Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

YA romance, fantasy, etc > Young Adult Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Aug 14, 2010 07:29PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I know that there are a few of us that enjoy reading YA novels. I was hoping that those of us interested, would start discussing YA novels in this thread.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'll start!

I like reading YA novels because often times the story just has a different tone, and occasionally, I think its nice not to have the really strong sexual tension throughout the book. If there is a love scene, its implied; not that I mind, but its a nice chance of pace from the graphic details I find in a lot of my reading. Plus, I enjoy being able to discuss books with my teeanage niece.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments My YA recs would be Shiver, the Twilight Series, and the Vampire Academy series even though I find that one a little mature at times. Has anyone read The Bronze Horseman? I have a copy that I hope to start reading soon.

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I'd have to second the VA series, I love that one. I also enjoyed Shiver and Linger. I love the Vampire Diaries series and the Forbidden Game trilogy both by L.J. Smith. I haven't read The Bronze Horseman (but, it sounds very interesting Michelle!). Some "old school" YA books that I loved were Mara, Daughter of the Nile and Wolf by the Ears.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane (jenniferlane) | 7 comments Hi everyone! Michelle, is The Bronze Horseman considered YA? I loved that book--I've read all three in the series--and would love to discuss that book with you. I've also read Twilight but haven't read Shiver and Linger yet.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Jennifer wrote: "Hi everyone! Michelle, is The Bronze Horseman considered YA? I loved that book--I've read all three in the series--and would love to discuss that book with you. I've also read Twilight but haven't ..."

Hi Jennifer! The Bronze Horseman was recommended to me by a former coworker who classified as YA, and said that its one of the best books she's ever read. Maybe it isn't? Did you consider it a YA novel? Either way, I'm glad to have a copy. I put in a request for it at the library so long ago that I forgot about it, until I grabbed a copy at a library book sale.

You have to read Shiver when you get the chance. I really enjoyed that one!

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane (jenniferlane) | 7 comments Hey Michelle, thanks for friending me! My friend Riem recommended TBH to me and I was thoroughly engrossed. Alexander, a tall dark droolworthy hunk of love, is one of my favorite heroes ever. Tatiana is a teenager at the start of the series so I do get the YA designation although there are very adult themes throughout. Which brings me to another question: how do you differentiate YA from adult lit when it's on the border?

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Jennifer wrote: "Hey Michelle, thanks for friending me! My friend Riem recommended TBH to me and I was thoroughly engrossed. Alexander, a tall dark droolworthy hunk of love, is one of my favorite heroes ever. Tatia..."

Good question! Its sad, but I really have no idea how to differentiate between YA and adult lit when its on the border. I guess as long as the main characters are teenagers, then it should be considered a YA novel. However, some of the experiences that those YA characters have, are very much adult-like in my opinion. That's where it gets confusing, because in reality, young adults are having some very grown up experiences. Hmmmm..... Let me think about that one some more.

message 9: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) I've been on a YA kick lately though I htink it's about to nd for a while since the drama of the typical teenagers in these books is starting to drive me crazy! LOL

Some good ones:
The Mermaid's Mirror by LK Madigan (not out till October) was fantastic! One of my top 10 reads of the year.
Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (book 2 Crescendo out later this year)
Fallen by Lauren Kate (book 2 Torment out later this year I think)
The Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine

Jackie Kessler Morse has a new series starting next month I think it is that's a YA series about the horseman of the apocalypse. I've read all her books under the name Jackie Kessler which were fantastic (those are most definitely grown up books though). This new series sounds fantastic and have book 1, Hunger, to review but havne't started it yet. A young girl with an eating disorder finds out she is one of the horseman of the apocalypse...

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Kelley wrote: "I've been on a YA kick lately though I htink it's about to nd for a while since the drama of the typical teenagers in these books is starting to drive me crazy! LOL

Some good ones:
The Mermaid'..."

The Kessler Morse series does sound interesting! I'll have to look for that one when its released. I wouldn't expect a YA series to be centered around the apocalypse.

message 11: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Michelle wrote: "The Kessler Morse series does sound interesting! I'll have to look for that one when its released. I wouldn't expect a YA series to be centered around the apocalypse..."

Yeah it's a different premise which is part of what intrigues me about it. Once I get to read it (probably my next review eBook I read) I'll be sure to let you know what I thought.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I started reading Hunger Games, and I can't put it down. I'm certain I'll be going to the bookstore this weekend to pick up the remainder of this series!

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I finally was able to finish The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins ! I'm ashamed that it took me so long to read such a good book. I'm definitely getting the next two in the trilogy as soon as the stores open up!!

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Has anyone read Halo (Halo, #1) by Alexandra Adornetto ? I've been thinking I may as well purchase that one too.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane (jenniferlane) | 7 comments Michelle, I'm late to The Hunger Games as well but I started the series a few days ago and I'm devouring the books. So riveting! I'm almost done with Mockingjay and I'm curious to see if my predictions will ring true.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Jennifer wrote: "Michelle, I'm late to The Hunger Games as well but I started the series a few days ago and I'm devouring the books. So riveting! I'm almost done with Mockingjay and I'm curious to see if my predict..."

Call me crazy, but I hate knowing there's an end in sight for this series. I know some series can go on for too long, and tend to lose some of their "umph", but I was on the edge of my seat reading Hunger Games! Just knowing that 2 more are already published gave some sort of comfort, LOL! I feel like Suzanne Collins told the story in a way that kept me guessing until the final chapter. I'm on my way out to pick up Catching Fire and Mockingjay. Am I in for another sleepless night?!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane (jenniferlane) | 7 comments I stayed up 'til 2:00 a.m. to finish Catching Fire so I'd definitely say that your sleep is at risk with books #2 and #3. ;)

message 18: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I recently read The Hunger Games and I was very disturbed by this book.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane (jenniferlane) | 7 comments It is rather astonishing that it is a YA book. The brutality has stayed with me in a disturbing way after reading it, but it also made me very emotionally engaged in the story.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Jennifer wrote: "I stayed up 'til 2:00 a.m. to finish Catching Fire so I'd definitely say that your sleep is at risk with books #2 and #3. ;)"

Well, I'll just plan on having the entire pot of coffee before going to work then.... and maybe some Red Bull with lunch, LOL!

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa S wrote: "I recently read The Hunger Games and I was very disturbed by this book."

I can definitely see why someone would be disturbed. It's a dystopian/ sci-fi story that's as brutal as brutal can get, and the main characters are children. Like Jennifer, I found the story emotionally engaging. That said, I read a negative review on amazon where a parent was saying that it was required reading for her 7th grade daughter's english class. Now, I feel its up to a parent whether or not their child can read it, but being required for a junior high class is a bit much.

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'd recommend Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Books released so far are:

1.Shiver
2.Linger

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm getting ready to start Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore for another group. Has anyone read that one yet?