The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.2 - The Play Must Go On

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 21, 2010 01:26PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
5.2 - The Play Must Go On
Read a play (minimum 70 pages). Since this is a reading challenge, we would prefer that you read a play. However, if your only option is to see or listen to a play, theatre, radio, and audio productions must be at least 2 hours in length to count for this task. Listopia Help: Best Plays Ever, Best American Plays, Best British Plays, Best Non-American and Non-British Plays
OPTIONAL: What did you think of the play? Write a short review.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 12, 2010 09:25AM) (new)

Yes -- These books would fit this task:

The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler
Shakespeare's plays
Pygmalion and Three Other Plays by George Bernard Shaw
Screenplays
The full libretto from an opera

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 12, 2010 09:26AM) (new)

No -- These books do not fit this task:

Shakespeare's sonnets and poems
My Life as a Doormat by Rene Gutteridge
Sweeney Todd and the String of Pearls by Yuri Rasovsky

message 4: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Do we actually have to read the play or can we go to a theatre and watch it?

As audio books are allowed presumably it would be ok to listen to a radio play?

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela | 427 comments Would this be okay?

The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Wendy UK wrote: "Do we actually have to read the play or can we go to a theatre and watch it?

As audio books are allowed presumably it would be ok to listen to a radio play?"

Since this is a reading challenge, we would prefer that you read a play. However, if your only option is to see or listen to a play, theatre, radio, and audio productions must be at least 2 hours in length to count for this task.

message 7: by Kristina Simon (new)

Angela wrote: "Would this be okay?

The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler"

That works.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7543 comments i'm assuming shakespeare is ok?

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "i'm assuming shakespeare is ok?"

Yes, any of Shakespeare's plays will work, but not his sonnets or poems.

message 10: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I think I will read Pygmalion and Three Other Plays? I got it for free!

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela | 427 comments Thanks Kristi!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would My Life as a Doormat work for this?

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Would My Life as a Doormat work for this?"

Sorry, Sarah. From the description, it doesn't seem as if this book is written as an actual play.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Are you serious? It's split into Acts!

message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Are you serious? It's split into Acts!"

The main character is a playwright, so the author decided to split the book into three parts and call them "Acts." However, the book is not a play. Looking at the excerpt on Amazon the book has a narrative structure. It is not written as a play, so, no, it does not fit this task.

message 16: by Tracyj (new)

Tracyj | 122 comments Can you read a screenplay? I've been wanting to read Nick Hornby's An Education and it's in a screenplay format.

message 17: by Kristina Simon (new)

Tracyj wrote: "Can you read a screenplay? I've been wanting to read Nick Hornby's An Education and it's in a screenplay format."

Screenplays work.

message 18: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Oh man, my play for this task is Icebound, which I JUST created a GR page for because it wasn't listed at all. It won the 1923 Pulitzer Prize for drama and was made into a film shortly after. I can't even find a plot summary for it online, and the only listing for it on Amazon has the cheapest copy on sale for almost $75.

Good thing I picked my copy of it up for free! If anybody with librarian powers does know of this play or is able to find a plot summary of it, though, feel free to go edit that in.

message 19: by scherzo♫ (last edited Aug 26, 2010 07:38PM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Caity wrote: "Oh man, my play for this task is Icebound, which I JUST created a GR page for because it wasn't listed at all. It won the 1923 Pulitzer Prize for drama and was made into a film short..."

This is from the forward for Icebound:
"With the production of "The Detour," about a year
ago, I managed to secure some measure of success in
drawing a simple picture of life as it is lived on a Long
Island farm; encouraged by this, I am now turning
toward my own people, the people of northern New
England, whose folklore, up to the present time, has
been quite neglected in our theatre. I mean, of course,
that few serious attempts have been made in the direc-
tion of a genre comedy of this locality. Here I have
at least tried to draw a true picture of these people, and
I am of their blood, born of generations of Northern
Maine, small-town folk, and brought up among them.
In my memory of them is little of the "Rube" carica-
ture of the conventional theatre; they are neither buf-
foons nor sentimentalists, and at least neither their
faults nor their virtues are borrowed from the melting
pot but are the direct result of their own heritage and
environment."
It can be read online at
http://www.questia.com/library/book/i...

message 20: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) pjreads wrote: "Caity wrote: "Oh man, my play for this task is Icebound, which I JUST created a GR page for because it wasn't listed at all. It won the 1923 Pulitzer Prize for drama and was made int..."

Interesting. I never read forwards cause they're usually incredibly dull. Well, it's too late for me to do anything. I was just amazed that Icebound wasn't on GR at all before I added it.

message 21: by Leigh Ann (new)

Leigh Ann (leighannflyingonsilverwings) Would Sweeney Todd and the String of Pearls work for this task? I'm not familiar with plays so I'm a bit lost with this task.

message 22: by Kristina Simon (new)

Leigh Ann wrote: "Would Sweeney Todd and the String of Pearls work for this task? I'm not familiar with plays so I'm a bit lost with this task."

No. We're looking for something that's written in the format of a play. Here's a Wikipedia description of a play. And here's an example of what the format looks like (it's about 1/2 way down the page). You can also try just searching for "Plays" here on Goodreads.

message 23: by Janet (new)

Janet Berkman (jannie_b) Can I read a libretto from an opera? I have a copy of MOZART: MARRIAGE OF FIGARO that contains the full libretto (79 pages)

message 24: by Leigh Ann (new)

Leigh Ann (leighannflyingonsilverwings) Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Leigh Ann wrote: "Would Sweeney Todd and the String of Pearls work for this task? I'm not familiar with plays so I'm a bit lost with this task."

No. We're looking for something tha..."

OK, no problem! I think I'll do Hamlet then.

message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

Janet wrote: "Can I read a libretto from an opera? I have a copy of MOZART: MARRIAGE OF FIGARO that contains the full libretto (79 pages)"

That works.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I am sorry if this have already been covered but I have a question. Would musicals count?

message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "I am sorry if this have already been covered but I have a question. Would musicals count?"

It depends. We're looking for something that's written in the format of a play (not just something that's performed on stage). If you're not sure what the format of a play looks like, check out the links in message #22. For example, Rent would work (check out the Google Preview button below the "add to my books" on the book page to see what the format looks like), but something like Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (which has the narrative structure of a novel) would not.

message 28: by Kristina Simon (new)

Janet wrote: I have just seen the opera "Death in Venice" and am reading the novel by Thomas Mann on which it is based. Would this count for this task?

The intent behind this task was for you to broaden your reading horizons by reading a play in the format of a play. However, the official task states: "if your only option is to see or listen to a play, theatre, radio, and audio productions must be at least 2 hours in length to count for this task." So, as long as the opera you saw was at least 2 hours long, it will count.