Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart? discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This may open a new area to discuss this book.

message 2: by Pat (new)

Pat | 42 comments Thanks for opening the discussion, Alice. I just finished the book, but it is after midnight and I doubt anyone is up yet to talk to me. I'll be back later in the morning after watering outside plants and a trip to the dog park.

Am looking forward to comments from you and Hannahr and any others who have read or are going to read this book.

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat | 42 comments I swear I keep smelling roses! This was a soothing book for me. The Engish country setting of Rose Cottage sounds so beautiful and relaxing and I loved the quirky neighbors. I fell asleep with plans on how I was going to fix up the place when I move there:)

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Pat wrote: " I fell asleep with plans on how I was going to fix up the place when I move there:)..."

Hmm, better knock first - I might be there before you!
:D

message 5: by Hannah (last edited Aug 15, 2010 03:36PM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Pat,
Did you guess the twist near the end? The first time I read it I didn't, but then I'm normally pretty bad about figuring out those things anyway.

message 6: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments You ladies are tempting me to book a B&B in the country, as well as taking the book with me.

message 7: by Pat (new)

Pat | 42 comments Hannahr, About the twist. I had thoughts about it; especially because of Miss Linsey's dreams/visions, but the way it all came about was surprising and quite cleverly revealed.

Do you remember Henry, Miss Linsey's tortoise, that laid an egg in the spinster sister's garden? I really got a chuckle out of that one.

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) | 405 comments Pat wrote: "Hannahr, About the twist. I had thoughts about it; especially because of Miss Linsey's dreams/visions, but the way it all came about was surprising and quite cleverly revealed.

Do you remember H..."

Hi Pat,
At least you had an inkling about the twist - lol! I'm not too good with forewhadowing...

I can't remember that part with the tortoise. Looks like I need to re-read it - and soon.

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie | 58 comments I don't remember this book! I think I may not have read it yet. I thought that I had read all of her books years ago. I'm going to have to look for this at the library.

Speaking of which--do any of you own a kindle? Do you like it? What do you like/dislike about it?

I'm thinking of getting one for 2 main reasons. 1: I have no place else to put bookcases in my apartment and it would be nice to have the electronic storage and 2: my eyes are getting old and the adjustable font would be nice. What do you think?

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 11 comments I do Nook and have loved it. The screen is clear, the print can be adjusted and I love that I can have a ton of selection on my nightstand without the danger of being crushed to death by a cascading pile of books :-). No Mary Stewart yet though-- not on e :-(.

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana | 9 comments This was a quick read (even quicker because I got the large print second-hand). I did like it even though it wasn't as action-packed as I would have hoped.
It lacked the (living) nemeses which Touch Not The Cat, Thornyhold and The Stormy Petrel had.
I guess it's more of a comforting tea and biscuit read.

message 12: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments I love my kindle, but I still won't buy books if the library has them. There are lots of old classics available for free though.

message 13: by Diana (new)

Diana | 9 comments I buy my books used at abebooks.com. I like to own the books so I can pop them off the shelf at any minute and dive in. I have an e-pad (droid) which I can read a book on. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

message 14: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments My library just started rolling out kindle books, although I'm guessing that will be for the newly released books.

message 15: by Annabel (new)

Annabel Frazer | 99 comments I am reading Rose Cottage for the first time now. I don't suppose there is anyone out there who is also doing so? I'll post a few thoughts when I've finished so if anyone who has read it wants to chat about it then, that would be lovely. I've skimmed this thread without reading it for now, in case of spoilers.

I'm excited to have a 'new' Mary Stewart to read for the first time in years, but also keeping my expectations low as I know her late cosy ones, what some people are calling the 'cottage trilogy', are perhaps not her best. I am far more hopeful about my plan to finally read her Arthurian cycle, something I've avoided for years.

Annabel

message 16: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽, Moderator (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 1048 comments It's been about 3 years since I read Rose Cottage, but I remember it fairly well. I'll be happy to chat with you about it. :) If you keep your expectations fairly low and think "cozy," you'll probably enjoy it reasonably well. I preferred it over Stormy Petrel.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 425 comments It's been awhile since I read it. I remember enjoying it tho. I'll be happy to chat about it. I have a paperback somewhere. I'll look for it. I liked the cozy cottage ones.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 425 comments I've not read Stormy Petrel but I want to. Maybe this summer.

message 19: by Annabel (new)

Annabel Frazer | 99 comments Oh, that's good, thanks. I'll carry on. I hope you like Stormy Petrel, Enchantress - I didn't, but these things are such a personal judgement.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 194 comments Haven't read Rose cottage, but I shall look out for. Acopy.

message 21: by Annabel (new)

Annabel Frazer | 99 comments I finished Rose Cottage this morning. I found it very cosy, as much so as Thornyhold with its emphasis on home-making. (They share this theme with Nine Coaches Waiting.) It's almost like spending a few hours fantasizing about buying an idyllic thatched cottage on a property website.

The plot seemed similar to Touch Not The Cat initially (girl returns to old family home, some uncertainty about identity and inheritance) but it took a different turn. I found the narration a bit meandering - definitely the late-written novels have a slower pace and less peril. It's difficult to say more without inadvertently spoiling it for others but once again I also missed the presence of an initially moody, argumentative hero.

Anyone else read or reread it recently?