacts of Power, #1)
This topic is about Aurian
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Magic series; about mages. Young girl discovers she has magic, works and hides at a bakery. She is found and taken hostage for a while [s]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph (last edited Aug 15, 2010 08:26AM) (new)

Steph | 6 comments It is a series about mages. Young girl discovers she has magic, works and hides at a bakery. She is found and taken hostage for a while. Can't remember who by but is similar to black magician series by Trudi Canavan. I read it about 10 years ago.

message 3: by Steph (new)

Steph | 6 comments I don't think it was that.

message 4: by Mir (new)

Mir | 703 comments Oh! I think I just looked at this one in the library. I didn't read it so I don't know about the hostage part, but it was by Patricia Briggs. Maybe Raven's Shadow?

message 5: by Steph (new)

Steph | 6 comments No this was published too recently. The book I am looking for will have been published before 2000. However it looks a good read so will add it to my must read list.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Ok, one of the sisters in this book works in a bakery. But she's not the one with magic--its the other 2 who have magic. Howl's Moving Castle.

message 7: by Steph (new)

Steph | 6 comments Not this either. In the book people with magic are called mages rather than witches or magicians.

message 8: by Kaion (last edited Aug 19, 2010 09:06PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments Sunshine is from 2004, but look!: http://www.librarything.com/tag/baker... (and seems like it has the kidnapping)

Maybe one of these?: http://www.librarything.com/tag/baker...

message 9: by Snail in Danger (Sid) (last edited Aug 20, 2010 04:21AM) (new)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments I thought of Sunshine right away, but it's not old enough and not a series.

(Also, if there were no vampires and demons, then Sunshine's not what you're looking for.)

message 10: by Mir (new)

Mir | 703 comments Hmm. I feel like there is a manga about this...

message 11: by Steph (new)

Steph | 6 comments No demons or vampires that I remember. I read it while at university and I graduated in 2000 so had to be published before then.

message 14: by Stacie (new)

Stacie H. (staciemh) | 7 comments The only book that I can find that is vaguely like the one you described is:
The Gates of Sleep by Mercedes Lackey

James (m0gb0y74) | 9 comments I know the mage doesn't work at a bakery but she frequents it.

Aurian

It's a long shot, I know.

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 59 comments Is it young adult? Maybe something from Tamora Pierce. She writes about mages a lot.

message 18: by Steph (new)

Steph | 6 comments James wrote: "I know the mage doesn't work at a bakery but she frequents it.

Aurian

It's a long shot, I know."

I think Aurian might be it. I have read this probably around the time I was thinking of so there is a good chance this is the one I was looking for.

Thanks

James (m0gb0y74) | 9 comments Steph wrote: "James wrote: "I know the mage doesn't work at a bakery but she frequents it.

Aurian

It's a long shot, I know."

I think Aurian might be it. I have read this probably around the t..."

Yay :-) I've popped my proverbial cherry and actually managed to identify a book.