The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.7 - Circle of Life

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 20, 2010 09:41PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 9724 comments Mod
5.7 - Circle of Life
Read any book by an author that was born or died in September, October, or November. (EXAMPLES: Mark Twain, J.R.R. Tolkien, Anne Tyler, Agatha Christie, Neil Gaiman)

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 20, 2010 09:48PM) (new)

No -- These books do not fit this task:

message 4: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Here's a website that helps with finding famous authors born in...

September: http://www.famouswhy.com/Born_Today/M...
October: http://www.famouswhy.com/Born_Today/M...
November: http://www.famouswhy.com/Born_Today/M...

Elizabeth (Alaska) I think we used this site before for author birthdays

http://www.authdir.net/

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Great sites, Tanja and Elizabeth. Thanks!

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6718 comments Steig Larsson who wrote The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo died in November 2004... (gives me a reason to read the book!)

message 8: by Kristina Simon (new)

Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "Steig Larsson who wrote The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo died in November 2004... (gives me a reason to read the book!)"

Great book, too. Hope you enjoy it! (Actually, I liked the whole series.)

message 9: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Excellent -- my book club is reading those! We read #1 for August and are doing #2 and #3 for September.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6718 comments I think I saw book 2 and 3 on the big books list for one of the other challenges as well!

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "I think I saw book 2 and 3 on the big books list for one of the other challenges as well!"

You probably did. All the editions I read were over 500 pages (but quick, exciting, and good pages ;o)).

message 12: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments Stephen King is born in September

message 14: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 23, 2010 10:23PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments L.M. Montgomery
Jennifer Echols
Erin Downing
Ben Stein
Christopher Paolini

And on a personal note, it KILLS me that Christopher Paolini is ONE DAY older than me, but is infinitely more successful than I am. *sigh* Although, to my credit, I just made a perfect little baby girl. That was pretty cool. ;)

message 15: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments Can I just say - how many different names does one person need?!

Sept 17 - John Creasey = Gordon Ashe = Norman Deane = Elise Fecamps = Patrick Gill = Michael Halliday = Charles Hogarth = Brian Hope = Colin Hughes = Kyle Hunt = Abel Mann = Peter Manton = J.J. Marric = James Marsden = Richard Martin = Rodney Mattheson = Anthony Morton = Ken Ranger = William K. Reilly = Tex Riley = Henry St. John = Jimmy Wilde = Jeremy York

That's crazy! Apparently he wrote over 600 books using more than 20 different names. Wow....

message 16: by El (new)

El And I've don't recognize any of the 20 names, haha.

message 17: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 188 comments Nora Roberts was born in October.

message 18: by Usako (last edited Aug 25, 2010 11:37AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Nicki -- According to wikipedia, he used 28 different names. WOW!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cre...

message 19: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Gordon Korman was born in October.

message 20: by Liz (last edited Aug 25, 2010 05:09PM) (new)

Liz FALL BIRTHDAYS FROM MY TBR:
Elizabeth Peters (Sep. 29)- Amelia Peabody mysteries
Richelle Mead (Nov. 12) - Vampire Academy series
Alicia Buck (Nov. 25) - Flecks of Gold
Jessica Day George (Oct. 11) - fairytale rewrites
Laurie Halse Anderson (Oct. 23) - Chains, Wintergirls
Karen Kincy (Sep. 1) - "Other" series
Helen Simonson (Oct. 23) - Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

message 21: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments For all of you Sookie lovers, Charlaine Harris was born in Nov.

message 22: by Dee (last edited Aug 26, 2010 05:16AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6718 comments Maggie Stiefvater was born in November - Shiver, Linger...fantasy type books

message 23: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Anyone looking for a good UF read can use Jennifer Rardin who sadly died at the end of September this year. Her Jaz Parks books are excellent if you like Anita Blake/Mercy Thompson type heroines.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2772 comments Anyone know if Kathryn Stockett has a Fall birthday? I thought I saw someone use "The Help" for this task.

message 25: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Anyone know if Kathryn Stockett has a Fall birthday? I thought I saw someone use "The Help" for this task."

I don't show a birthdate for Stockett, only a year (169), and I don't have a record of anyone using her for this task. (If someone has a birthdate, I'd love to add it to my list.)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2772 comments thanks for checking. I went on her website and there was no birth date. I went on the author birthdays list and she was not featured in September, October, nor November.