Running, Track and Field discussion

Books we recommend

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Douglas, Group Moderator (last edited Aug 15, 2010 08:00AM) (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 97 comments Mod
Hello, fellow members of the Running, Track and Field group. Please recommend books that you believe would enhance our knowledge and appreciation of this great sport, or that we would simply enjoy.

message 2: by Douglas, Group Moderator (last edited Aug 15, 2010 08:17AM) (new)

Let's remember that our fellow member Ben Tanzer is about to publish his new book about running. I recommend it now because there is no doubt we will appreciate and benefit from Ben's work.

Ben, what is the ETA of your book?

message 3: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Meanwhile, for runners' fiction, I recommend Once a Runner: A Novel by John L. Parker. This book was originally a runners' cult classic in the late 1970s. It was difficult to find for a few years, but Once a Runner: A Novel has been republished and is now fairly easy to find.

Once a Runner: A Novel reflects every competitive runner's fantasy: How good would I become if I trained hard in isolation, unfettered and undistracted by the normal burdens of daily life, and then entered the race of my life?

message 4: by Douglas, Group Moderator (last edited Aug 16, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

For biography, I recommend Abel Kiviat, National Champion: Twentieth-Century Track & Field and the Melting Pot by Alan S. Katchen. I am presently reading this fine book which chronicles the life and running of the amazing miler, Abel Kiviak. Mr. Kiviak was the son of poor Jewish immigrants from Poland who emerged as one of America's early international track superstars. Abel stood only five feet five inches, and may have weighed 125 pounds. Yet he regularly beat much taller and seemingly more powerful runners.

From this book, the reader gains deeper insight into the track club system of the early Twentieth Century, increased understanding of the debate over "amateurism," and will long for return of national enthusiasm for competitive track and field.

message 5: by Douglas, Group Moderator (last edited Aug 15, 2010 08:22AM) (new)

To my knowledge, we have at least one writer in our group in addition to Ben. John Karr is a well known fiction writer who is married to a successful triathlete. John is a runner, too.

John, have you written any running books? Please share them with us.

message 6: by John, Group Moderator (new)

John Karr (karr) | 17 comments Mod
Hey Doug,

Nice of you to say, but I'm afraid I'm not that well known ... maybe someday. I've got a couple things I'm working on that are queued up.

Today's longer Sunday morning run of five miles was a challenge, as always. It was a little cooler out but the old body wasn't cranking so well after the first three.

My wife suggested Hal Higdon's book, Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide by Hal Higdon

and website http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar...

thanks
John

message 7: by Ben (new)

Ben (bentanzer) | 11 comments Hey Doug, John and everyone else.

The collection drops tomorrow at cclapcenter.com, thanks much for the interest and support.

I look forward to your thoughts and I am definitely into discussing anything about the collection here for those who want to do so.

And now, some thoughts on the running books I love:

(1) What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami;

(2) Marathoning - Bill Rogers;

(3) Best Efforts - Kenny Moore;

(4) Flanagan's Run - Tom McNabb; and

(5) The Runner's Literary Companion: Great Stories and Poems About Running - Garth Battista

message 8: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

John and Ben,

Thanks very much for these recommendations.

Ladies and gentlemen, these two fine writers recommended these books, so they've got to be good!

Happy reading, everyone.

Douglas in South Carolina

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben (bentanzer) | 11 comments And 99 Problems is live. Thanks all. http://www.cclapcenter.com/99problems/

message 10: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Ben wrote: "And 99 Problems is live. Thanks all. http://www.cclapcenter.com/99problems/"

Yes! Congratulations, Ben. I'm checking it out now.

message 11: by John, Group Moderator (new)

John Karr (karr) | 17 comments Mod
Ben, cool recommendations and all the best with 99 Problems!

John

message 12: by Ben (new)

Ben (bentanzer) | 11 comments Thanks John, and Douglas, runners and writers, wonderbar.

message 13: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

We recommend Ben Tanzer's 99 Problems!

Happy reading, everyone.

message 14: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Abel Kiviat, National Champion: Twentieth-Century Track & Field and the Melting Pot by Alan S. Katchen is a very good track history, as well as biography of one of America's early international track stars. From this book, the reader learns a great deal about the dominance of the track clubs in the late Nineteenth Century into the early Twentieth Century, and the eventual transition to colleges and universities as the growth medium for American track and field talent. The reader will also be exposed to the prevailing training methods for middle distance runners of Kiviat's time period. The reader gains understanding for the American immigration experience of the time. Finally, the reader will enjoy the life story of the colorful Abel Kiviat, who lived to be 99 years of age, and at the time of his passing had seen his celebrity status reborn after lying dormant for over half a century. I commend the book to all track fans and runners.

message 15: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Presently, I am reading The Complete Practical Encyclopedia of Running by Elizabeth Hufton. Published last year, this fine book provides useful information about topics ranging from diet and hydration to training methods to race techniques.

The Complete Practical Encyclopedia of Running is listed in our group's bookshelf. If you are a runner now, of thinking about running, I urge you to read this book.

message 16: by Steven, Group Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2010 04:54PM) (new)

Steven Harbin (stevenharbin) | 45 comments Mod
I just completed Carlisle vs. Army Jim Thorpe, Dwight Eisenhower, Pop Warner, and the Forgotten Story of Football's Greatest Battle by Lars Anderson Carlisle vs. Army: Jim Thorpe, Dwight Eisenhower, Pop Warner, and the Forgotten Story of Football's Greatest Battle by Lars Anderson and found it to be excellent. While it is mainly about college football's early days, Jim Thorpe's track career and Olympics are detailed in the book as well. I'm highly recommending this one to anyone interested in sports, history, and reading about people who triumph over tough odds. As I say, a very good read.

message 17: by Steven, Group Moderator (new)

There are several running related books on my "to-be-read" list at the moment. Glenn Cunningham's Never quit by Glenn Cunningham Never quit is on the list, as is David Maraniss's book Rome 1960 The Olympics That Changed the World by David Maraniss Rome 1960: The Olympics That Changed the World.
A link that might be of interest to some is an interview with New Zealand's Peter Snell (gold medal winner in the 800 in the 1960 games) in which coach Arthur Lydiard and fellow New Zealand runner Murray Halberg ( gold medal winner in the 1960 5000 meters), which I'll link here:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/david-legga...

message 18: by Steven, Group Moderator (new)

Also of interest to me is Rafer Johnson's The Best That I Can Be.

message 19: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Abel Kiviat and Jim Thorpe were roommates on the ocean liner transporting the American team to the 1912 Stockholm Olympics.

Both were extraordinary American champions.

message 20: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Recently, I read The Complete Practical Encyclopedia of Running by Elizabeth Hufton. This book, published in 2009, contains the latest information about diet, training, and running techniques. I believe that you all would enjoy it and find it useful.

message 21: by Steven, Group Moderator (new)

Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't posted much lately. Hope you all are well. I've recently finished reading The Perfect Mile Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achieve It by Neal Bascomb The Perfect Mile: Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achieve It by Neal Bascomb and heartily recommend it. It's basically the story of the main three runners who were chasing the goal of being the first to break the 4-minute mile barrier: Roger Bannister of Great Britain, John Landy of Australia, and Wes Santee of United State. I thought it was an excellent book!

message 22: by Steven, Group Moderator (new)

Douglas wrote: "Abel Kiviat and Jim Thorpe were roommates on the ocean liner transporting the American team to the 1912 Stockholm Olympics.

Both were extraordinary American champions."

I wasn't aware of this, thanks for pointing it out. Neat fact.

message 23: by Steven, Group Moderator (new)

And there is a new bio of Thorpe out, which I'd like to try to read at some point. Native American Son by Kate Buford Native American Son by Kate Buford.

message 24: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Steven wrote: "Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't posted much lately. Hope you all are well. I've recently finished reading [bookcover:The Perfect Mile: Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achiev..."

Steven,

I read this book a while ago. It is well written and a good insight into the training, travails, and thinking of these three very diverse and superstar milers. For those of us who love running and are entranced by the competitive spirit, this is a great book to read.

message 25: by Phil (new)

Phil Reilly | 5 comments For training purposes, Jack Daniels' book is extremely valuable. If you're looking for a look into NCAA Cross Country, Running with the Buffalos is awesome. Running fiction wise, Once a Runner and the sequel Again to Carthage are the benchmarks. For those interested I just wrote my own piece of running fiction, Chasing Ghosts.

message 26: by Douglas, Group Moderator (new)

Phil wrote: "For training purposes, Jack Daniels' book is extremely valuable. If you're looking for a look into NCAA Cross Country, Running with the Buffalos is awesome. Running fiction wise, Once a Runner and ..."

Phil,

Congratulations on your book!

Please advise us how to acquire a copy so that we may support a fellow member's literary efforts, enjoy a good book, and add to your coffers!

Good luck with your book.

message 27: by James (last edited Feb 11, 2021 09:13PM) (new)

James Best (jamesbest) | 5 comments I'm new to the group but I would like to chime in with my own recommendations.

First I will echo my fellow group members in giving a big thumbs up to both THE PERFECT MILE by Neal Bascomb and ROME 1960 by David Maraniss. Both are terrific reads.

Some others I would highlight include:

THE TRACK IN THE FOREST by Bob Burns

DUEL IN THE SUN by John Brandt

BOWERMAN AND THE MEN OF OREGON by Kenny Moore

THE FASTEST MEN ON EARTH by Neil Duncanson

THE DIRTIEST RACE IN HISTORY by Richard Moore

SOMETHING IN THE AIR by Richard Hoffer

Standing by for additional recommendations / discussion